Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

I doubt this is an issue just in Los Angeles. Looking around I can see many whose health probably isn't the best yet who obviously do little or nothing to make it better. Most obvious are the morbidly obese. In the end it costs them dearly and the rest of us as well. Unfortunately, you can lead a horse to water...

L.A. seniors confident about aging, yet many don't manage health - latimes.com

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-30-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Not having seen the survey questions, I do wonder how many of the people responding are actually more in denial than they are "positive" or hopeful (about their future and their health).

I would also ask - was there a breakdown by ethnicity and cultural background, b/c I think how one views the future -- as well as one's health - is also affected by such things as religion and neighborhood/community attitudes.

For example, in some cultures, it is not unusual for folks to rely heavily on religion and God's will instead of being proactive about their health. "If God is willing, then I'll be able to walk better soon." Or . . . "God knows what is best; if he wants me to get better, I will get better."

The food one eats, too, is heavily influenced by culture and neighborhood (what is available as well as what is commonly eaten/served) as well as economic status.

Educating folks about health issues needs to be targeted to the groups with particular issues. Genetically, African Americans who are descendants of slaves often have problems with sodium, as during the migration on slave ships, dehydration was common and many died. Scientists have discovered a common genetic trait in many slave descendants . . . high sodium levels (and thus, high blood pressure). Health education should include specific information to African Americans re: controlling blood pressure with diet. This needs to start when people are young, not when they are 65 or older.

We can't start being concerned about health, nutrition and exercise at retirement. And we need to provide targeted information to populations that we know may be particuarly susceptible to specific health issues.

If eating certain foods prepared in prescribed ways is part of a culture (and that often means - neighborhoods, as well) then the education has to be towards teaching new and different methods of preparation . . . people are going to stick to "what grandma did" if the food is a big part of their culture.

In addition, economic status also affects what one eats as well as what types of physical activities are common within the person's culture. Middle class Americans living in the burbs typically take walks in their neighborhoods. Folks in low socioeconomic urban areas may not find it safe to take walks in their neighborhoods, especially alone and after age 65. That is when a Senior Center could be so helpful with providing daily exercise programs in a safe environment.

Then there is the affinity all Americans seem to have with fast food . . .

The bottom line is . . . if people are eating what satisfies them, then they are often feeling content about "how" they eat - and are not apt to change, even if they are overweight. It becomes acceptable to be overweight. Trying to introduce new habits at 65 isn't going to have very favorable outcomes.

And many of our health issues are specifically tied to what we eat and how much exercise we get on a regular basis, i.e. diabetes, cardiac health, blood pressure. Although there is no magic solution through diet and exercise, doing the right things can certainly mitigate various risk factors, if those habits are developed early in life.

However, if one looks around one's community -- sees others living in much the same manner -- and everyone is dealing with similar health issues (obesity, diabetes, arthritis, etc) -- it is easy to slip into a "this is my fate" sort of attitude and even if one might express that everything is going to be alright and the future looks bright . . . they may simply be in a form of denial more than actually optimistic or "positive" about the future.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Nothing like getting the bad news from a doctor on something you've been wishing away or ignoring.
On the other hand, there are so many things that we don't control regarding health. I recently read a comment by one woman whose husband got cancer "and he's always been vegan!" No wonder people blame people who become ill. My sibling thought she got cancer "because I didn't forgive our mother for the past." I thought it might have more to do with 25 years of heavy smoking, or maybe the fact that some 13 immediate relatives had cancer and were part of an obvious genetic cluster.
Being rational can be a hard way to go sometimes!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Looking around I can see many whose health probably isn't the best
yet who obviously do little or nothing to make it better.
The same can be said about attending to their financial health.
Actually... the sense of pointlessness and futility may be related.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default Yes, the culturally determined minset is so important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would also ask - was there a breakdown by ethnicity and cultural background, b/c I think how one views the future -- as well as one's health - is also affected by such things as religion and neighborhood/community attitudes.

The food one eats, too, is heavily influenced by culture and neighborhood (what is available as well as what is commonly eaten/served) as well as economic status.

We can't start being concerned about health, nutrition and exercise at retirement. And we need to provide targeted information to populations that we know may be particuarly susceptible to specific health issues.

If eating certain foods prepared in prescribed ways is part of a culture (and that often means - neighborhoods, as well) then the education has to be towards teaching new and different methods of preparation . . . people are going to stick to "what grandma did" if the food is a big part of their culture.

In addition, economic status also affects what one eats as well as what types of physical activities are common within the person's culture. Middle class Americans living in the burbs typically take walks in their neighborhoods. Folks in low socioeconomic urban areas may not find it safe to take walks in their neighborhoods, especially alone and after age 65. That is when a Senior Center could be so helpful with providing daily exercise programs in a safe environment.

The bottom line is . . . if people are eating what satisfies them, then they are often feeling content about "how" they eat - and are not apt to change, even if they are overweight. It becomes acceptable to be overweight. Trying to introduce new habits at 65 isn't going to have very favorable outcomes.

