Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
As I am going to be celebrating my 45th anniversary Next week [I married at 16] I find this thread very sad.
I also take exception to the idea the "most everyone" has been divorced at least once.
I'm still with the woman I began dating at age 14. (I'm 37 now.) Unless one of us dies, I'm sure we'll still be together when we're retired. She's the one for me. I realize this is somewhat rare in today's world though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:55 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I find it interesting that everyone's ex is apparently either abusive, alcoholic, neurotic, "fugly," lazy, a spendthrift, or a combination of any and all of the above. It seems that everyone here represents the good half of the formerly married couple. I wonder how your exes would describe you?
Ha! I was starting to feel bad that I may have painted my Ex as a horrible person. He is, in fact, a good man and one day I may find it in my heart to send him copies of the family photos.

BTW, it's not how long a couple is married that is of importance... it's the quality of the marriage. Looking back on thirty years of marriage, I see that most of it was good, some of it was "good enough" and some of it "not good enough".

Old 08-30-2013, 03:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
My friend in TN says 'he needed killin' is a valid defense there.
It isnt. Looked into it while married.

In some cases divorce is the only viable solution for survival, and sanity.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
I never had sex with my ex husband.

Well, we must've done it twice, or maybe one of our kids was a couch nymph.

I have far, far more needs met as a single woman than I ever did as a married one.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that everyone's ex is apparently either abusive, alcoholic, neurotic, "fugly," lazy, a spendthrift, or a combination of any and all of the above. It seems that everyone here represents the good half of the formerly married couple. I wonder how your exes would describe you?
Oh, we are all perfect, of course

Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Quote:
Well if you read the thread, you'd see that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I...
I have far, far more needs met as a single woman than I ever did as a married one.
TMI!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thanks for the words I knew, someone had to say it, and I have no friends, so... Hope I have the ****S to do it. I wish she would come to me with a plan, but she is very afraid of being an old woman alone and won't talk about it. We have been to counseling for a year, she finally stopped going thought it was foolish.I kept going, now I have stopped.... Its tough when she is 8 years younger , not on SS till next year and has picked up the remains of our failed business of the last 40 years...and has made a sucess of it, which is a good thing, we have a lot of toys and those trips to the Keys this winter. Sometimes I wonder if she keeps me around for security, the non financial kind. and feeds me just enough toys to take my mind off the real problem. Its very frustrating living with a person that will NOT talk about our problems. If I could find her a Boyfriend, that would be great, might be enough to get her to talk....So for now, we are just friends, do everything social together like there is nothing wrong...its frustrating behond the pail.
Maybe have that talk sooner or later. Tell her you'll always be her friend and will always be there for her even if you remarry. Give her what she reasonably needs financially and go find a manageable apartment or whatever. Tell her it's for a year's separation to see how you both make out. I don't know how old you are, but you have posted a number of times about being miserable in your marriage. if you need support in this forum, we're here to do that. Courage is a great thing when we can muster it.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that everyone's ex is apparently either abusive, alcoholic, neurotic, "fugly," lazy, a spendthrift, or a combination of any and all of the above.
That's not the half of it.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
I said nothing of the sort, nor did a number of others. If you're going to judge at least try hard to be accurate. Thank you!

Old 08-30-2013, 05:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
TMI!
Indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement