Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times

Advertisements

I execute my positions on Fidelity myself. Just created a bond ladder the other day. I sold all my bond funds recently, and still wanted safety. Point is their website is pretty simple, and it may even be cheaper. Not sure about that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If I remember right it was Schwab but at least one poster explained why.

We use Schwab and have never experienced that problem. But you never know...

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I have tradeable accounts in TD Ameritrade and Fidelity. Fidelity is the simpler of the two sites BUT - I always get the highest possible cost trade execution from them if I use "market." If a stock has been trading in, say, a .10 cent range in the last 5 minutes, it is ALWAYS the highest of the range. I could use limits (and I do for some stocks) but generally when I decide to buy something, I know the price I want and I only put the order in at that time.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
No names mentioned. I recently sold some shares in a mutual fund and told them to purchase shares in a different mutual fund (same company)

I do not pay close attention to my funds (my wife says little if any) but yesterday I went online to check statements. The shares had been sold but the new ones had not been bought. The money was sitting in a cash account.

I called the company. I was told the fund I wanted to buy into was closed for new purchases. I said all well and good but why was I not called/notified of that. They had no answer. They are going to investigate what happened (they opened a dispute claim) but I do not expect anything as a result of it. I then bought into another fund.

Mea culpa...but always check closely.
And as you noted, therein lies the problem. I am always amazed when people say that they don't monitor their investments, they don't reconcile their credit card statements with their receipts, or they don't balance their checkbook (if they even have one). No company, no matter how large and no matter its reputation for quality, is 100% accurate in performing its functions. Not monitoring how their actions (or inactions as the case may be) affects your finances is just foolhardy.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And as you noted, therein lies the problem. I am always amazed when people say that they don't monitor their investments, they don't reconcile their credit card statements with their receipts, or they don't balance their checkbook (if they even have one). No company, no matter how large and no matter its reputation for quality, is 100% accurate in performing its functions. Not monitoring how their actions (or inactions as the case may be) affects your finances is just foolhardy.
I would have sworn Mrs. Tek wrote this if not for the name.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
I agree with the others that you MUST confirm things. Actually I'm surprised you didn't get an email. I invest with several online firms including Fidelity and I get an email for EACH and EVERY transaction so I'm surprised you didn't see that you didn't get an email and note that it never went through.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I agree with the others that you MUST confirm things. Actually I'm surprised you didn't get an email. I invest with several online firms including Fidelity and I get an email for EACH and EVERY transaction so I'm surprised you didn't see that you didn't get an email and note that it never went through.
I did admit I was at fault. That said, with so much info (mailings, Email, sales stuff, etc.) it is getting easier and more common to "overlook" things.

Not blaming Fidelity more then anyone else, but I get so much "crap" from them it is almost a fulltime job keeping up with it and separating the wheat from the chaff.

As an example. Is leaving a voice mail for someone relieve one of the responsibility of being sure one knows? If I left the message, is it your fault for not getting it.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Folks if desired may want to be sure they ave signed up for E-confirmation. I know just to look for email from confirming when anything from auto contributions etc etc etc.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
I think you can opt out of certain emails from Fidelity. I remember I used to get a bunch as you mentioned, but I opted out of several except for a notice when my monthly account statement is available and ALL trade confirmations.

I do agree with you it's good to stay up to date on this stuff. Especially in this day and age of technology where it's mostly do it yourself. I much prefer these days with $8 stock trades. I still remember paying upwards of $100 to a stockbroker to make a trade.

Those were the days when you actually had to really think twice before you really wanted to buy a stock.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
If you want to have any chance of thwarting an unauthorized transaction, you have to catch it quickly (within hours) - doesn't do anyone any good to notice it days/weeks/months later. I also get a confirmation email from V every time we have ANY transaction. So if we got an email without making a transaction, we'd be all over it. I consider it a very, very important part of security and I've never overlooked an email from my brokerage no matter how many others we get. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement