Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 05:54 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Understanding that you retired prior to FRA and having already recorded 35 years or more of earnings (same as me) - do you by chance still have old SS benefit statements? Do you know or recall what your benefits payment was the year prior to retiring (when you had income) versus a full year after retiring (one year after you had zero income recorded for a year)? I am wondering if there was any/much difference (other than COLA) in your pre-retirement estimated payment versus your one year post-retirement estimated payment.
Gotta laugh, after reading your prior post I was wondering that myself . If there was it wasn't very much. Need to see if I had . It Could have been off set by cola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I believe that is incorrect, but am currently too tired to search for the official answer. Do you have a cite?

Here's my thinking... Let's say you have 35 years of earnings, but all of those years were not at the maximum taxable level. Now you are earning the maximum amount. If the estimate is based on your current income and assumes that you will continue to earn at least this amount until your FRA, it would also be assumed that your later years of earnings will replace the earlier earning years. Thus, if you no longer have earned income, the assumed replacement of the lower earnings will not take place and the benefit should end up being less than predicted.

Granted, there will be some higher wage earners where the difference may not be significant because of the various "bend points", but for other earners it could be significant.

Hope I explained my thoughts well enough for you to address this. Thanks.
Leorna,

I believe the answer may lie in these two computations for Social Security's:
Average Indexed Monthly Earnings (AIME)
Primary Insurance Amount (PIA)

Not sure if you want to dig through these two complex, intertwined, convoluted computation tables with old, new and transitional methods of benefit determination...

Then again, maybe you are thinking about collecting benefits, but still working - in which if you opt to collect benefits prior to FRA, you are subject to an earnings test every year until you reach FRA. This is not what was being discussed...

Last edited by highcotton; 10-27-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Gotta laugh, after reading your prior post I was wondering that myself . If there was it wasn't very much. Need to see if I had . It Could have been off set by cola.
Thanks! That's my recollection too.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That's my recollection too.
I am very close to being maxed out so continued work was only going to increase it so much it was pretty locked in. I do remember waiting to year 2 to be certain. Since I retired on Dec 31, my final pay and vacation days were kicked into the next year.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I am very close to being maxed out so continued work was only going to increase it so much it was pretty locked in. I do remember waiting to year 2 to be certain. Since I retired on Dec 31, my final pay and vacation days were kicked into the next year.
Very similar here - about 30 of the 35 years were maxed-out. I must have thrown away the older statements that I received just prior to retiring. Too bad, because I cannot compare the last year statement in which I worked to one-year after I retired with no income earnings to see if there was any/much change. If there was any change, it wasn't much...

Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 PM

TuborgP - You never answered my question...

Are you going to Franklin Street in Chapel Hill for Halloween?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
TuborgP - You never answered my question...

Are you going to Franklin Street in Chapel Hill for Halloween?
Bad back and crazy people. We know folks from up north who just retired to Chapel Hill

Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Bad back and crazy people. We know folks from up north who just retired to Chapel Hill
Haha! I was kidding. Trust me, you don't want to be on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill on Halloween.

Sometime you should treat your friends new to Chapel Hill to dinner and drinks at the Top of the Hill restaurant. Or Spanky's for a burger...or even Sutton's Drug store. All on Franklin Street.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:30 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times
Quote:
Very similar here - about 30 of the 35 years were maxed-out. I must have thrown away the older statements that I received just prior to retiring. Too bad, because I cannot compare the last year statement in which I worked to one-year after I retired with no income earnings to see if there was any/much change. If there was any change, it wasn't much...
I have set up an online account at socialsecurity.gov and can look at all my past earnings, and other info pertaining to my SS benefits. I might be wrong, but I don't believe they are mailing anymore paper statements out like they used to.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Leorna,

I believe the answer may lie in these two computations for Social Security's:
Average Indexed Monthly Earnings (AIME)
Primary Insurance Amount (PIA)

Not sure if you want to dig through these two complex, intertwined, convoluted computation tables with old, new and transitional methods of benefit determination...

Then again, maybe you are thinking about collecting benefits, but still working - in which if you opt to collect benefits prior to FRA, you are subject to an earnings test every year until you reach FRA. This is not what was being discussed...
Heheh. I know all of that stuff - I just wasn't sure how you came up with the idea that the estimated benefit ignores years of zero income years following no work activity, if the future recipient has already recorded a 35 year work history. (I know that this is stated incorrectly but at the moment my brain cannot spit out the proper form. <sigh> )

I'll be 62 early next year but plan on applying for disability benefits going back to age 60 1/2, rather than apply for early, reduced benefits. Of course, I've been planning on this for over a year and have not yet completed an application, so who knows? If I actually apply and am denied I'm not sure whether I will collect early retirement benefits or draw down my meager retirement funds as long as possible. I know I'm not going to sweat over it. (Er, at least I hope not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement