U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM

22,632 posts, read 12,616,363 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about a large national membership group like AARP.

There are two 55+ men's groups that I'm a member of:

Mornings Out - an informal group that has a more structured format and includes field trips to local museums, historic sites, or even just restaurants for lunch. It alternates with outside activities and meetings featuring a guest speaker or presentation. It meets every Tuesday at the William Way Community Center here in Philly.

Thursday Afternoon Rap - meets every Thursday from 1 PM until 2 PM. It is very informal, the guys sit in comfortable chairs in a circle and the moderator entertains any topic or issue that comes off the floor. Sometimes we retreat afterwards to a restaurant for lunch or drinks.

These groups mean a lot to me. I met friends here. However once in while the topic is depressing when it turns to death of a spouse/partner, health issues, or financial worries.

Anyone else out there have a similar group they attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,107,789 times
A group of retirees, all of whom taught (or at least worked) at the same high school get together once every two months at the same restaurant for lunch. Very enjoyable to keep in touch that way and to swap old war stories. Attendance varies from roughly 8 to 14.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 AM

10,937 posts, read 8,337,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm a member of several groups that get together regularly for lunch and other activities. We visit museums, attend concerts, go to movies, volunteer, meet at each other's houses for games and social activities, etc. All of these groups consist of folks with whom I worked in my various careers.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM

23,605 posts, read 32,024,360 times
Nope! Not a joiner, nor s my wife. Due to our profession we were required to socialize all the time. We're burnt-out!

Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM

2,045 posts, read 3,672,339 times
Yes~ I live in 2 55+ communities. anything I attend in either place would by your definition be a small group of seniors gathering.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,259,127 times
No; not any senior only group.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM

1,866 posts, read 1,752,143 times
I hope to find some groups to join, but so far the groups I have sat in with spent way too much time:
  • Complaining about anything and everything, often without knowing what they were talking about to begin with (politics, technology, younger people, religion, weather),
  • About their (poor) health, their kids/grand kids - a little goes a long way IMO, and/or
  • Reminiscing about the past. A little of that is welcome, but I am more interested in what's to come, not what's already done. Boring...
YMMV

Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM

73,517 posts, read 85,734,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm not talking about a large national membership group like AARP.

There are two 55+ men's groups that I'm a member of:

Mornings Out - an informal group that has a more structured format and includes field trips to local museums, historic sites, or even just restaurants for lunch. It alternates with outside activities and meetings featuring a guest speaker or presentation. It meets every Tuesday at the William Way Community Center here in Philly.

Thursday Afternoon Rap - meets every Thursday from 1 PM until 2 PM. It is very informal, the guys sit in comfortable chairs in a circle and the moderator entertains any topic or issue that comes off the floor. Sometimes we retreat afterwards to a restaurant for lunch or drinks.

These groups mean a lot to me. I met friends here. However once in while the topic is depressing when it turns to death of a spouse/partner, health issues, or financial worries.

Yes, and no: hubby belongs to a men's social group connected with our church. I call it the old Christian farts, he doesn't go that far. They just get together at a nearby coffee place and chew the fat for about an hour every Wed. Once a month they go out for lunch.

We also are Silver sneaker members. This gives us access to the workout facilities at our local rec centers. 3 mornings a week we water walk. Well the gals, mostly water talk. We do keep our legs moving constantly though. (our mouths as well) You have to be a senior to belong. I feel really sorry for the few guys that participate. They are outnumbered about 10 to 1. We mostly just gab about what's on sale, where, what we did over the weekend, things like that: usual girl talk.

I also belong to a couple of bridge groups. They are not seniors only, but for the most part no one under about 60 is involved.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM

40,112 posts, read 49,126,022 times
No no no, I don't want to be around a bunch of old fogy's complaining about health problems, cost of living, their grand-kids, politics they know nothing about, or how good it was where they came from.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,323,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No; not any senior only group.
I hate to admit it, but I get a little bummed by being around just seniors. It's not vanity, because I fully accept the reality of being one. It's just kind of a downer to me. Not judging any particular person. For me it would be like being in a group of just 20-somethings or 40-somethings. It's oversaturation somehow. I prefer the mix. That said, I get together with several folks my age on occasion for coffee and casual conversation. Fortunately we don't ever talk about grandchildren or ills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or