And many of our health issues are specifically tied to what we eat and how much exercise we get on a regular basis, i.e. diabetes, cardiac health, blood pressure. Although there is no magic solution through diet and exercise, doing the right things can certainly mitigate various risk factors, if those habits are developed early in life.

However, if one looks around one's community -- sees others living in much the same manner -- and everyone is dealing with similar health issues (obesity, diabetes, arthritis, etc) -- it is easy to slip into a "this is my fate" sort of attitude and even if one might express that everything is going to be alright and the future looks bright . . . they may simply be in a form of denial more than actually optimistic or "positive" about the future.
Perceptive and insightful as usual, Anifani. I just quoted parts of your post to which I wanted to respond.

First, I agree it's far, far better to develop good habits concerning diet, exercise, and other matters early in life. But it's sometimes possible to change habits upon retirement and it's not too late to make a difference! (See Younger Next Year by Crowley and Lodge).

Second, it's so true that people often get stuck in a mental rut and don't want to make any changes, especially when the rut is reinforced by most of the people around them. My father, who died at age 85 twelve years ago, had marked postural issues (humped back and stooped shouldered) the last ten or twenty years of his life. He believed in aerobic exercise and walked and hiked, but something like yoga which might have helped with his posture was just not on the radar of people of his generation - he was born in 1915. I'm not saying yoga is the end-all and be-all of maintaining good health, but I am using that example to illustrate cultural mind-set.

Hell, yoga was not on my radar until I was about 61 (eight years ago) and attended a class at my gym just as a lark (curiosity to experience first hand what it was). My balance, flexibility, and strength are better now than they were eight years ago when I retired. Are they impressive? NO! But better, yes! I'll take the improvement any day.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
The average, even the above average conscious consumer has not been exposed to the information that could most affect their health for the better. You have to be a fairly dedicated health nut to uncover the vital information and fight hard to overcome a lifetime of ingrained habit.

I was able to reverse the direct road to diabetes despite an adult lifetime of eating healthy foods. What I did not realize all those years was that you can eat what is touted as"health food" and still be damaging your health (so much of the health foods are manufactured processed foods like juices, "natural" this and that, etc.)

Dr. Neal Barnard's program for reversing this condition is well documented. The difference between me and my sisters (me, better educated, they, wealthier) is a commitment to finding solutions even when there appear to be none. One sister is struggling with her adult onset diabetes but has lost a ton of weight, however she still eats processed foods and wheat products. My other sister has gone on to diabetic neuropathy and still doubts that I did what I did. Unfortunately I found out almost too late in life what modern genetically modified wheat does to our health but when I did, I jumped on it immediately.

I have friends with PhDs who are respected in their fields and have not a clue about the correlation between food and exercise. Some of them are struggling mightily with serious illnesses and others just blessed I guess by having a good start in life (perhaps mother's milk, decent diet when young, etc). I did not have any of those advantages and had to overcome the poor start beginning in my 20s when I cured myself of ulcerative colitis.

I'm not saying that everyone who tries to go the natural route always wins. But there's such a thing as hedging one's bets and for me, I would not be alive today if I had not taken my health into my own hands (there is no conventional "medicine" that could have directed me to health). At least whenever and however I die, I'll know I did my best to take the high road even though the poor health early years could catch up with me.

But boomers in general still have a shot at getting healthier, or at least stabilizing—we just have to read the best sources and commit to it.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
LOL it doesn't surprise me that there are lots of seniors out there who talk big about taking care of their health, but don't really do anything other than talk about it. Why should seniors be any different from the other age groups? And maybe some people think they're being healthy, but their idea of "being healthy" means walking around the block or adding a leaf of lettuce to half-pound burger topped with friend onion rings. That's a good beginning, I suppose, but if that's all you do you aren't really "being healthy." That's my opinion, though. Others might think differently.

At the same time--does it matter? We'll all die of something sooner or later, anyway. We're all adults, I figure anyone who has made it to retirement has earned the right to live life the way he/she wishes. Personally I enjoy doing a lot of physical activities and getting fit but that's just the way I am. It's not for everyone.

On a related note, I find it interesting how this is one of those issues where retirees sort themselves into groups. And how easy it is to have your view of retirement affected by which group you're in!

I've become one of those active retirees, and as a result I hang out with other active retirees. So I tend to think of retirement as a very active time and retirees as being very health conscious people. Everyone I know does more or less the same amount of physical activities as I do. Some do a lot more. You should see some of the retirees I know who are training or the Marine Corps. Marathon! They're inspiring to me. Never thought I would ever want to be in a marathon but the more I hang out with these guys the more I think in a year or two I could be ready to do it. And why not? I'm retired, I have the time to train and it's a good goal for these early years before some disability finally makes me give it all up. And if I achieve it it'll be a good memory to look back on.

I suppose in a few years I'll slow down but for now I'm enjoy life. This is the first summer since I was 15 that I didn't have to work, and I'm making the most of it. Maybe I'm just making up for the fact that when I was working I mostly sat for 8-10 hours 5 days a week. And soon enough I'll be 80 and tired and sitting for hours yet again. These early retirement years are a little window of time to play all day if you want to--and that's what I choose to do.

The same goes for healthy eating--I've always tried to eat well in my working days, but it wasn't always possible. I often snacked on donuts or whatever other goodies my coworkers brought in. And I didn't always have time to cook. I didn't always have time to buy fresh produce. Now I have that time, so I'm taking advantage of it. My friends are into eating healthy, so the just seems to me like something the typical senior does. Of course the reality is it's what the typical senior who happens to be in my circle of friends does.

Am I weird? Probably. At the same time, there seem to be a lot of people out there who are like me. At least in the area where I live. Northern VA usually tops the list of places where people like to work out so that may account for it.

One last note: I went to a Steve Miller concert, and almost everyone attending that concert was 55 or older. Lots of people in their 60s and 70s--yet everyone was rocking out and dancing as if they were still 20. And I saw plenty of these people walking the 1/4 mile up hill to the theater, too. Now who am I to say these people are all healthy--but they sure did look relatively fit if they were walking up that hill and then dancing during the show.

Very encouraging to see so many people my age and older looking so energized. You guys know I'm a photo bug so naturally I took a few photos of Steve--but I took a lot more photos of the crowd just because it really tickled me to see so many seniors rocking out. Of course, the next day a lot of them probably felt pretty sore.... but if you can still rock and roll like that you're still in shape (I think)

Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
^^^

What you seem to be talking about is all a matter of style. My San Clemente CA sister who is 70 is a big Metallica fan and sports bleached long hair and wears what she thinks are cool clothes. She is thin as a rail. Just because she "rocks" and thinks "young" (in her case, more infantile, lol) does not mean she;s healthy, far from it. She smoked all her life and although "vegetarian" (animal cruelty angle) her idea of a meal is canned soup and saltines.

Active does not necessarily mean healthy, just as "natural foods" do not necessarily mean healthy – in and of themselves. I see guarding our health as a combination of healthy habits. Someone who can do no more than tai chi or yoga and cannot walk or jog miles is not necessarily less healthy than someone who does. As I said, hedging our bets is imo the best way to go. Everyone approaches health differently, and everyone has a different set of challenges to work with or overcome.

Here's an inspiring woman: http://safeshare.tv/w/cdaBSBkGKr

Old 07-30-2013, 06:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Active does not necessarily mean healthy, just as "natural foods" do not necessarily mean healthy – in and of themselves. I see guarding our health as a combination of healthy habits. Someone who can do no more than tai chi or yoga and cannot walk or jog miles is not necessarily less healthy than someone who does. As I said, hedging our bets is imo the best way to go. Everyone approaches health differently, and everyone has a different set of challenges to work with or overcome.
I agree! As an example, every once in awhile you see some news article about someone always who ate the healthiest diet possible yet still died from disease. Another one of life's little ironies. At the same time, most doctors agree that eating a healthy diet is more likely to give you good health than eating junk food. Especially true for seniors, IMO.

Regarding tai chi and yoga, I absolutely agree those are healthy things for seniors to be doing. Which kind of brings up a gripe I have with this article. The author was saying half the seniors in LA who were in this survey weren't setting healthy goals at all. But she was vague about a lot of important details. Like anifani I have to wonder who was surveyed and if there's some sort of cultural aspect at play. Otherwise it's kind of hard for me to believe. This is LA we're talking about--people there tend to be into working out a little more than in other places. When I lived in LA I sure knew a lot of people doing both those exercises. If you're regularly attending a tai chi class or a yoga class, wouldn't it be fair to say you've set a healthy goal for yourself? I'd say so, but then again that's just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Regarding tai chi and yoga, I absolutely agree those are healthy things for seniors to be doing. Which kind of brings up a gripe I have with this article. The author was saying half the seniors in LA who were in this survey weren't setting healthy goals at all. But she was vague about a lot of important details. Like anifani I have to wonder who was surveyed and if there's some sort of cultural aspect at play. Otherwise it's kind of hard for me to believe. This is LA we're talking about--people there tend to be into working out a little more than in other places. When I lived in LA I sure knew a lot of people doing both those exercises. If you're regularly attending a tai chi class or a yoga class, wouldn't it be fair to say you've set a healthy goal for yourself? I'd say so, but then again that's just my opinion.
Good point, which I understand completely. My explanation: the greater L.A. area has millions of people with many sub-cultures based on many factors including ethnicity, religion, and socio-economic status. I would say the "trendy" people (there is probably a better word, but I'm not coming up with it at the moment) are into things such as yoga and tai chi. But not everyone in L.A. is "trendy", not by a long shot. Plus, the interviews were conducted with older folks, and the real wave of popularity of exercise seems to be among the younger set, defined broadly as being, say, under 60 or so. There are several large gyms within a four or five mile radius of me, and they are all well-attended. So I do understand the seeming contradiction you are pointing out, and indeed, it would be good to know how the interviewees were selected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement