Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
No I am in North Worcester County. Just south of the NH border. I know Pittsfield (East NY as I like to tell the folks out there). So you have the climate pegged right here.

All of what you have said will be good welcome news. Before I move there I promise everyone I plan on living there for a time. The inquiry here is as some people have told me too soon. So many things can change between now and 6 years from now. It is very true. It is also the best time to look around if moving out away from family and friends and social support is in mind. No one should even consider moving without a plan. I do not recommend that anyone just pick up a dart and toss it on the map. C-D is a perfect place to begin that search though. Look at all the replies from other threads on everything from investing advice to home improvements. What better way to get friends in new places too. Heck I got a personalized tour of Sun City Carolina Lakes from some one I met here on C-D.

All of that is why I signed in to C-D to interact with all of you. No better way I know.

So back to you Ted Bear. Those are great points and will be added to my general knowledge. It will become very valuable even 6 years from now. No matter how much things change they also stay the same.
You need to know that if you think you will be flying home for visits from East Tennessee there is no large airport, just regional ones. The big airports are in Memphis (West Tennessee) and Nashville (Middle Tennessee). Regional airports mean you pay more and don't get many direct flights. If you plan to drive home to Massachusetts, East Tennessee is the place to be.

Also, while there is no state income tax there is a State tax on interest and dividend income.

http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/taxgu...ndincguide.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
I'll echo Ted Bear and Mark-faf about East Tennessee. If I was going to move to another area of the country after retirement (which I don't intend to do actually), I think that East Tennessee would be #1 on my list. I've visited the Jonesborough area in SE Tennessee and loved it but Johnson City might suit me better.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:42 PM

117 posts, read 201,945 times
Default What about the 'baggers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I lived in Huntsville, AL just south of TN for two years. Everything is nice except weather: rain, gray, gloomy, humidity, tornadoes, clouds, snow, bugs.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Fairfield Glade! I've heard a few good things about that place, and am interested in reading more about it. Would love to read a detailed report if you feel like posting one. And if you have any photos, all the better!
A detailed report would be problematic. We were there 7 years ago (7 years!) and I'm sure things have changed since then. I know Crossville has a new library, and looking with Google shows me more commercial than there was then. Im guessing it's still 30 minutes to buy hard liquor.

I can tell you that the area really is beautiful. I mean, really beautiful.

People are friendly and willing to give you their opinion of living there (or they were). There was one woman who wasn't overly happy there, but after talking to her for a while it came out that they had searched a long tine to find the lot they wanted, built, an no one had moved in on the street yet. I think she was a little lonely because she expected neighbors.

Weather is moderated by being on the plateau. I think the elevation at Fairfield is about 2000 feet.

I'll see if I can find any pictures.

Here's a quick picture from Google Maps. Our lot is to the right of the house (built last year) surrounded by yellow. I'm guessing straw for bluegrass seed cover. Notice the golf course weaving it's way around the area. The lake is maintained by the golf course as they use it for irrigation. The water down in the right corner is part of the largest lake in the area.

If you Google map fairfield glade, tn you'll see the area.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 08-15-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You need to know that if you think you will be flying home for visits from East Tennessee there is no large airport, just regional ones. The big airports are in Memphis (West Tennessee) and Nashville (Middle Tennessee). Regional airports mean you pay more and don't get many direct flights. If you plan to drive home to Massachusetts, East Tennessee is the place to be.

Also, while there is no state income tax there is a State tax on interest and dividend income.

http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/taxgu...ndincguide.pdf

Yes the airport situation is a troubling thought. It isn't a deal breaker though. I have traveled quite a bit CONUS for work so I know the regional airports there as well. I have flown into Nashville and flew the wife to Memphis for her birthday while I was at a school in Little Rock AK.

As for tax on interest and dividend income that is not an issue as my income is all pension and qualified plans. Thanks LauraC. I will keep this in mind.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Two views we took pictures of and looking at our lot from the road. Very dense growth.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM

golfingduo,

We took a two week drive in 1999 that looped through the tri-cities area in NE TN and we both liked the area.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
golfingduo,

We took a two week drive in 1999 that looped through the tri-cities area in NE TN and we both liked the area.

I have been to both Nashville and Memphis. I went to Memphis three times and Nashville once. I know that Mrs Golf and I will travel any area we have in our list that reaches the point level we determine meets our needs and wants. I actually have started a spreadsheet where I can take all of the key points into consideration and rank.

Yes I know it sounds excessive but if you think about it, doing it this way makes perfect sense.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
East Tenn. is a great area to retire too. The native people are different also. Everyone has a distinct accent only found in the foothills and the Mountians.I live just over the line in NC . For 18 years, so there is little I don't know about the area , and what I find foggy I will make up.....

The center of all activity is Knoxville, a modern, upscale city. It's the gateway to the Mountians of East Tennessee , often remembered for the moonshine capital that it was. Johnson City has always had an interest the many times I visited on the way to and from home. That little city would be a good choice for retirement. The most preferred areas in NE Tenn. are along the rivers and man made lakes along with the advantages of living higher up the slopes, cooler summers. There is little difference between the Mountians on both sides of the border other than NC. Has a lot more areas, including the famous Blue Ridge. Smokey Park covers a lot of the border area and is the most visited National park in America. There is also Dollywood, And other highly tourist visited areas which I would avoid whenever posable.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I have flown in and out of Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC while doing NE TN property hunts. JC airport is a possibility too and serviced by Delta (where I have oodles of miles from living in Spain and flying back and forth to Left coast USA).

I used Nashville airport the first time I went to NE TN and stayed at guest homes in Fairfield Glade. My hosts there and Oakridge, Greeneville, and 3 mtn areas in the region were superb, and full of info. Many had retired there, or were able to come to the area during last decade of employment. Most had great PT jobs as retirees that were really fun and educational.

I don't care for the road traffic in and out of BNA, so I will take a puddle jumper into JC or use AVL or CLT or GSP

Knoxville is a mighty fine city for center of activity also. Property values and recreation activities make this an attractive and fun region for active retirees. It will stay tops for my region to build a senior cottage community if I have to start from scratch with bare land. I have stayed with a few couples in their 90's who have enjoyed great medical care in the tri-city area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement