U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM

51 posts, read 91,133 times

Advertisements

OK, I have to admit I do not know all the rules about S/S, so I pose this to the online 'experts' (that's YOU guys).
Our situation, Wife, 58 and has worked 30 quarters, gets SSDI right now, Me, 56, will draw my S/S at 62. What will happen?
- Will she get SSDI even after I file?
- Will she be able to file on her own?
- Will we both get S/S?
- Will the higher S/S wage be the only thing we get?

I would just like to have an idea what's ahead.
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 PM

21,864 posts, read 14,364,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmitch79 View Post
OK, I have to admit I do not know all the rules about S/S, so I pose this to the online 'experts' (that's YOU guys).
Our situation, Wife, 58 and has worked 30 quarters, gets SSDI right now, Me, 56, will draw my S/S at 62. What will happen?
- Will we both get S/S?

Thanks for any help.
Actually unless there is a SS pro here, we aren't the experts. Here is link to a Q and A from SS:

Frequently Asked Questions

I'd try there first.

What I do know is that two people who have earned SS credits can both draw benefits at the same time. I believe, but don't know directly, that SSDI turns into SS at retirement age. Your wife has Medicare benefits, no?

You can also visit the local SS office with your documents showing your wife's benefits (her statement from late 2012 or a tax doc) and any other pertinent docs and probably get some good info. You can also call SS. I've done this, and I want to say you should be prepared to wait for awhile before being allowed to speak with a person. However, there are people to answer questions, so it is worthwhile to do this.

You are right to be planning ahead for a smooth transition into retirement. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmitch79 View Post
- Will we both get S/S?

Thanks for any help.

I believe the answer is this. When your wife reaches age 62 she drops SSDI and draws her SS check. She continues to draw that for ever. She might be able to get spousal benefits until you collect. This I am not sure. You can file and collect anytime 62 and up. You could also file and postpone. It all depends on your situation financially. You really should ask at the SSA to get a more definite answer. If you haven't already log on line to the SSA website and you can use their tools to see what you will get and your best options. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 PM

21,864 posts, read 14,364,134 times
And you should have been receiving a yearly notice that tells you what you are qualified to draw in benefits. I received one of these every year for several years before retirement.

You do want to enroll before you retire. I can't remember how much before, but more than a week or two! You visit a SS office to do that.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
OP, for quick and direct answers to your questions just pick up the phone and call your local SS office. Getting it straight from the horses mouth, as they say, will get you the correct answers to your situation.
Here is the main SS site that you can peruse and maybe that will help you in the meantime.

The United States Social Security Administration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement