Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,358,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Guess the Hippocratic Oath went out with "under God."
Not where we live, on both counts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 AM

6,875 posts, read 11,198,738 times
Smile I have done the same as below even though I'm not of Medicare age

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Interesting! I always wonder if doctors refusing to see Medicare patients is a myth. It is certainly a popular notion.

My plan is to continue paying cash, and, if I decide to enroll in Medicare, to let Medicare reimburse me. I hope this is still possible.
I've had some interesting experiences throughout my life and I've paid for doctor visits most of the time b/c it's cheaper and then file it, however, I am exempt from anything vision related so that was always paid by check or credit card.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:15 AM

25,601 posts, read 56,310,551 times
I've said this before, but will repeat. Drs. refusing Medicare patients is most often reported on CD by residents of GOP governed states, primarily in the "south" - NC, TN, GA, AL, AZ, TX, etc. However, there are reports of this practice in certain areas of CA, as well.

We have a very large older population in Milwaukee. There is no refusal of Medicare patients here that I've ever heard of. We are home to several really large hospital networks and a Medical teaching college/hospital one mile from my house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Is this a nation wide trend?
No, it's not a nationwide trend. From my perspective, it is a political/regional trend based on comments made on CD over the past couple of years. Although Curmudgeon lives in a red state and he has no problem whatsoever. The link he provided on rural Medicare clinics shows many in even the recalcitrant areas cited by some of the posters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
This makes me more grateful for where we live. Mom, who is 80, moved here from another state. She got a Medicare Advantage plan and immediately found a primary care doctor right across the street from her complex. She has received good care and her plan is associated with the hospital only a mile away.

We do live in a big Midwestern city with great health care facilities and probably more competition for patients.
You're in a northern industrial state - Indiana, aren't you? I'm pretty certain MN, WI, IL, Indiana, don't have these problems. The UHC Advantage network where I live is huge - covers all hospital and most doctors. No problem, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That is fortunate. We are planning to retire in Colorado Springs and have been trying to locate a doctor that will accept new Medicare patients, and after two years looking have found a grand total of = 0.
Again, a different political mindset/philosophy of many residents. Find a Kaiser network in Colorado. People who participate in Kaiser plans are very happy. Here's one in Colorado Springs:

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-02-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,761,712 times
I am confused about something.

The first post stated the hospital administrator interviewed physicians who all denied refusing Medicare patients, but the OP found exactly that.

Were the docs lying or just unaware of what the office folks were doing?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,194,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I am not wealthy, lol whatever that means, in case anyone is wondering. It is my experience that people who have money don't want to pay for their own health care any more than people who can't afford it.
Also, part of the problem is that many going into medical school are going into specialized areas
because they can make much more money. This has created a shortage of internists and general practitioners.
Regarding health insurance, there may be some who cannot afford it, think they will never need it
or have minor health problems. For those of us who pay for their own health insurance we do it
because things can happen & life can throw you a curve example: a car accident due to some nut.
If paying by cash, that person would need a substantial savings account.
What's next.... a self check counter like in a supermarket?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,340,691 times
We live on Cape Cod where there is a large elderly population and docs couldn't survive if they didn't take on medicare patients. This said, my husband's primary care physician who is close to retirement age himself dropped my husband when he got to be medicare age. So I don't know. I'm 63 and when searching out a new physician I now ask if they're BCBS preferred and do they accept medicare because I don't want to change again down the road.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 PM

25,601 posts, read 56,310,551 times
Further comment regional differences. Medicare reimbursement rates vary by region.

It would be interesting to know reimbursement rates for doctors in states which are more prone to denial of service for Medicare patients than in the northern, higher COL areas?

Also, by population. Less densely populated areas more prone to deny Medicare?

Are the two connected? Less densely populated areas = lower reimbursement rates?

One, somewhat astounding, article on the subject, here:

Michael Kitchell: Medicare reimbursement varies by region | Ames Tribune

Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,991,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Further comment regional differences. Medicare reimbursement rates vary by region.

It would be interesting to know reimbursement rates for doctors in states which are more prone to denial of service for Medicare patients than in the northern, higher COL areas?

Are the two connected? Less densely populated areas = lower reimbursement rates?

I think you may be right about the regional differences. I haven't heard 1 person claim to be having trouble in this area. I recently had an MRI and I asked my doc if medicare patients were a "problem". Either she was a good actress due to the subject being hush hush or she clearly believed it wasn't. I mentioned that maybe it was in certain states where there were an overwhelming # of retirees and she thought that might be the case and mentioned it was probably more prevalent in the southern states

I understand this study was done in the Midwest but the Midwest is a big area.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,917,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Did you call and also try to make an appt. saying you had X brand insurance (that they accept) and see if they took you on or got you in sooner?
That was my thought, that way you get a true Idea if they are actually full or just discriminating.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM

852 posts, read 789,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Interesting article. Brings to mind a couple of things.

First, what's the logic behind the disparity?

I realize that in higher COL areas real estate, utilities, etc all cost more. But is that Doctor or Nurse really worth x numbers of dollars more than the one getting paid less to do the same thing? What’s the profit margin?

Second, you or Umbria may be onto something as far as age and demographics are concerned. Are there more Medicare eligible people living in southern states?

I bet the answer is yes.

And if there are, does that skew the numbers lower for reimbursement? Like all insurance, the larger the pool, the cheaper the rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement