Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,154,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Once again, back on track, while a little less COLA won't hurt us appreciably, and we're by no means wealthy, I know it could and would have a larger, negative impact on others and am sensitive to that. There's nothing "cute" about it.
I predict that the incessant downward pressure on wages and benefits throughout society will have a restraining effect on the rise in cost of living. It could turn out that the chained CPI will not hurt us as badly as we imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,366,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I predict that the incessant downward pressure on wages and benefits throughout society will have a restraining effect on the rise in cost of living. It could turn out that the chained CPI will not hurt us as badly as we imagine.
That would be nice. But to some extent it's the principle of the thing in terms of it being a first element to start chipping away at seniors' benefits.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
That would be nice. But to some extent it's the principle of the thing in terms of it being a first element to start chipping away at seniors' benefits.
I have little doubt chained CPI is going to be a reality for cost of living increases within the next few years. Also, I expect means testing to become part of the formula too, especially for those not yet receiving benefits. So I think that there will be some chipping away at senior benefits, just like the benefits of many others have been eroded over the past decade.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 AM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I have little doubt chained CPI is going to be a reality for cost of living increases within the next few years. Also, I expect means testing to become part of the formula too, especially for those not yet receiving benefits. So I think that there will be some chipping away at senior benefits, just like the benefits of many others have been eroded over the past decade.
Greetings, I have been wondering how you have been doing.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 AM

3,576 posts, read 4,497,795 times
Quote:
the problem as I see it is by what means are they going to test us?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:24 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,366,081 times
Quote:
Alas, I fear thou dost speaketh truth!

If I had more faith in the gubmint I'd think they would take into consideration the facts that we paid into SS most of our lives and the time we have left is shorter. Ergo, less recovery time. But I'm, under no such misapprehension.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Greetings, I have been wondering how you have been doing.
Hi, just needed a little break from the forums, some stuff seemed like the movie Groundhog Day. I like this forum however, so I'll post more again.

As far as the means test comment, I'm afraid good savers will pay a price.

I have two kids doing rather well financially, but one is a good saver and the other isn't. I suspect my "good saver" kid will eventually pay a heavy price for his being conscientious.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times
Quote:
Hi, just needed a little break from the forums, some stuff seemed like the movie Groundhog Day. I like this forum however, so I'll post more again.

As far as the means test comment, I'm afraid good savers will pay a price.

I have two kids doing rather well financially, but one is a good saver and the other isn't. I suspect my "good saver" kid will eventually pay a heavy price for his being conscientious.
Gotta laugh about the Ground Hog day. I remember back in the day and how some things have changed in here and some haven't. Your post of good savers paying a price reminds me of keep your hand out of my pocket.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,460,144 times
Social Security Benefits Up Just 1.5% in 2014

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Social Security benefits will rise only 1.5% next year, one of the smallest increase ever in the program's annual cost-of-living adjustment.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,434,647 times
To put a positive spin on it ... something's better than nothing!

And if the chained CPI goes through, we'll be looking back on 1.5% as the good ol' days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement