Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times

Advertisements

in SSI, do they look at personal or household income?

This person in question will live with working people who have income.

Last edited by misterno; 09-30-2013 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:47 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
how about money in cash? SSI maybe?
Already told you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Apply for SSI
Quote:
in SSI, do they look at personal or household income?

This person in question will leave with working people who have income.
Google is your friend:
Quote:
SSI considers your entire household's income and resources, not just yours.

Income Limits & SSI Disability Eligibility | Disability Secrets

Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
OP, what is the insistence about having to have CASH??? Even WalMart will take a government benefit check and give you cash. When I hear people only want cash, it is usually for no good purpose.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
There may be issues if the citizen was sponsored to come to the US, in this case, the sponsors income is considered for five years after person came to US, regardless of citizenship date.

Really, this can be so complicated, with so many variables, which seemingly change, in a nanosecond...you go apply for social security. Take all papers...birth certs, marriage certs, citizenship certs..bank info...tax returns, verification of current income.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-30-2013 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
she lived overseas almost all her life

She has no income no assets

She was married before the but the spouse is not American nor has any retirement salary or any money coming in

So in this case, what can she do? I understand Medicaid but that is for healthcare

how about money in cash? SSI maybe?
I'm confused.
A US citizen moved to a foreign country (?as a child), married a foreigner, lived in a foreign country "almost her entire life", never worked in the United States but moved back to the United States as a senior citizen (?65 years old) and expects the United States to provide "cash" to her? Or did she become a US citizen when she was already a senior citizen (after being a citizen of another country her entire life)?

Maybe I'm missing something but that seems pretty odd and unusual to me.
Why would someone who lived "almost their entire life" in a different country move to the USA as a senior citizen with no money? Was it because they didn't have any retirement money in the foreign country, "no income" and "no assets" and wanted to get "free money" in the US? I am not trying to be rude, I am really trying to understand the situation.

Maybe I'm missing something quite obvious, but why does the original poster believe that the US needs to support/"provide cash" to a senior citizen if she never lived and worked (or had a spouse living & working) in the US?

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-30-2013 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm confused.
A US citizen moved to a foreign country (?as a child), married a foreigner, lived in a foreign country "almost her entire life", never worked in the United States but moved back to the United States as a senior citizen (?65 years old) and expects the United States to provide "cash" to her? Or did she become a US citizen when she was already a senior citizen (after being a citizen of another country her entire life)?

Maybe I'm missing something but that seems pretty odd and unusual to me.
Why would someone who lived "almost their entire life" in a different country move to the USA as a senior citizen with no money? Was it because they didn't have any retirement money in the foreign country, "no income" and "no assets" and wanted to get "free money" in the US? I am not trying to be rude, I am really trying to understand the situation.

Maybe I'm missing something quite obvious, but why does the original poster believe that the US needs to support/"provide cash" to a senior citizen if she never lived and worked (or had a spouse living & working) in the US?
Oh, she's probably this OP's sister/sister-in-law, who married a foreigner whose marriage ended (death/divorce) after 25-30 years or so. So she has no 'family' on her husband's side, anymore.

Earlier it was posted, by earlyretirement, I think, that females marrying certain South American citizens could very well end up with nothing.

Here's the post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I’m on vacation out of the country so I haven’t been reading the board the past several days and will be out of the country until next week. But I got your DM so I thought I’d answer and I hope others in a similar situation find this helpful.

Just my 2 cents. You need to be aware of the differences in law between the USA and various countries in South America. I’m not sure where in Latin America but you can probably apply this advice to many countries.

First of all, don’t assume that any property will automatically become yours in the event that you marry and something were to happen to your spouse (assuming you get married). I know you didn’t ask this part of it but I still think it’s worth mentioning it. The inheritance laws are VERY strict in some of these Latin American countries.

In some, you couldn’t write your kid out of a last will and testament if you tried. So it would be wise to see what is applicable to you. For example, you mentioned this was his 2nd marriage assuming you get married. You need to be mindful and think about the possibility that any properties/real estate he bought when he was married before he married to you might go directly to his ex-wife or children.

I mention this because I know someone this happened to. She got married to someone from South America and he died. She assumed she was going to be comfortable as he owned many properties. They never had “the talk” and she assumed everything was going to her.

He bought them many decades prior in a previous life and he had an ex-wife and kids. Well, he died and she didn’t get any of the properties at all. So go into a potential marriage talking about all of these things. The laws in Latin America are DRASTICALLY different.

Also, keep in mind that the legal and judicial system in many of these countries are totally broken and can take YEARS and YEARS to untangle in the event of some problem. So even if ultimately you might lay claim to something, his family members can make it difficult and ugly for you.

You mentioned that he owns property with his brother. You need to realize that in many of these countries the brother can make it difficult/impossible for you to ever lay claim to this property. Even if they have a good relationship now, I’ve seen plenty of examples of family members cheating other family members.

If you get married, I’d encourage you to speak to an attorney or Escribano to really map out everything in detail if he wants to leave this property to you. A US last will and testament is typically invalid in many countries so find out what is applicable to the country you are speaking about.

<snip - all the stuff about tax accountants>

It's VERY important that if you do get married, you discuss in GREAT detail with your spouse everything and also discuss with lawyers the best game plan. As well, many times people have no clue how things will end up and no one likes discussing the possibility of death, etc. So you will want to really discuss this as it pertains to South America. "Blood is thicker than water" when it comes to family down there. You should know that going into any potential marriage down there.
Some of the above could be true for the person OP is inquiring about. Which is why she's high and dry now.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-30-2013 at 10:53 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Does he/she have a work history that would make him/her eligible for social security?

There is nothing that provides CASH.

The chances of getting cold hard cash, though, are low.
Social Security gives you cash. The deposit goes directly into your bank account and then go go and withdraw the cash. So technically, the bank gives you cash.

I believe the OP is asking about cash, as opposed to heating assistance, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

The chances of getting cold hard cash, though, are low.

Not in NY, where recipients can curiously even carry over cash grant/SNAP balances, allowing them to accrue from one month to another.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Social Security gives you cash. The deposit goes directly into your bank account and then go go and withdraw the cash. So technically, the bank gives you cash.

I believe the OP is asking about cash, as opposed to heating assistance, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.
Imo, the OP is asking about cold, hard cash, no questions asked.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
Somehow I doubt they will be eligible for Social Security, if they lived overseas since a baby and never worked and just recently came back. I don't know how SSI works, that could be a possibility. Otherwise, welfare, medicaid, church food pantries are all possibilities. I realize they aren't "cash" but they could help a person survive, I guess.

I think there may be more to the story than we're being told, but I shouldn't speculate on those details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement