Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 PM

11,150 posts, read 15,920,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Does this mean you never use the toilet in somebody else's bathroom or wash your hands after?
Guess you don't trust Clorox?
That was my exact thought. I can't imagine being so paranoid about germs that I would be afraid to sit on a toilet seat on which someone else had previously sat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,649,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That was my exact thought. I can't imagine being so paranoid about germs that I would be afraid to sit on a toilet seat on which someone else had previously sat.

For me, it isn't about sitting on the seat. Reach up under the toilet where the seat is bolted on. If you find a sticky residue there, you can guess what it consists of.

It has a lot to do with the aim of the person(s) using the toilet.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:40 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,786,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
For me, it isn't about sitting on the seat. Reach up under the toilet where the seat is bolted on. If you find a sticky residue there, you can guess what it consists of.

It has a lot to do with the aim of the person(s) using the toilet.
Sounds a little OCD to me. Hope you've got strong kidneys if you are ever out for a day of shopping, etc.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,393,545 times
For me - it's the height that counts. I'm really short - and don't like to have my legs dangling 2 inches above the floor. It's a comfort thing.

FWIW - my late mother used to have this OCD thing about using toilets in places like stores and restaurants, I always thought she was nuts.

At least when it comes to women - the best way to avoid things like UTIs - no matter where your toilet is - is to wipe your front first - and then your back second with different paper. One of my docs taught me this after my first and only UTI - and I've never had one since (in 20+ years). Robyn

Old 09-27-2013, 07:03 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,994,603 times
What was the original question again?

Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,846,452 times
My biggest concern would be the heat bill and the property taxes.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,649,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Sounds a little OCD to me. Hope you've got strong kidneys if you are ever out for a day of shopping, etc.

I rarely check the nuts and bolts on public toilets. The discussion was about things you do when you move to a new place.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,330,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You could have avoided most of those expenses by purchasing a home warranty when you bought your house. The house we bought in Las Vegas was 21 years old when we bought it, with mostly original appliances and HVAC. The seller paid for a one-yr home warranty for us and during that first year we encountered problems with our combination double wall oven/convection oven/microwave. The main issue was that the lower oven would not heat properly. We contacted the warranty company, they sent out a technician and it was determined that the requisite replacement part was no longer available. The warranty company then gave us the option of replacing the appliance with a unit of their choosing or taking the equivalent in cash. We took the cash and received a check for $2,714.

I decided then that I was definitely renewing that policy as necessary through the years. In the past 3 years we've used them multiple times to repair our refrigerator, built-in wine cooler, HVAC units, put in a new toilet, garage door opener, and replace a leaky kitchen faucet. I would never buy another older house without also purchasing a home warranty.
Sounds easy enough but not with a VA loan when the values of the appliances can't, nor should they be, financed by that loan. The loan is for the structure and out-buildings only.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,132,441 times
Flood plains and flood insurance would be something I would recommend folks check out, as a home might not be IN a flood plane but it could be close to one, and topography can change if one of those "100 year" floods hit. Most people are not going to buy flood insurance unless they are required to (or feel there is a high certainty it could be needed). However, events such as fires can affect topography and water runoff.

For example, in the Boulder area, I understand there had been warnings from various government agencies that with all the fires and changes in water run off, there was a possibility of flooding in areas not previously prone to flooding. Sadly, the worst case scenario did occur and from what I have heard -- most folks did not have flood insurance.

I know this was mentioned by the OP, but I wanted to mention it again b/c areas not traditionally thought of as being flood prone could still become a problem if conditions are right, even when not in a flood plain.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 PM

129 posts, read 236,237 times
We replaced batteries in our smoke/carbon dioxide alarms, including the one in the vaulted ceiling when we moved in, two were chirping. A couple started chirping again after the battery change. These are wired in smoked detectors with batteries. I researched and found the detectors have a 10 year life span and need replaced after that. We went to Home Depot and bought them in bulk and replaced all of them throughout the house. Our house was built in 2000.
That chirping always seems to happen at the most inopportune time and when a house is empty it is really loud. Plus trying to figure out which one is chirping isn't easy, because they will chirp and then go silent. It took a while to figure out which ones were doing it. The vaulted ceiling one needed a 12 foot ladder to reach the detectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement