Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Interesting story on NBC yesterday. Although I can't see myself working at 93 (much less doing a job like riveting bolts on aircraft) I'm impressed by how energetic and alive this woman is. Amazing to think she's 93 and has been doing this job since 1942.

I want to be like her when I'm that old!

A Rosie the Riveter original, still on the job at 93 - The Daily Nightly

And, kudos to Boeing, who has allowed her to keep her job. Too many companies are pushing employees out the door after 55 these days--whether they wanted to retire or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 05:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Inspiring to say the least. A real credit to the "Greatest Generation" and to Boeing.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:58 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
This reminds me of my uncle who passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 93. He started working for Boeing a week after Pearl Harbor got bombed. Retired after 40 years, but then went back to work for them part time for a few more years.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 AM

129 posts, read 237,204 times
I saw that on the news last night and was so impressed. I figured it was going to be a puff piece with her visiting her old job. She is so active and alive, it was great to see. You can still see the young gal who posed for the poster in her.

I was impressed she's making $40/hour too!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Interesting story on NBC yesterday. Although I can't see myself working at 93 (much less doing a job like riveting bolts on aircraft) I'm impressed by how energetic and alive this woman is. Amazing to think she's 93 and has been doing this job since 1942.

I want to be like her when I'm that old!

A Rosie the Riveter original, still on the job at 93 - The Daily Nightly

And, kudos to Boeing, who has allowed her to keep her job. Too many companies are pushing employees out the door after 55 these days--whether they wanted to retire or not.
Boy, they'll pull any trick out of the bag to make people feel guilty about retiring.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-ji View Post
I saw that on the news last night and was so impressed. I figured it was going to be a puff piece with her visiting her old job. She is so active and alive, it was great to see. You can still see the young gal who posed for the poster in her.

I was impressed she's making $40/hour too!

I seriously doubt if she can still give $40 an hour of productivity anymore !

Old 09-27-2013, 03:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
She looked pretty productive to me, only I wonder how much her pension would be that she is missing out on for 70 years on job at the same company?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:41 AM

129 posts, read 237,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Boy, they'll pull any trick out of the bag to make people feel guilty about retiring.
I've speculated before that in recent years many articles and news bites are being used to influence people to work longer and not retire as early.

Now you have me rethinking how I feel about this piece on Rosie. Subliminal messages or just a sweet news story?

Last edited by jean-ji; 09-28-2013 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-ji View Post
I've speculated before that in recent years many articles and news bites are being used to influence people to work longer and not retire as early.

Now you have me rethinking how I feel about this piece on Rosie. Subliminal messages or just a sweet news story?
I absolutely agree it's subtle manipulation. If the government can keep us working until at least 70 and not take SS until then, the government is ahead, not us. (I do think there are a lot of benefits -- mental, emotional and even physical -- re working until 70. But I don't think anyone should HAVE to.)

Plus, no one wants to admit they are old. While there are people like Rosie, they are very rare. I think people like Rosie also have great genes.

The majority of us on the retirement board, who are 63 and over today, are going to be dead before we're 85, let alone 90. Those of us who reach 85 -- more than half will need assistance with normal daily activities, like just getting dressed. Almost everyone at that age will need help with housekeeping, laundry, grocery shopping.

Let no one make us feel guilty because we're enjoying our retirement and not working.

(And a cheery good morning to everyone! )

Old 09-28-2013, 09:44 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
I question the part about her saying she has the most seniority and thus she would be the last one to leave.

I am a former proud union member and union president of our local, but I can assure you hiding behind seniority when you no longer are able to be productive for an 8 hour shift would get you canned.

I seriously doubt ANY person over 90 can still be productive holding down a physical labor job.

It is my opinion Boeing is keeping her for publicity and scared of her filing an age discrimination suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement