Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Then again the OP states she only "has to buy APARTMENT insurance for her own belongings" in a townhouse she owns which, makes no sense to me because who pays for the interior structure, kitchen cabinets, toilets, etc? They must do things differently up there in Mass. I hope her roof doesn't leak and destroy her flooring/cabinets/etc or she may have a little surprise when the "apartment insurance" doesn't cover it. Or maybe hubby handles "the bills" so she's sheltered from pesky things like homeowners/condo insurance and HOA regulations.
Wow! And here's another reason for not reveling in my 55+ situation, I could have neighbors like you who think they know me then write a whole soap opera about my situation.

1) I've been paying the bills for 42 years. 2) I've never referred to my husband as 'hubby' it's so Ozzie and Harriett and you're showing your age. 3) Yes, we only have apartment insurance. We're only responsible for (this is the way it was explained to us) what would shake out if you were to turn our townhouse upsidedown. 4) A neighbor had extensive water damage and the HOA's insurance covered her damages, floors cabinets, walls, etc.) in full. 5) What's it like to be a know-it-all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I guess not but can you assure one that a price won't have to be paid?? Humans are social animals and things heat up in stratified communities. People like people joining up for things. Some people don't and perhaps can take it to the extent that you're being off-putting to them if you don't. You believe you're not but that's the vibe they feel in any case. You know how people can be!!!..One thing is we're creaking a bid but hey we got life experience....;-).... Now I'd think if anyone joins a 55+ community it has to be EXPECTED that you will be partaking of activitities. And if not, why are you there then? You see that has to be the 'norm' from the get-go. Also I'd think there'd be a social hierarchy to manage. hehheh Life sure doesn't look easy at a 55+! Sometimes I'm thinking it just could be tougher living with a group of people in a place than managing to live on 'your own' on a nice tree-shaded Maple Street in Anytown USA. Heck it could be like camp when you were a kid but now patience is no longer a virtue in one's life...;-)...
For the reasons you imply (in bold), a 55+ would never suit me. To me such places are a microcosm of social hierarchy in the "outside world." The typical activities such as pool, tennis, clubs, etc do not interest me. I can access arts & cultural activities on my own or, as I age, through the various senior centers or other networking. I went with a group of 55+ community members (who seemed to be about 65–75) to a one-day lobster fest and sea excursion and was sorely depressed on return. Never do I want to be only among that age group again. (I did try to converse, light stuff as was appropriate for the occasion.)

The only reason I would consider it, however, is for "safety" when much older. But then I could attain safety in a well-managed apartment complex.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think 55+ communities are really populated by people about 20 years older than 55. We settled in a small quiet subdivision, and it is fine for us for the time being. The former owner was probably in her eighties.

I think the OP doesn't like to think of herself as old. And the probs with so many rules keep us out of condos. So I relate.
I was looking into the Del Webb in Mesquite. Really beautiful place to live, but I'm only 54 and most of the residents were quite a bit older. I was introduced to the local 'tennis champ'. The guy was about 70. My serve alone would have caused him heart failure. LOL.

I opted for a non age restricted, 24hr. guarded gated community.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
I was looking into the Del Webb in Mesquite. Really beautiful place to live, but I'm only 54 and most of the residents were quite a bit older. I was introduced to the local 'tennis champ'. The guy was about 70. My serve alone would have caused him heart failure. LOL.

I opted for a non age restricted, 24hr. guarded gated community.
Those places should be called 65+ communities. Even so, most people seem to be a lot older than 65.

I wouldn't want guards and gates though. What or who are they trying to keep out????

Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
[quote=Darthfrodo;31650264]I was looking into the Del Webb in Mesquite. Really beautiful place to live, but I'm only 54 and most of the residents were quite a bit older. I was introduced to the local 'tennis champ'. The guy was about 70. My serve alone would have caused him heart failure. LOL.
quote]

Don't be too sure that you can beat that "old guy." Some of these players with years of experience are really fast on their feet and can figure out where that ball will land and get there before you can blink!!!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

Don't be too sure that you can beat that "old guy." Some of these players with years of experience are really fast on their feet and can figure out where that ball will land and get there before you can blink!!!
We've got a guy like that at our senior center. Loves to hustle the newcomer guys into friendly bets, too. He'll gladly wipe the floor with you and take your money. I don't know how he does it, but it's always fun to watch him play.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM

247 posts, read 243,572 times
I'm 61 and live in a 55+ community. I don't know what the average age of the community is, if I had to guess I would say 75-80. I do know this. As older people move out, younger people move in. I would guess that in 10 years the average will be substantially lower, and we will be average for the community.

Most people who live here are open and friendly, the welcome newcomers to activities and the community as a whole encourages that. Our neighbors are great and we get together almost every night. I think that is because we are all retired and thus don't have a list of things we have to do after getting home from work. We have more time to socialize.

There are several people who do not participate in any activities which just means that the pools, tennis courts, and facilities in general are less crowded.

I have good friends that wouldn't be caught dead in a 55+ community and I don't have a problem with that. For us it is a good fit. We have lots of ammenities, a reasonable HOA fee, a fair amount of security, and I don't have to listen to the kid down the street race up and down the street all hours of the day and night.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I don't have to listen to the kid down the street race up and down the street all hours of the day and night.
I agree with everything you said, and very much so the last part. But I must admit -- I miss the sound of young children laughing. (Of course, I don't miss them crying either.)

With this and all the other threads about moving in retirement, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this -- but we probably all know this: If we're not basically happy where we are right now, we may very well not be happy, in the long run, any place else either. The first year or two in a new place can seem like a long vacation. But after that -- every place has at least a few major problems. We ourselves have a lot to do with our own happiness. Not necessarily the place where we reside.

With that said: altho' I've come to love NM for a number of reasons, I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life here, and I am looking forward to moving out of state. I wish I had done a lot more investigating before I leaped to a new state after retiring.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wouldn't want guards and gates though. What or who are they trying to keep out????

A 70 year old tennis instructor with a much younger wife.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
A 70 year old tennis instructor with a much younger wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement