Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 07:55 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
What does your disability stop you from doing?
How has it changed your life?
What concessions do you have to make, because of your disability?
Are you alone, or do you have a partner/spouse to help you?

The answers to these questions seem to keep popping up, with regard to making a researched decision about where to retire.

What I'm learning, from all the work I've been doing, online, is that the 3rd question is the one I have to keep going back to..... because not all concessions are about my disability. Finances are something that I can't change, needs for my disability are things I cannot change, but possibly giving up the "perfect weather conditions" I want, may have to change.
Funny, but just today I was trying to decide what I could give up in terms of weather to have other things I may need more.

It was really hard for me to adjust to disability in the early years. I kept hoping I would wake up from a bad dream and be back at work again. After 20 years, I still have trouble accepting the concessions it demands of me. I get angry that I can't just pack up and move without intensively researching whether the new place I would like to go will work for me with my disability. I get angry about not having the amount of money I could have had for retirement, which would make moving, even disabled moving, so much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
What I'm learning, from all the work I've been doing, online, is that the 3rd question is the one I have to keep going back to..... because not all concessions are about my disability. Finances are something that I can't change, needs for my disability are things I cannot change, but possibly giving up the "perfect weather conditions" I want, may have to change.
This is untrue for many actually disabled people, perhaps most. A physical disability isn't a condemnation to an unproductive life.

Years ago when I was a young man I worked on La Salle Street, Chicago's financial district. In front to several buildings I'd see long lines of limousines parked at the curb while their chauffeurs waited patiently. Men as well as a small sprinkling of women would come out and stride over to their cars. But I remember one who came very slowly and with great difficulty. He had metal crutches and barely staggered to the curb. However, his driver assisted him only in opening the door just as the others did. Obviously this was a very successful gentleman. His disability was real.

The number of Americans on government disability has soared under the Obama regime from 3% of the population to nearly 6%. A good number may do far more than painfully stagger when they walk. But few seem to try to build productive lives that may allow them to leave the world of the physically disabled. Anyone who can use a computer typing articulate material can work and build income. The best-paying work is work of the intellect as it has always been.

I have heard of people who became "disabled" after coronary surgery but of others who returned to work. I once encountered a specimen who collected disability because he had sleep problems and convinced physicians that he couldn't have gotten up for a regular job. I guarantee if he'd lost that status he would have found a way to get up. There are people who have disabilities that prevent normal activity but others who could adjust.

Everyone has problems. But the fact that someone won't strive and keep striving to improve his life provides no reason for complaint.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:45 PM

437 posts, read 649,582 times
Default If you're not DISABLED, shut yer pie hole!

We're already established that YOU'RE NOT DISABLED, so how DARE you insult us with your "opinion", which is like listening to a child trying to reason with an adult!!

Writing on this thread, a though we're cancer patients, or sick people, who are gonna beat it, or get over it, and move ON with our lives, is so absurd, it's beyond my comprehension why you continue to post on this thread!

SOME of us are getting a PITTANCE from SSDI, and have no retirement funds, and have to live on what we get, ALONG with our disability... that NEVER GOES AWAY.

smh

*some people really need to be schooled.... or slapped upside their head*

bullie~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is untrue for many actually disabled people, perhaps most. A physical disability isn't a condemnation to an unproductive life.

Years ago when I was a young man I worked on La Salle Street, Chicago's financial district. In front to several buildings I'd see long lines of limousines parked at the curb while their chauffeurs waited patiently. Men as well as a small sprinkling of women would come out and stride over to their cars. But I remember one who came very slowly and with great difficulty. He had metal crutches and barely staggered to the curb. However, his driver assisted him only in opening the door just as the others did. Obviously this was a very successful gentleman. His disability was real.

The number of Americans on government disability has soared under the Obama regime from 3% of the population to nearly 6%. A good number may do far more than painfully stagger when they walk. But few seem to try to build productive lives that may allow them to leave the world of the physically disabled. Anyone who can use a computer typing articulate material can work and build income. The best-paying work is work of the intellect as it has always been.

I have heard of people who became "disabled" after coronary surgery but of others who returned to work. I once encountered a specimen who collected disability because he had sleep problems and convinced physicians that he couldn't have gotten up for a regular job. I guarantee if he'd lost that status he would have found a way to get up. There are people who have disabilities that prevent normal activity but others who could adjust.

Everyone has problems. But the fact that someone won't strive and keep striving to improve his life provides no reason for complaint.

Last edited by bullie62; 08-10-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Funny, but just today I was trying to decide what I could give up in terms of weather to have other things I may need more.

It was really hard for me to adjust to disability in the early years. I kept hoping I would wake up from a bad dream and be back at work again. After 20 years, I still have trouble accepting the concessions it demands of me. I get angry that I can't just pack up and move without intensively researching whether the new place I would like to go will work for me with my disability. I get angry about not having the amount of money I could have had for retirement, which would make moving, even disabled moving, so much easier.
Yes Wind..... I understand. I experience anger, frustration, moments I wish I'd wake from a bad dream.... And then reality always returns, and I'm faced with doing the best I can, with what I have. And it's not how I saw myself, even seven years ago. That someone is still feeling this, after 20 years, only reiterates the inner conflict that goes on, no matter how long some of us try to move on.

Coming to a place of acceptance is not an easy "action". It's great and positive and vital, for those of us who must now re-negotiate our lives, and some never get to that place.

Working with the constraints of a disability, whatever that may be, along with all that life is now, (because of that disability and/or occurrences that now have them re-inventing their dreams), leaves us with a set of problems/challenges/circumstances that we have to navigate. And doing so alone, is at times, daunting.

It's difficult to not look back.... and see how we could do 'this' or 'that' if it weren't for our present circumstances. And we know that's not healthy. THIS is what we have to work with, and I'm hoping those who are DISABLED and alone, and wanting to find the strength and some ideas of what to do, where to go, HOW to do it, will be enlightened by something someone says on this thread.

Keep the positive energy going! We're not alone.... anyone who is going through this, GETS IT.

bullie~

Old 08-10-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
We're already established that YOU'RE NOT DISABLED, so how DARE you insult us with your "opinion", which is like listening to a child trying to reason with an adult!!

Writing on this thread, a though we're cancer patients, or sick people, who are gonna beat it, or get over it, and move ON with our lives, is so absurd, it's beyond my comprehension why you continue to post on this thread!

SOME of us are getting a PITTANCE from SSDI, and have no retirement funds, and have to live on what we get, ALONG with our disability... that NEVER GOES AWAY.

smh

*some people really need to be schooled.... or slapped upside their head*

bullie~
Reread my previous post. You may or may not be able to get over it but if you can interact on this forum you can work. You said you're fifty-one. You should have a decent hunk by that age.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 PM

You have NOTHING of WORTH to say........ so, umm, yeah, NO.... I won't be re-reading ANYTHING you have to spew. Carry on........... OH... and the door is that way----------------------->

Only a pathetic, lonely, "greater than thou" would be trying to espouse their "words of infinite wisdom" about something they know NOTHING about. p*ss off, poster............. you are of no worth on this thread. zzz-zz

Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
You have NOTHING of WORTH to say........ so, umm, yeah, NO.... I won't be re-reading ANYTHING you have to spew. Carry on........... OH... and the door is that way----------------------->

Only a pathetic, lonely, "greater than thou" would be trying to espouse their "words of infinite wisdom" about something they know NOTHING about. p*ss off, poster............. you are of no worth on this thread. zzz-zz
I received a suggestion that I look at your profile. I never knew that "filing for SSDI" is an occupation. Apparently you're not officially disabled. Since you have an occupation I wonder why you're on the subforum aimed at elderly and retired people. Retirement is for people who no longer wish to work and who have accumulated the financial resources to implement it.

All of us on this forum have some age-related problems. But those who aren't retired are seemingly managing day-to-day affairs including work. There are people whose lives are seriously impaired because of devastating disabilities; there are others who effectively mock and ridicule those people by equating conditions which are common in old age as equivalent to blindness, paralysis, and other genuinely disabling conditions.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM

Carry on, beautifully, disabled, ABLE, and amazing people. Leave the fish bait for those who need it.

bullie~

Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Bullie and others reading the forum who are disabled and perhaps hesitant to post: I don't know the person posting such mean messages here. It could be a 20 something troll who is trying to disrupt this forum for fun. The best thing to do with trolls is to ignore them.

Bullie, I remember the stressful early years of trying to get SSDI processed while also dealing with the new and huge limitations on my way of living, and I sympathize with you. Let's see if ignoring the troll helps, or if a moderator has to step in.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I haven't been following everything that's been going on but I also had a great deal of difficulty obtaining SSD. I live in the most difficult state in which to obtain it. I was told this by someone whose wife was once one of the people on the board who approved the claims. People actually requested a change of venue just to get a fair hearing.

So I sympathize with those who are in need who are struggling to get approved. I know all about those who criticize them as undeserving because the critics don't realize how fortunate they are not to be in that situation.They are usually people who have never had to struggle for anything or if they have, cannot understand those with limitations require them to seek help.

There will always be people who just don't get it or who are so cold and callous they don't want to get it. They are best ignored. You never know, someday fate will hit them in the butt with the same situation. More than likely, though, they will live their lives in ignorance. Let them. It's not worth the stress in dealing with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement