Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So just out of curiosity, how many places do you intend to explore? Quite frankly, I think you can easily go on info-overload and worry things half to death while getting nowhere.

My wife and I considered four or five states, eliminated a couple through research, ranked them using our criteria and druthers and finally selected one before we ever left our former home to explore. All that was left was to pick a spot and that, too, was pretty much decided before we flew in to explore. Ultimate our desk-top explorations proved valuable and we landed right where we wanted to be which is where we are now.

Now admittedly, we had the advantage of having lived in other states and part of the country in the past (Thank you, Uncle Sam) but still, at some point you have to reasonably narrow the field. Does your adult daughter still get a vote?
This makes me think of the"old days" when we had no Internet (or even computers). There were no books in the library on different places (unless they were travel books for other countries). You could not access newspapers from other locations unless you sent away and "subscribed." You only had word of mouth about other possible locations to live and 9 times out of 10 you moved only for a job (and then rarely). If someone you knew moved away you only had their letters or limited phone call to describe their new place. That was how the migrations West happened.

I'll never forget my parents' friends from here, who in their 40s had one kid and a magical attraction to Washington State (probably from his service days). They might as well had said they were moving to the moon. Nobody here could grasp it. They were not only moving away, they were moving out of our lives. Disappearing for good. And what did they base their decision on? They were modestly middle class and I'm sure did not have the means for numerous trips out there and all over that large state to find their mecca. And they apparently knew no one there. They had no jobs lined up, but in those days who had to worry about a job. They were almost always to be found no matter where you landed (talking about post WWII here).

What I'm saying is that people used to have to use their gut feelings when making a huge change. They didn't have the endless choices and means to check out possibilities. And often they were stuck for better or worse with their choice.

The sad thing is that maybe a year or so after getting out there, the man died while raking leaves in his yard and his wife came home to family. As a kid I always wondered how that must have felt for her dream to collapse like that. But she picked up the pieces and lived to a very old age.

Are we given too many choices? Do we have too much to go on, rather than too little? Interesting how things have changed in the course of one generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
kind of a shift in focus of this topic:

Looks like retiring in East TN may be in my future. My Mom and sister both live in Knoxville and this week brought severe health problems for both. Sister lasted long enough to put Mom in an assisted living facility then collapsed with kidney failure herself. And it was hard not to be there to help.

Sis is to get out of the hospital this coming week and I will visit then to help as I can. Thank the Lord she recovered. I hope permanently.

TN beats any place I would consider on paper and I went to school there so overall I am positive about it. I just don't care for pastoral settings. I don't like rivers and wide valleys where you can spy the mountains. It just isn't home.

I was born and bred in Western NC and was thinking I would return home to Black Mountain to live in a cove or small valley surrounded by high beautiful mountains. Just look up and there they are

But things are the way they are and we'll see the path I am to follow.

They are really all fine, just different, and depends upon what you like and what you are willing/able to pay.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM

11,122 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Plenty of coves and small valleys in eastern TN, oldnorthstate. You can have the your mountains and be a lot closer to your family too.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
kind of a shift in focus of this topic:

Looks like retiring in East TN may be in my future. My Mom and sister both live in Knoxville and this week brought severe health problems for both. Sister lasted long enough to put Mom in an assisted living facility then collapsed with kidney failure herself. And it was hard not to be there to help.

Sis is to get out of the hospital this coming week and I will visit then to help as I can. Thank the Lord she recovered. I hope permanently.

TN beats any place I would consider on paper and I went to school there so overall I am positive about it. I just don't care for pastoral settings. I don't like rivers and wide valleys where you can spy the mountains. It just isn't home.

I was born and bred in Western NC and was thinking I would return home to Black Mountain to live in a cove or small valley surrounded by high beautiful mountains. Just look up and there they are

But things are the way they are and we'll see the path I am to follow.

They are really all fine, just different, and depends upon what you like and what you are willing/able to pay.
theoldnorthstate let me first say that God be with your sister and mom. I do hope that all continues to be well. I know my mom missed my last military promotion which she would have loved, so I know your feeling well.

Being there for them both will be important and that is why my plan is for 6 years +/- because of my dad who is 80 now I will need to stay around for a while yet. MIL lives with us and her health is good now but she is also 80 so we will play that by ear before we move out of here. As I have said it is not even sure we will move out of state. I just know we will give up the big house and move to somewhere more practical for us.

Good luck and best wishes.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There is a poster on here who moved from CA to Prospect, KY, and loves it (her name is eluding me, I haven't had my morning coffee yet). I seem to remember her raving about the beauty of the area and golfing and other rec. I think Kentucky may be one of the least known states in the nation, in general, and for retirement specifically.

www.google.com/search?gs_rn=25&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=10&gs_id=12&xhr=t&q=prospect+ky&bav=on.2,or. r_qf.&bvm=bv.51156542,d.dmg&biw=1027&bih=620&um=1& ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=K5cYUtfM Ktej4AP5i4DACg
I remember that thread. They really liked it there. I seem to recall that it was an upscale area.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Plenty of coves and small valleys in eastern TN, oldnorthstate. You can have the your mountains and be a lot closer to your family too.
You are right Shadow. My mom is in LakeWood in Loudon and my ancestors were pioneers at Cades Cove. The grist mill and buried there. So it could become home

Old 08-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
theoldnorthstate let me first say that God be with your sister and mom. I do hope that all continues to be well. I know my mom missed my last military promotion which she would have loved, so I know your feeling well.

Being there for them both will be important and that is why my plan is for 6 years +/- because of my dad who is 80 now I will need to stay around for a while yet. MIL lives with us and her health is good now but she is also 80 so we will play that by ear before we move out of here. As I have said it is not even sure we will move out of state. I just know we will give up the big house and move to somewhere more practical for us.

Good luck and best wishes.
Thank you Golfduo. Sister recovering. Heads up to all, it was the mix of medicines she was taking that caused acute kidney failure. So keep that in mind as we age and get more pills.

Thinking by spring I will be renting and visiting and will check out ET and see how it feels. Also give things a chance to settle down healthwise.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:22 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This makes me think of the"old days" when we had no Internet (or even computers). There were no books in the library on different places (unless they were travel books for other countries). You could not access newspapers from other locations unless you sent away and "subscribed." You only had word of mouth about other possible locations to live and 9 times out of 10 you moved only for a job (and then rarely). If someone you knew moved away you only had their letters or limited phone call to describe their new place. That was how the migrations West happened.

I'll never forget my parents' friends from here, who in their 40s had one kid and a magical attraction to Washington State (probably from his service days). They might as well had said they were moving to the moon. Nobody here could grasp it. They were not only moving away, they were moving out of our lives. Disappearing for good. And what did they base their decision on? They were modestly middle class and I'm sure did not have the means for numerous trips out there and all over that large state to find their mecca. And they apparently knew no one there. They had no jobs lined up, but in those days who had to worry about a job. They were almost always to be found no matter where you landed (talking about post WWII here).

What I'm saying is that people used to have to use their gut feelings when making a huge change. They didn't have the endless choices and means to check out possibilities. And often they were stuck for better or worse with their choice.

The sad thing is that maybe a year or so after getting out there, the man died while raking leaves in his yard and his wife came home to family. As a kid I always wondered how that must have felt for her dream to collapse like that. But she picked up the pieces and lived to a very old age.

Are we given too many choices? Do we have too much to go on, rather than too little? Interesting how things have changed in the course of one generation.
Your timeline is mostly correct about moving around and not dying in place. However ,think about the fact that people have been retiring to Florida long before we were born....Then there is AZ. same thing, sort of.No some people are just born to be wanders , once those folks were called HOBO's, they rode the rails, whever warmer weather would take them, and seasonal pickin jobs. Most of this kinda movin was as a result of the Great Depression and the dust bowl.If we go further back there was the great immigration years 1860-1920 from . Europe So many thousands went thru Ellis Island every year. My Grand parents we amount the masses 1909.from Germany.

There was a time not so long ago when the household movers main business was Military, and of coarse Corporate transfers. .The masses stayed home, or like most of us we rented a U haul.There are still travelers, I was one since I got my first set of the World Book Ec.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 AM

138 posts, read 232,441 times
Golfingduo- their is a newer 55+ development in Ooltewah which is about 5 miles from Chattanooga called Greenbriar Cove. Housing » Seegreenbriarcove

Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM

11,122 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Golfingduo, Come and check out Tellico Village when you are on your scouting trip. We have 3 18-hole courses and a big lake with lots of marina space. We are not gated or age restricted, but 80% of the people here are 55+ I'd say. It's more laid back and a lot more of a woodsy feel than a Del Webb type place, but we have all the amenities including a state of the art fitness center, 2 pools, numerous tennis and pickleball courts, etc. The POA is actively expanding the amenities still after 15+ years of development. Soon they will be building a new amphitheater and performing arts space, and a fitness trail. We love it here and would be happy to show you all the amenities if you PM us. Check out the POA website (just google Tellico Village). If it looks like something you're interested in, Key Rental (google 'em) offers small homes, duplexes, townhomes for rent by the weekend, the week or longer. We visited and fell in love with the place. Everyday I hear another TV'er say how happy they are to be here and what a good decision they made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement