Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

We all have daydreamed about things we wanted to do when we finally retired. I can't say that we've done everything, but we did take an overseas trip which we enjoyed immensely. We also did some travel around the country, by car and plane.

We had a hard time cutting loose from our old house, but we finally did it. I said a long goodbye to my old home town, visiting places I loved and all the homes I had ever lived in there.

But some things took longer. I was just thinking today about how much I wanted a small herb garden, but could not have where we lived before. This year I put herbs in three large flowerpots and placed them on the back porch which gets a lot of sun. Tonight before I sat down at the computer, I made tea with some spearmint from one of those pots. This is something I always wanted to do. And it is so nice to be able to do that.

I also wanted to grow daylilies, and I have this year. I also wanted some roses, and I have two and plans for a couple more. I wanted a small sunny yard, and I have this. So, much of what I visualized for myself before I retired, did happen for me.

Most of all, I also wanted to live closer to family, and moving got us much closer and it has been good.

So---what things did you dream about before retiring, and have you been able to have those things? Are there things you have not gotten that you thought you would have? And have you changed your mind about some things?

Maybe we should revisit our pre-retirement dreams; maybe it is easy to forget what we planned for all those pre-retirement years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I don't know if we really had a bucket list for retirement: we did know we wanted to leave Dallas and we did. I knew I wanted a garden, and I got it, I had small ones many times, but now, though not huge I do grow more than just squash, tomatoes and cukes. I knew I wanted to play a lot of bridge and I do. Hubby is really busy doing volunteer work but I don't think he every really planned on what he wanted to do. We do travel, more a few years ago. Now, finances and health has cut us back some, but we still do a cruise each year and one other week only trip. This year it is Toronto and the surrounding area.

More than anything we wanted to be near, at least some of the family. Now, we have our oldest daughter and her hubby, their youngest daughter and her hubby plus baby boy and the oldest daughter and her family will officially be AR residences in 2 days. What more could we ask for?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Work in my garden/yard.
Participate in my kids' activities, visiting with them.
Go swimming several times a week, out doors, all year round.
Keep up with technology as a hobby and possibly as a part time job.
Exercise regularly.
Enjoy the sunshine.

Probably not travel too much - not that interested as the internet is sufficient for me. With Google street view with which I can see the back streets of any city or rural area in just about in country in the world, I can see a lot more than I could on a big tour bus that you spend five hours driving in to stop somewhere at take pictures for five minutes. Living in Southern California I can eat any kind of ethnic food and visit with people from just about any country.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
Good topic!

I wanted to travel, but even though my husband and I can afford it, it hasn't been possible because he has health issues. He has an enlarged prostate and is afraid of being too far from a bathroom. Also, he refuses to fly because he's 6'4" and airline seats are uncomfortable for him. At age 73, he's happy to be a homebody. I'm still "only" 64 and I feel I have a few adventures left in me.

Friends have suggested that we get a credit card with airline bonus miles so we can upgrade to business or first class, but DH doesn't want to change accounts. He also knows that there are things he could do to manage his urinary urgency, but he says he already takes too many pills and doesn't want to take any more. *sigh*

If had a good friend to travel with, I'd be out of here in a New York minute. However I must admit that if you have to be stuck somewhere, San Francisco isn't a bad place to be as there's lots to do right here in the Bay Area.

The other thing I wanted to do was to finish my Bachelor's degree. I'm hesitating on that because (a) I feel I would be taking a classroom spot that a younger person just starting out needs more than I do; and (b) now that I'm retired, going to school would seem like a job. I'm enjoying my freedom so much! And finally, (c) the idea of having a university degree doesn't seem as important to me as it once did since it won't lead to a career.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 PM

150 posts, read 297,951 times
I suggest you look into doing some solo travel, possibly with Road Scholar. I've gone on a couple of their trips by myself and have enjoyed them. There are other solo travel groups, some exclusively for women. My husband isn't a traveler either. One thing I regret is not having traveled when I was working. I can't understand why I didn't.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good topic!

I wanted to travel, but even though my husband and I can afford it, it hasn't been possible because he has health issues. He has an enlarged prostate and is afraid of being too far from a bathroom. Also, he refuses to fly because he's 6'4" and airline seats are uncomfortable for him. At age 73, he's happy to be a homebody. I'm still "only" 64 and I feel I have a few adventures left in me.

Friends have suggested that we get a credit card with airline bonus miles so we can upgrade to business or first class, but DH doesn't want to change accounts. He also knows that there are things he could do to manage his urinary urgency, but he says he already takes too many pills and doesn't want to take any more. *sigh*

If had a good friend to travel with, I'd be out of here in a New York minute. However I must admit that if you have to be stuck somewhere, San Francisco isn't a bad place to be as there's lots to do right here in the Bay Area.

The other thing I wanted to do was to finish my Bachelor's degree. I'm hesitating on that because (a) I feel I would be taking a classroom spot that a younger person just starting out needs more than I do; and (b) now that I'm retired, going to school would seem like a job. I'm enjoying my freedom so much! And finally, (c) the idea of having a university degree doesn't seem as important to me as it once did since it won't lead to a career.
Since you want to travel without your DH, investigate Elderhostel Road Scholar: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy

You can investigate what offerings your local community college has. You might enjoy taking a class there.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 PM

126 posts, read 161,745 times
I skydive and scuba, so I'll continue that into retirement. I scuba dived the Baltimore and Atlanta, GA., aquariums, so my goal now is to dive every aquarium that allows it in the US, then start going overseas. Next: Denver in 2 weeks and Epcot Center in November!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:24 AM

454 posts, read 793,621 times
I had a list of "stuff" a mile long when i retired 8 years ago, and have done them all... among them :

Traveling any time of year i want, for as long as i want... instead of having to wait for that one-week vacation in summer while employed.

Planting an extensive garden instead of the one little strawberry pot i had while working.

Throwing away the alarm clock!

Being able to schedule doctor/dentist/veterinarian appointments any time or day of the week... instead of squeezing them in after work, or taking time off work

Going to the beach/museum/art gallery/any day-trip or any short outing mid-week when it's less crowded... instead of always having to go on Saturday/Sunday like when i was employed.

Experimenting with recipes/new dishes and enjoying eating leisurely dinners... instead of coming home from work too dead-tired to cook, and just gobble a PBJ sandwich

I'm very grateful and pleased with my retirement years

Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Friends have suggested that we get a credit card with airline bonus miles so we can upgrade to business or first class, but DH doesn't want to change accounts....
With all due respect, it sounds like your husband is just looking for excuses for not traveling. I've had medical issues too to such an extent that it was imperative that I always had to know where the closest bathroom was. I am also 6'4" (and 250) so I can relate to the issues with airline travel. Still, I've managed to take 20-hour flights in coach from NY to Hong Kong and Thailand and survived to tell about it. But if your husband doesn't want to fly or risk having to find a bathroom, you have other choices since you live on the coast. For example, you can take a cruise to Hawaii or all the way to Tahiti, Australia and NZ among other places. His "hotel room" and bathroom travel with him and he never has to get on a plane (assuming you can get him to drive to LA or SD). There are even round-trip cruises to Hawaii and other places out of SF itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
... My husband isn't a traveler either. One thing I regret is not having traveled when I was working. I can't understand why I didn't.
Based on the posts above, I guess that I am lucky that my wife and I both love to travel, so it's never an issue of one trying to talk the other into a trip. We both travelled while we were employed as well, but we got tired of trying to coordinate our work schedules as well as trying to fit all we wanted to do within two-week vacation slots. In fact, the main reason that we retired in our early 50s was so that we could travel when we want and for however long we want. One of our first trips after we retired was a six-week trip to various countries in South America. We've also taken several trips to the Mediterranean over the past couple of years as well as a couple of cross-country trips here in the U.S. Next year our travel plans include Australia and NZ.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:27 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
... as well as a couple of cross-country trips here in the U.S.
Driving cross-country, taking my time and seeing as much as I can of the country, is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, and it remains on my bucket list. We're making progress on the rest of our joint bucket list, but this one has eluded me.

Well, I guess if I want to do it badly enough, I'll find a way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement