U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,596,763 times

Advertisements

I guess this can fit into retirement, as my DH and I, who just retired, are now using our time dealing with aging relatives and the eventual cleaning out a house. We got talking tonight about the 20+ years worth of tax return receipts and info he found in the house and I commented about shredding it. Then we got thinking, once someone has passed, social security is notified of the death, what happens to their SS no.? Can there be identity theft of someone who has died and SS has been notified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM

5,167 posts, read 8,691,075 times
Smile Absolutely....

Notify all the creditors. Some will report "deceased" on the credit report.

My husband is a CPA and most of the identity theft he sees seems to be connected to the medical info (example: input person at a hospital selling the info to one of their friends).

He saw a decline in 2013 but it still happened to many people. Some were municipal employees, some government employees (police, fire, etc), some had medical issues.

One person even got the new PIN from IRS since she had identity theft the year before; even with the new PIN, she had it happen the following year.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,991 times
Immediately notify the Social Security Administration, all 3 credit bureaus, all creditors including (but not limited to) utilities, credit cards, loans, mortgages, insurance companies. Notify the banks and the county property appraisers office where the deceased lived (if they owned a home or car). Contract the local newspaper and request that an obituary NOT be placed in the newspaper. Notification should include a telephone call and followed up by correspondence containing a death certificate sent certified return receipt requested.

This does not guarantee that no one will assume their identity but it puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the person who continues to do business with a dead person.

I had this happen with my former bank. My husband and I had joint accounts. I had notified the bank of his death and submitted the death certificate. Three days later my dead husband apparently walked into the bank and requested a new debit card. Thankfully the bank sent the debit card to my address and not to the address my dead husband gave to them (which should have been the cemetery, but wasn't). I don't think the bank will soon forget the sheer fury of a widow who is told her dead husband unearthed himself to conduct further business and that they helped him instead of calling the police.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,752,622 times
Some of the Social Security Death Index sites (public, not related to Social Security at all) include the SSN of deceased persons. I've often wondered if identity thieves can use those numbers shortly after someone's death (before all the official records have been updated) for fraudulent medical care and credit card accounts.

http://wiz.ancestry.com/Preview/?sub...ide&h=40106144

Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Taking over the identity and VOTE of deceased people is VERY popular by a certain political party in the left coast states that exclusively use 'mail-in-ballots' .

I had to present evidence that my deceased parent had NOT CAST their vote, as recorded. (Had died within the mail-in ballot period), very convenient way to win an election. The whole left coast gives driver's license and ID to illegals, so that helps win votes too.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,596,763 times
Interesting information. Thanks. We will keep this in mind when the time comes.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
The Social Security "Death Index" tape (Now a downloadable file) is created weekly on Friday nights.

All the credit reporting agencies, major banks, credit cards etc, All pickup the file in Friday night/ Saturdays morning, and process it against there databases and flag file of customers / records.

My company has a process that looks for dead customers' and flag there records. We have had records flaged long before the Estate notifies us.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Immediately notify the Social Security Administration, all 3 credit bureaus, all creditors including (but not limited to) utilities, credit cards, loans, mortgages, insurance companies. Notify the banks and the county property appraisers office where the deceased lived (if they owned a home or car). Contract the local newspaper and request that an obituary NOT be placed in the newspaper. Notification should include a telephone call and followed up by correspondence containing a death certificate sent certified return receipt requested.

This does not guarantee that no one will assume their identity but it puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the person who continues to do business with a dead person.

I had this happen with my former bank. My husband and I had joint accounts. I had notified the bank of his death and submitted the death certificate. Three days later my dead husband apparently walked into the bank and requested a new debit card. Thankfully the bank sent the debit card to my address and not to the address my dead husband gave to them (which should have been the cemetery, but wasn't). I don't think the bank will soon forget the sheer fury of a widow who is told her dead husband unearthed himself to conduct further business and that they helped him instead of calling the police.
^^^

This.

Not only did my stepbrother have a credit report run and requested new cards from each of Dad's accounts, he had my Mom's phone number forwarded to his so she had no landline for WEEKS.

He tried to cash checks at all of the banlks, one actually DID give him money. After the bank called Mom the manager called my SB and he brought the money back. The case is still pending in court.

He also had my Mom's mail forwarded to him, which was corrected but the charges are still pending, after a YEAR.

He came to Mom's house screaming that he owned it and was there to evict her. Neighbors called police, restraining order, patrol on her street for months.

The credit card companies do an SS number scan quarterly so they didn't know he was dead for MONTHS.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:20 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Some of the Social Security Death Index sites (public, not related to Social Security at all) include the SSN of deceased persons. I've often wondered if identity thieves can use those numbers shortly after someone's death (before all the official records have been updated) for fraudulent medical care and credit card accounts.
All public SSDI sites pull their data from the Social Security's Death Master File.
The database prevents far more cases of identity fraud than it enables. There's a nice summary at this link:
About the Social Security Death Master File.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or