Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,334,057 times

Advertisements

Sometimes these scam contractors "scope" out your belongings while they are working in and around your house. They then come back when you're gone to burglarize you. I have that T-shirt. Right now there's a young man (40s) who has bugged me for three years to paint my barn which is full of tools and antiques. Without proof of insurance, bonding and lots of references, he's not likely to ever get the job.

America has always had highwaymen. However, the percentage rates in the population seem to have greatly increased in recent years and laws and morals mean nothing to these folks. Additionally our leadership has failed. They only seek to be reelected at any cost until such time as they can get their publicly funded retirements. I heard someone complain on TV recently about America going back to the wild west days what with the CCW laws and "Stand Your Ground" laws. I don't conceal carry but I do sleep with a loaded .38 within arm's reach. There seem to be no other solutions but to protect yourself and your own as the situation grows worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Sometimes these scam contractors "scope" out your belongings while they are working in and around your house. They then come back when you're gone to burglarize you. I have that T-shirt. Right now there's a young man (40s) who has bugged me for three years to paint my barn which is full of tools and antiques. Without proof of insurance, bonding and lots of references, he's not likely to ever get the job.

America has always had highwaymen. However, the percentage rates in the population seem to have greatly increased in recent years and laws and morals mean nothing to these folks. Additionally our leadership has failed. They only seek to be reelected at any cost until such time as they can get their publicly funded retirements. I heard someone complain on TV recently about America going back to the wild west days what with the CCW laws and "Stand Your Ground" laws. I don't conceal carry but I do sleep with a loaded .38 within arm's reach. There seem to be no other solutions but to protect yourself and your own as the situation grows worse.
Soo---you are advocating that the elderly pack heat?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,425,824 times
Ask a lot of questions like who the person is, where are they calling from if it's a phone solicitation. Don't ever give anyone any information about yourself if you did not initiate the call. Don't ever order anything if you did not initiate the call. Put them on "call block" on your phone. If they continue to call using different numbers, tell them you will report them to the FTC.

Close the door in someone's face who knocks on your door trying to sell you something. Better yet, don't open the door to them at all. It is not rude, you didn't invite them in the first place.

I just try to follow the tried and true adages: If it sounds too good to be true, it is so don't do it, there's no such thing as a free lunch so turn down that "no charge to you" offer.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Soo---you are advocating that the elderly pack heat?
I'm certainly not advocating it for anyone who fears a personal weapon more than a mugger who will probably have one.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Ask a lot of questions like who the person is, where are they calling from if it's a phone solicitation. Don't ever give anyone any information about yourself if you did not initiate the call. Don't ever order anything if you did not initiate the call. Put them on "call block" on your phone. If they continue to call using different numbers, tell them you will report them to the FTC.
I don't answer any phone numbers attached to unfamiliar area codes or those that do not show the calling number. For those strange area codes that do show, I will not answer them, then search them out on the internet. If they are telemarketers, I add the number to my cell phone's address book as "TELEMARKETER - DO NOT ANSWER." Very seldom am I bothered with these sorts of calls anymore.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I don't answer any phone numbers attached to unfamiliar area codes or those that do not show the calling number. For those strange area codes that do show, I will not answer them, then search them out on the internet. If they are telemarketers, I add the number to my cell phone's address book as "TELEMARKETER - DO NOT ANSWER." Very seldom am I bothered with these sorts of calls anymore.
I never give my cell phone number out to anyone. It's used only for outgoing calls. But I don't use it that often anyway. I also use my landline's caller ID but I have a problem with some callers coming up as "Private Caller" like my sister who lives in another state. Even though she is in the phone book, she comes up this way every time so I pick up. Unfortunately, sometimes "Private Caller" is a telemarketer. One or two other friends' numbers show up in my called ID this way as well that's why I don't add "Private Caller" to my call block.

At one time I had so many numbers in my call blocker it was full and I couldn't add any more. This even though I subscribe to the "Do not call" list. These people found a way to get around it. Most were charities and some were computer repair scams that somehow are able to link into my computer and tell me they could "fix" it. They have heavy Indian accents and tell me their names are "Steve" or "Joe." I finally got rid of them by getting my computer completely updated and got rid of their spyware. Also the last time one of them called I told them I was taking care of the problem and to never call my number again and slammed down the phone.

I felt a little guilty doing the last part. I think our generation has been taught to be polite and not be rude to people but sometimes we just have to forget what our parents told us and let 'em have it!

I renewed my name on the "Do Not Call" list and that helped. But it seems that call-bots can still get through.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,417,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I never give my cell phone number out to anyone. It's used only for outgoing calls. But I don't use it that often anyway. I also use my landline's caller ID but I have a problem with some callers coming up as "Private Caller" like my sister who lives in another state. Even though she is in the phone book, she comes up this way every time so I pick up. Unfortunately, sometimes "Private Caller" is a telemarketer. One or two other friends' numbers show up in my called ID this way as well that's why I don't add "Private Caller" to my call block.
In my experience, when someone shows up as "Private Caller" (not talking about telemarketers) it's due to a setting on their end. My girlfriend's husband had their phone service set up this way, but changed it when family and friends complained to them.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
In my experience, when someone shows up as "Private Caller" (not talking about telemarketers) it's due to a setting on their end. My girlfriend's husband had their phone service set up this way, but changed it when family and friends complained to them.
I will ask my sister to call her phone service to see what they can do. I don't know if she comes up that way on anyone else's caller ID. The odd thing is occasionally she does come up under her name.

I think what I may do in the future is just let the phone ring and tell her to leave a message. That way I can pick up right after she calls and if I know she has called I can get right back to her.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,660,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
These types of problems apply to everyone, not just seniors. Victims don't have to be old, just naive.
Agreed. The answer is to punish those that victimize others fast and hard. I do mean fast and hard.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,506,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
There used to be an itinerant family that preyed on elders in the St. Louis area. Every year or two they'd stop by and convince an elderly person that they could roof or repair the driveway or fix the furnace. I think they sometimes convinced them of the need for the repair.

At any rate, they did the "work" but it was always unsatisfactory, and of course the family was gone by the time this was understood. I believe they hit in the spring, and probably moved on to another community as the season progressed.

I imagine that this is not that unusual anywhere.
In my area this happens, too. The police arrested the contractor and found he
made a practice of cheating the elderly. However all the money was spent.
If I remember correctly, a bank teller alerted the police when the
old man withdrew a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement