Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Normally, I wouldn't post a story about a guy who has been stealing about $350,000 from Uncle Sam by cashing Social Security and federal annuity checks meant for his long-dead mother but something in the story caught my eye that I didn't think of and that is this part and direct deposits:

"$100 million the OPM loses every year in payments to deceased annuitants is not small change. Much of that, it must be stated, is recovered quickly. “These are often the result of a retiree passing away before the retirement payment is made for that month or because the deceased’s family takes a month or two to report the death,” OPM Inspector General Patrick E. McFarland told a House committee in May. “These overpayments are usually recovered in full.”

Retirement payment cheat gets time in prison - Washington Post

I'm assuming if survivor benefits are involved, the surviving spouse knows enough to report the death right away but not everyone has a surviving spouse.

The other semi-related thing I'd like to mention is also for single people. If you have bills or other items paid by direct debit from your checking account, does someone know enough to stop it from happening right away when you die so that no one is in a position of having to recover money direct debited from your checking account? I'm thinking of things like cell phones and cable where you are charged whether you use them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Excellent reminder. I'm making a list from many posts on this forum - when the time comes I'll check my list and then - nope - can't go yet - I still have a few things to do. We really need a symbol with a halo.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Normally, I wouldn't post a story about a guy who has been stealing about $350,000 from Uncle Sam by cashing Social Security and federal annuity checks meant for his long-dead mother but something in the story caught my eye that I didn't think of and that is this part and direct deposits:

"$100 million the OPM loses every year in payments to deceased annuitants is not small change. Much of that, it must be stated, is recovered quickly. “These are often the result of a retiree passing away before the retirement payment is made for that month or because the deceased’s family takes a month or two to report the death,” OPM Inspector General Patrick E. McFarland told a House committee in May. “These overpayments are usually recovered in full.”

Retirement payment cheat gets time in prison - Washington Post

I'm assuming if survivor benefits are involved, the surviving spouse knows enough to report the death right away but not everyone has a surviving spouse.

The other semi-related thing I'd like to mention is also for single people. If you have bills or other items paid by direct debit from your checking account, does someone know enough to stop it from happening right away when you die so that no one is in a position of having to recover money direct debited from your checking account? I'm thinking of things like cell phones and cable where you are charged whether you use them or not.

I saw that article about the gentlman continuing to collect and spend his mother's pension and SS checks. His only response after getting sentanced was "I am sorry". The amounts of each were not much and may have been enough for a good car payment each month. It is even worse as the man in question worked for the city. He now will lose that as well.

On to your second topic here I am pretty sure most people don't even think about that. It will be on my radar now to document any automatic payments like cable or insurance premiums. Everyone should have a plan in place for that so that loved ones can take action as soon as possible. I bet that cable companies and internet providers get a lot of revenue just like that of services not used yet paid for.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
When my mom died, the funeral home took care of all the reporting to SS and Medicare. I think it was a requirement of the state placed on funeral homes.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
When my mom died, the funeral home took care of all the reporting to SS and Medicare. I think it was a requirement of the state placed on funeral homes.
I think it should be required nationwide. I would hope that most would be as honest and report changes.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Thanks, Laura.

Another thing to think about is credit cards and open charge accounts that your spouse or other family members may not realize you have and so would not close them. The account(s) remain active if so, and anyone "finding" the charge cards can continue to use them.

In my "This is the End - Please Read" notebook, I've listed one credit card and two charge accounts I have open. I close charge accounts like Home Depot or Sears once the balance is paid off. They're quick to close with a phone call and quick to open new ones if needed. Others, like Ace Hardware, are on my short "list" for relatives to close, along with Visa.

Once a year or so our local paper lists depositers who have unclaimed money in accounts (does not specify amounts). These are probably checking accts that had a few hundred in them and never got used or closed by the deceased, or that relatives never knew existed. I wonder who gets the money not claimed.

In the "End" notebook, I've listed financial account numbers with beneficiaries.

All this writing out instructions stuff, will, trust, POA, and all that has taken a lot of my energy, can't wait till it's all done.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Once a year or so our local paper lists depositers who have unclaimed money in accounts (does not specify amounts). These are probably checking accts that had a few hundred in them and never got used or closed by the deceased, or that relatives never knew existed. I wonder who gets the money not claimed.
This is from NAUPA : What is Unclaimed Property

"Claims can be made into perpetuity in most cases - even by heirs."

Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
There is a Social Security death "tape" that get made available monthly. It contains the Social Security number of who died during the last time period. Most Credit Companies go thru that file, and match it against there card holder database. And lock down the cards. Banking (Checking/saving/cd's) etc.

Deposits in banks, etc, and send to the state (Normally treasure office) to be held in 'trust' till they are claimed.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I think it should be required nationwide. I would hope that most would be as honest and report changes.
Its automatic in most states when they make out the computer request to authorities for death certificates.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
After my neighbor was charged over $3000 for one month's water bill, a payment on automatic debit from his checking account . . . I cancelled all my auto-pays. My neighbor didn't even realize what was going on til a matter of days past the debit.

My neighbor had no idea that there was a leak, underground, b/f the water even reached his home. Several more checks bounced in the meantime, racking up fees . . . and the city would not refund his money in a timely manner . . .

Those automatic payments can turn into a real problem if something goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement