U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM

419 posts, read 541,783 times

Advertisements

Glad your decision is made. What a relief that must be. Just the not wondering and the endless questions and "what-if's" that go on and on. Sounds like you have a wonderful plan on the remodel. Good luck to you and have fun. Love remodeling and decorating. A new and fun chapter in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 PM

38,697 posts, read 45,086,710 times
Decision Made - We're Staying Put. Confucius say: You velly wise man...

Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,988,207 times
A very best decision. Maybe include in some of the upgrade plans some ideas to allow ageing in place less painful down the road.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM

9,159 posts, read 6,344,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
It's always a big decision to relocate. I snow bird and I had reservations about it, but I found after doing it, I am glad I did. Eventually I will make the Florida home my full time residence. Just can't stand the winters anymore.
We have noticed a lot of snowbirds making that same decision to stay here in Sw FLorida.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:07 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,060,479 times
Default "Is this Heaven? ... No it's Iowa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Iowa. City, not that far from rural, which is pretty much true for any city here. None of them are that big. We're in West Des Moines. Except for winter it can be heaven on Earth.

Minutes from health care, two hospitals, dentists, eye docs, a huge mall, every store you could possibly want, enough restaurants to keep anyone happy, and a city government that's very efficient.

Then it snows and blows and gets cold as the dickens.

That picture was likely taken somewhere along I-80 in western IA, or I-35 up north. We have a lot of windmills creating energy here. Corn doesn't stop wind.
Good luck to you, fellow Iowan ... I've been following your journey, curious what you would decide on and happy to see you've made your decision. Des Moines, and especially West Des Moines has sure come a long way over the years. They've done a great job with the city. And, when that cold weather hits, you can always head to warmer pastures for a break. Enjoy your home remodeling and woodworking projects!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM

26,914 posts, read 38,168,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Good luck to you, fellow Iowan ... I've been following your journey, curious what you would decide on and happy to see you've made your decision. Des Moines, and especially West Des Moines has sure come a long way over the years. They've done a great job with the city. And, when that cold weather hits, you can always head to warmer pastures for a break. Enjoy your home remodeling and woodworking projects!
Thank you. We keeping talking about long winter breaks... and yes this are has really grown. 60th was a dirt road bordered by cornfields to the west when we moved out here, and we couldn't get a pizza delivered because we were on the "far side" of the interstate

Old 08-05-2013, 05:57 PM

26,914 posts, read 38,168,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
A very best decision. Maybe include in some of the upgrade plans some ideas to allow ageing in place less painful down the road.
We've talked about that. With our knees and hips, and my breathing problem we will have to do something about getting to the second story if we stay.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,060,479 times
Quote:
We've talked about that. With our knees and hips, and my breathing problem we will have to do something about getting to the second story if we stay.
Stair lifts might be a possibility. I live on the second floor of a condo building and noticed that one of the buildings in my complex has a stair lift going to the second floor for those with mobility issues.

http://101mobility.com/downloads/Sta...umer-Guide.pdf

Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM

16,045 posts, read 18,272,194 times
Quote:
Iowa. City, not that far from rural, which is pretty much true for any city here. None of them are that big. We're in West Des Moines. Except for winter it can be heaven on Earth.

Minutes from health care, two hospitals, dentists, eye docs, a huge mall, every store you could possibly want, enough restaurants to keep anyone happy, and a city government that's very efficient.

Then it snows and blows and gets cold as the dickens.

That picture was likely taken somewhere along I-80 in western IA, or I-35 up north. We have a lot of windmills creating energy here. Corn doesn't stop wind.
One year I drove my daughter from our home in Missouri to Des Moines to look at college. What an awesome landscape. I was speeding at one point (didn't know it, as driving the highway there is like driving on butter) and was stopped by a cop with all the kids in the car. The youngest one in his car seat started crying when he saw the cop pull us over. After a few minutes of writing the cop reached into the car with what I thought was a speeding ticket. I thought it was going to be a whopping fine as we were out of state. He reached across me and handed the little boy a pack of baseball cards (Cubs?). And said to slow down.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,350,561 times
Quote:
Can you convert existing space downstairs to a master bedroom suite? Leave the upstairs to guests.

Thankfully, when house-hunting here in the Ozarks we refused to look at anything on more than one level for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Of course, that meant we had to pass on this delightful, hillbilly/redneck mansion:

Sometimes life just ain't fair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement