Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My second guess is less religious people these days and those less religious people don't think suicide is a sin.
This would be my guess. Throughout history there have always been people who "wanted out" but didn't take that route because their religion said it was a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Because we were born into the best of times in this country and have watched it all go to crap?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Another perspective—you do not have to be depressed in planning your exit

http://www.gazettenet.com/artsentert...oman-plans-how

I don't know if I would do this, however I cannot predict what circumstances I will be in near the end of life and I do want to call the shots if I am able.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I'd like to die in my sleep as some of my parent's friends did. They just went to bed or took a nap and never woke up.
I wonder how many took a few extra sleeping pills to help them get over the edge of life ?

We used to live to be in our 60's with a quick death. Now we stretch that out to where an 85 year old has a terminal illness.
He then avoids the pain and heartbreak by taking his life.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
People commit suicide when they can't gather the energy to go on. Whether this is due to clinical depression, medications affecting brain chemistry, or just worn out from fighting a losing battle, when the time comes that you can't muster what it takes to keep putting one foot in front of the other, you start considering your options.

We worked out butts off to raise kids, pay off mortgages, put a little away for our retirement only to find our grown kids still moving in and out of our homes and needing to "borrow" money every time we turn around.

Our nest eggs and pensions were robbed, our homes aren't worth anywhere near what we had been counting on.

To add insult to injury, the government we've been making regular contributions to all these years now acts like we're all a bunch of moochers.

We've been put out to pasture and begrudged the grass. I see nothing on the horizon that would lead me to believe that the suicide rate for those over 60 is going anywhere but up.

While some people soldier on because of religious beliefs against suicide. Others look forward to heaven.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
I know of two who simply willed themselves to death without "props." One was my father at age 71 and a year after my mother's death from pancreatic cancer. The other was my former father-in-law at about age 56. As a literally hope-to-die alcoholic he simply gave up on life. I have no idea where those types of death fall when considering religion. My father was an atheist and my FIL a life-long, observant, cradle-Catholic. Either way, they're both at peace.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I wonder how many took a few extra sleeping pills to help them get over the edge of life ?
This is not as uncommon as you might imagine.

Overdosing on insulin. Taking too many pain pills. Combining alcohol with medications....

Some do this to spare their family the heartache of suicide. Life insurance policies typically cover accidental deaths but not suicide.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Either way, they're both at peace.
Which is what many yearn for.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper
I also believe the shame of suicide needs to be eradicated. I feel its a persons right to decide how they end their own lives, and folks shouldn't be so horrified about it.

Sometimes this world can be an ugly grim place and I don't blame anyone for wanting to get off.

It is absolutely possible and, I suppose, a right for each person to decide to terminate their life whenever they choose to do so. By all means, life can be tough and throw you curves. But is it also their right to saddle their survivors with the pain, the doubts, the guilt that go along with such an act?

A very tough question. But can it just be possible that some human beings have had enough of 'life'? Life to them is not rejuvenation but a relentless drift to dessication. I can understand but yet I cannot imagine the pain that those thoughts engender. Yes we are all human beings and I'm sure without a doubt can empathize but really I don't think we cannot dive deep to the very soul of another human being and fill in the so-called blanks. Really in the end we are all alone with ourselves to make the big decisions. I firmly believe it is a human right.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
I'm reading "The Final Leap" - about the suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge - the top suicide site in the world. Out of the recorded approx. 1600 suicides since it opened in 1937 (it's believed that there are closer to 2000 but many have never been recovered and are believed to have been washed out to sea), 37 have survived.

While most are younger people there are many that are 55+. Of those interviewed after they recovered, most said they regretted their decision the minute their hand left the railing. I understand many older people make this choice due to terminal illness but I wonder how many of the others would feel today if they had been rescued and given the psychological help they needed.

The survivors told storied of utter despair and complete loss od hope and many now are living wonderful lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement