Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 AM

16,375 posts, read 30,176,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
The communities are all different. We have big dogs here and also fenced yards. Most of the people are women singles, not coupled. There is a small clubhouse and a pool too. I could ask one of 4 neighbors for help if I needed to. I feel safe, it's gated and everyone waves and is friendly. You have to explore your options before you choose.

Same here. Nearly everyone here has a dog and there are no size or quantity limits. The ONLY rule - one that is mandates by county ordinance - is that you have to have the dog on leash at all times and that you clean up after it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,023,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
The communities are all different. We have big dogs here and also fenced yards. Most of the people are women singles, not coupled. There is a small clubhouse and a pool too. I could ask one of 4 neighbors for help if I needed to. I feel safe, it's gated and everyone waves and is friendly. You have to explore your options before you choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Same here. Nearly everyone here has a dog and there are no size or quantity limits. The ONLY rule - one that is mandates by county ordinance - is that you have to have the dog on leash at all times and that you clean up after it.
This validates there are options as to where one selects to live and if the 'rules' at one community don't adhere to one's preferences, there are others that will be more suited.

To each their own is the 'rule'. Hopefully people are able to live where they prefer.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,754,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
You're KIDDING!!?? Never heard of that out this way. That is GREAT for you I'm rather stuck here in SE PA or N DE (low taxes) because my only family member lives out here, an older brother. I am THOROUGHLY pleased to hear that AZ accommodates big-dog "families."
Us too! The only limits we have are the city mandated ones, like no more than three dogs (any size/breed). If you have more than three, you have to get a kennel license. There's a leash law too but that applies to everyone in the city, not just the 55+. And we all have fences or the option for them. The homes that border the golf courses can have either no fence or wrought iron at several height options. All the other homes have six foot wood fences. The lots vary from about .10 acre to about .66 acre for the double lots. I'm in Northern California. Not all 55+ are the same.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,064,847 times
This thread is four years old -- but certainly still relevant.

To the OP the only thing I'd wonder is .....s/he says s/he DID check out the rules...but moved there anyway.
What did s/he expect? As far as I'm concerned, s/he moved there with his or her eyes open, and then complained.

Not everyone has the same info available to them, so I can't be be so unfeeling about disappointment about the situation. (Although the tone of her complaints was very dismissive, almost demeaning)
But even though the rules say 55+......of course I'd expect that the real age of most residents would be WELL above that.

Realistically how many people 55-65 really do move into those communities? Uh, not many.
Of course I'd expect most people there to be over 70.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:35 AM

11,171 posts, read 15,966,442 times
Quote:
I could never live among many people and rules. But for those who do, God bless; it's fabulous that it suits you. Most "big-dog people" are banned anyway, as are fences. When I can no longer mow my own lawn, I'll hire someone. I'm self-aware enough to know that loners (for the most part) would not thrive there. My guess is that it's more couples than singles, correct?
Where did you get that idea? When we were looking into 55+ communities, we never came across such a restriction. In fact, in most active adult communities, there are very few restrictions when it comes to owning a pet, particularly for those who live in single-family homes.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 AM

8,247 posts, read 8,596,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Realistically how many people 55-65 really do move into those communities? Uh, not many.
Of course I'd expect most people there to be over 70.

Most of them. All of the new people I meet are in their 50's and early 60's. The majority already here are over 70 but that number is dropping. Subtract the snowbirds and the average age really drops. Snowbirds are dying off. Younger people want 1 home but will travel more throughout the year.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:30 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,859,398 times
Rules for pets are different in each community. In our last one (just south of Charlotte, NC) in SC it was a max of 3 animals and a few were excluded, such as reptiles, snakes and ferrets. Fences were permitted using a choice of several styles. The only thing was that the lawn people wouldn't come into any fenced areas for their own safety, plus you had to keep it cleaned up to prevent odor. There were all sizes of dogs there.

The one we are in now, in north Dover DE, does not allow fences to allow for the mowing. There is a restriction on number, it's either 2 or 3, and there are also all sizes of dogs. We have everything from chihuahuas to German shepherds here. In fact there is a dog about 80# or so right behind us who is a real sweetie pie.

In both you are required to keep your pet on a leash if our and clean up after them. But both of those, IMHO, are just common courtesy. The reason for number restriction is so that the homes don't turn into a noise or odor problem. Again, read the rules and ask questions. And if they don't suit you then the community isn't for you. If you are a person who can't stand to abide by rules, then an HOA period isn't for you whether it be in a 55+ or not.

As far as age, we moved into our first one when we were both 56 and had lots of neighbors in the 55-65 age range. Also some older, but never saw anyone who just wanted to sit around and do nothing. There were about 3200 homes there so there were tons of different ages. We moved into this one 7 years later and also have a large variety of ages. Most of the newbies are in the 60-65 age range, but there are older. I can truthfully say there are some older here that have more energy and "get up and go" than I do, but most of that is due to my botched hip replacement and current recovery from surgery. There are some that you would never guess are in their 70s from their energy and activities. My neighbors across the street are in their 80s and she is out several times a day walking her dog and does a lot of work with her plants. Sorry but I would rather be around these wonderful people than have to deal with loud parties, screaming kids and teenagers with their loud cars and obnoxious music. Common courtesy has gone out the window.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,209,589 times
Quote:
I could never live among many people and rules. But for those who do, God bless; it's fabulous that it suits you. Most "big-dog people" are banned anyway, as are fences. When I can no longer mow my own lawn, I'll hire someone. I'm self-aware enough to know that loners (for the most part) would not thrive there. My guess is that it's more couples than singles, correct?
I moved to this town in part because the cost of living is very low. I have a small house built in 1931, and property tax even I can pay. I know I don't really 'fit in' here but am one of those who wouldn't a lot of places. And I'm a major loner, except for the four legged kids. A place like this with, um, *different* politics would be great. But not affordable.

I had to decide to stay where there were more of 'me' around or where I could have a much better economic situation, but as a loner sort its not bad that I'm not too social. I get very frustrated some times, but then the advantages make up for it. But part of satisfaction is a good enough level of security that your home and personal likes have to be modified. But sometimes its a different way to open a door you haven't tried.

I'd like someone to hang around with, some person really like me. Since most are probably 'in hiding' I'm looking into ways to find more. So never give up and don't feel that you 'must' pretend just to be 'acceptable'. Your road is out there somewhere.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,209,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Most of them. All of the new people I meet are in their 50's and early 60's. The majority already here are over 70 but that number is dropping. Subtract the snowbirds and the average age really drops. Snowbirds are dying off. Younger people want 1 home but will travel more throughout the year.
Just curious, how does an indoor cat figure? I'm not making plans but a place where pets are accomidated would be an option, maybe, sometime. I've always had both, and the cats and dogs get along wonderfully without getting into squablles.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:10 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,552,752 times
Quote:
I've seen specific breeds banned (think pit bull), but never a size restriction. There is a development in Florida for retired mail carriers that bans all dogs. But if there is a size restriction anywhere it's an anomaly. One I've never heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement