Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How have your politics changed as you get older?
Not at all 25 17.86%
Never cared one way or the other- a political 7 5.00%
I've become more Conservative 60 42.86%
I've become more Liberal 48 34.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I thought I added a poll but it's not showing up.

Here are the choices
Not at all
Never cared one way or the other - a pollitical
I've gotten more Conservative
I've gotten more Liberal

I've reconnected with many old highschool and college friends through Facebook and I've noticed some interesting trends with my friends.
Those who were not interested in Civil Rights, Women's Movement, Anti War Movement in the 60's are today mostly conservative or call themselves a political. (I'm 67)

Those who did participate in those causes are still involved and identify as Liberal.

I don't really want to discuss politics here but am wondering how you think you have changed.

My mother is an interesting example. While my father was alive she either had no opinion or never expressed them or went along with whatever he thought. He was ultra conservative.

Shortly after he died (she was a young widow at 52) she came into her own and became somewhat of a liberal. I think being a single woman completely on her own with no one to run interference for her opened up her eyes to the real world. I've known other women in similar situations who change as they get older.

I've always been fairly liberal or progressive. My husband on the other hand was a political, never participated in any march or movement as he was working and had a family to support. He thought all that nonsense was for bored college kids (he's 74). But as he got older and started hanging out with me (I'm his trophy wife of 38 years!) he became so much more open minded and aware of injustices in the world. Once he was a Deacon in the Nazarene church and now he is a militant atheist. This of course influences his politics.

So how have you changed if at all?

Last edited by no kudzu; 10-07-2013 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: thought I added a poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
The big thing that changed for me as I got older was I realized there are good places to discuss politics--and there are places where political discussion can be destructive. Personally, I think this forum is one of the places where political discussions become destructive.

The POC forum was created so there would be a good place for questions like this--lots of the people who hang out on this forum also hang out there, so you'll be able to get this question answered by many of the same people who would answer it here.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Thank you Caladium. I deliberately did not post in POC because it gets so nasty there and I want to hear from older folks (over 65), not young people or even middle aged people. I'm hoping we can avoid political discourse but only how folks see change in their attitude.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
This is the wrong forum for the discussion.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
I think this is the proper place to ask a " generac" question as to whether our political views changed as we got older.

older and retirement usually go hand in hand

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
I think your labels are interesting but not a good fit for me.

I am 66.

My mother told me once that if she disagreed with my fathers choice, she didn't vote, because she felt his vote (opinion) was the valid one and she didn't want to cancel him out.

I was and am a feminist, pacifist, world citizen. People are still describing me as "too independent".

Politically, I am on the conservative side and always have been. Sometimes, often, my party embarrasses me, and if I was giving a dinner party, the guest list would come from the other side. It would make for more interesting conversation.

I think we need more women in politics, more women in business, and at least for the moment conversely, more women in the home. I don't have an answer except to throw out what we have and start over. The way we do that is to vote.

My husband was ultra conservative. Neither swayed the other. He wasn't comfortable talking to anyone who disagreed with him, politically or otherwise. (He was a good man and I loved him, in case that isn't coming through. )

If I have talked about politics, let me know and I will rub some of this out.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Should all questions regarding retirement relocation be sent to the.........General Moving Forum ?

I think not.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
I do not like the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum not because of the arguments (forums invite that) but because it's one big jumble of threads many of which have absolutely nothing to do with politics.

This new thread being created in the Retirement Forum would get lost after Day 1 in that forum, it is so fast moving and impossible to track.

(I wish someone would create a straight POLITICS forum and leave out the "other controversies.")

At any rate, I think any topic is fair game in the Retirement Forum. After all, politics very closely affects seniors as much if not more these days than any other group. To have an intelligent discussion about public policy as driven by politics that impacts us as we age would belong here, imo (again, it would get smothered in that other forum)...IF we can keep it civil and not nasty and not so specific that we have a mudslinging contest re: the "parties." I doubt that can happen, sadly.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Should all questions regarding retirement relocation be sent to the.........General Moving Forum ?

I think not.
Agree.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
oh shoot. I thought you were all responding to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement