Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is retired not working?
Not retired untill you are no longer working 32 51.61%
Can be retired and work parttime because you wish 27 43.55%
can be retired and work parttime because you must 1 1.61%
Retired means you are drawing a retirement even if you must work fulltime for a living. 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,094 times

Advertisements

Definition of RETIREMENT

a : an act of retiring : the state of being retired

b : withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life

c : the age at which one normally retires <reaches retirement in May>

The above are the current definitions of retirement, from Webster's. But that doesn't mean the definitions won't change, sooner or later, because society/common usage is what ultimately affects and effects the definitions of words.

To me, right now, retirement means "not working" and, if working, working only because one wants to work, not because one has to work to make ends meet. I don't see how it can mean anything else. If one is retired from a job but is working again -- PT or FT -- because he/she can't live on SS and/or the pension -- they are not retired. How can they be?

And to whomever said that the definition of 'retired' is not important -- I agree. I'm too humbly grateful, to be retired and to not have to work (who knows when and why that may change, for the worst -- I never take my good fortune for granted), to back somewhat up against a wall just because I don't agree with their definition of 'retired'. I just like discuss definitions of words and the currently correct usage of words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Definition of RETIREMENT

a : an act of retiring : the state of being retired

b : withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life

c : the age at which one normally retires <reaches retirement in May>

The above are the current definitions of retirement, from Webster's. But that doesn't mean the definitions won't change, sooner or later, because society/common usage is what ultimately affects and effects the definitions of words.

To me, right now, retirement means "not working" and, if working, working only because one wants to work, not because one has to work to make ends meet. I don't see how it can mean anything else. If one is retired from a job but is working again -- PT or FT -- because he/she can't live on SS and/or the pension -- they are not retired. How can they be?

And to whomever said that the definition of 'retired' is not important -- I agree. I'm too humbly grateful, to be retired and to not have to work (who knows when and why that may change, for the worst -- I never take my good fortune for granted), to back somewhat up against a wall just because I don't agree with their definition of 'retired'. I just like discuss definitions of words and the currently correct usage of words.
I have a certificate from the President saying I'm retired. I have a military ID card that says I'm retired, I have a retirement pension, and a retirees tricare.

regardless of what else I do, I am (medically) RETIRED from the Marine Corps.
If you would like to argue with the President and congress.... feel free.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
What about writers, artists, musicians . . . they may be 70 and drawing a pension or social security . . . may not go to an office every day . . . but may be as active pursuing their craft as they were at any other period of their lives.

I will continue to "do my thing" til I die (god willing that I have the mental and physical capability to continue).

So because a writer continues to write til he dies, does that mean, despite drawing social security, a pension plus royalties and payment for articles he currently writes . . . that he is not retired? Even though his schedule and day are his own to plan or not plan . . . he isn't "retired?"

Would you call him semi-retired, even though he will continue his lifestyle to the day he dies?

Curious why these labels are even important, really . . .

Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What about writers, artists, musicians . . . they may be 70 and drawing a pension or social security . . . may not go to an office every day . . . but may be as active pursuing their craft as they were at any other period of their lives.

I will continue to "do my thing" til I die (god willing that I have the mental and physical capability to continue).

So because a writer continues to write til he dies, does that mean, despite drawing social security, a pension plus royalties and payment for articles he currently writes . . . that he is not retired? Even though his schedule and day are his own to plan or not plan . . . he isn't "retired?"

Would you call him semi-retired, even though he will continue his lifestyle to the day he dies?

Curious why these labels are even important, really . . .

Labels are important (?) because labeling is one of the ways human beings define reality. I'm not saying it's the best way -- or even a good way -- but it is what we do.

Look, Ani, if you have a pension and/or SS and you write (and make money at it) simply because you enjoy it -- you're retired. If you have a pension and/or SS and you write (whether or not you enjoy it) because you need the income -- you're not retired.

I'm NOT telling who/what you are -- you can call yourself anything you want -- anyone can -- I certainly wouldn't want to hurt anyone, even unintentionally, with Webster's definition -- I'm just using you as an example under Webster's definition, because I know you write for profit -- certainly not THE only reason -- maybe not even a reason at all -- I just know, because you had said so, that you get paid -- and retired, semi-retired or not retired, I envy your ability to write so well that others think you're worth your weight in gold!

I don't care what anyone calls themselves -- unless it's denigrating to themselves or to others. If a 30-year-old, working FT, tells me that he's retired -- I'm certainly going to be surprised -- I may wonder what planet he lives on -- but WHY would anyone argue with him?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
You can retire from a number of fields and still be young. Work for the government from age 18 to 48 and you can retire and with the right job probably have a nice retirement income. still many people will choose to work in another profession. Retire after 20 years in the Service and you are retired. Just noticed an NFL player that retired and he is in his 20's. Think he has $40 mill in guarenteed pay from the NFL. Many of these early retired people will build a second retirement from another company. Some of those people may not even need the money but just want for something to do that is productive.

We have several employees that work for the insurance. One guy told me that he is able to work 2 days a week to maintain his insurance elegibility. Him and his wife have been debt free for maybe 10 or 12 years. They bought and paid off their home in less than 20 years. He also likes what he does. Still, he has never said he is retired though.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I've only been retired for a few months.
Will never ever work again.

But I still look at the help wanted ads whenever I read the newspaper.
And then I and call myself an idiot
I think you probably do it because it gives you a sense of euphoria; I do the very same thing when I read newspapers, too . It's the same sense of euphoria I get when I'm people-watching during the middle of the day. Who doesn't enjoy watching the hustle and bustle of the world hurriedly zip past as you quietly contemplate the origins of the universe and the true meaning of life. It's heavenly bliss .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement