U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM

606 posts, read 560,425 times

Advertisements

Having blessed others, given to the recycle store or trash, items from the shed, garage and kitchen;
at this time of my life, no longer need items. Feel so much lighter and---less to clean !

As Christmas, birthdays approach, will tell folks, if you must wrap a pretty box, put in it a slip of paper
telling me you are giving me the gift of love, a prayer, telephone call or lunch though no physical object---PLEASE !

For myself, give the gift of giving a ride for an errand, say prayers, when possible, give throughout the year, when an item is need. Grandchildren, I choose to remember on their days with a special item, the children, a special meal for them.

Believe in Dear Abby, to us older folks, a gift certificate to a barber/hair salon, postage stamps, favorite
place to shop, dine or grocery store is most welcome. Receiving flowers, most of all hearing from friends, family, is always the best gift of all !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 PM

678 posts, read 848,931 times
I give my mother (87) lots a cards for various occasions (birthdays, anniversary, baby, etc) that she can send all throughout the year without having to go shopping when an occasion creeps up. I actually enjoy picking all different ones out for her.

My favorite gift to get....gift certificates. Love when my kids give these to us.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,600,824 times
We (husband and I) ceased to pay attention to Christmas and birthday gifts many years ago, after the children graduated from college, started on their careers and began to live their own lives. Since then, we (us and the children) give gifts to each other at random, as need or wish arises.

My daughter always sent me flowers for my birthday, Mother's Day, and whenever I was under the weather or feeling blue. In between those occasions and in no specific pattern whatsoever, she often sent me beautiful yarns and special teas simply because I'm a knitter and tea drinker, sent my husband special orders of Graeter's Ice Cream and Bouchon's macarons simply because he loves them, and put money in his account with the message "For Bingo Only" simply because she knew it would give him a kick.

A few years back, she sent me the entire works of Georgette Heyer (64 books) for birthday/Christmas (my bday is 5 days before Christmas, and I love Georgette Heyer). It took her and her husband 5 months and dozens of orders from bookstores all over the country to amass the books. She secretly sent the (huge) package to the hotel where my husband and I stayed, had the books laid out on the floor of the room before we arrived. I walked in, saw the books, and couldn't stop the tears. Last year, she sent me the works (17 books) of Erich Maria Remarque, another author I have loved forever. No carefully planned surprise this time, but I cried nonetheless. My daughter knows we don't have space for the things we don't need, but she also knows that I'd always find space for the books I love.

Above all that, the children never ceased to give us the best gift of all: their times. Husband receives daily phone calls from his daughter about hers, her husband's, and the grandchildren's activities; I receive calls, texts, or voice mail messages -- sometimes with just a simple "I love you" -- from my daughter once or twice a week. They also truly enjoy spending time with us during visits, and that, to me, is another best gift of all.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-03-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 03:55 PM

3,761 posts, read 9,646,682 times
We bring my mom presents of food that she might enjoy. I share my shrimp because Costco sells in one pound containers. I share my homemade chicken noodle soup because I make so much.

We got her an airline ticket to see her brother as an Xmas present.

I bring her yarn I find so she can continue making crafts which she gives away.

I share wallhangings and quilts but take them home when I switch them out.

We eat with her for holidays so she is not lonely.

You are right that more stuff to store and clean is not good for presents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or