Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,408,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
You know how I avoid most of those calls, no id, me no answer, call goes to voice mail, they don't leave a message they don't get a call back, and if they do leave info and get a call back from me, it's because I've already reversed searched the number and determined it's not a spammer and I for some reason feel talkative.
I do exactly the same thing. Even though I'm on the "Do Not Call" list, I get several calls each day that are either (1) telemarketers who leave a message or (2) people I assume to be telemarketers, who hang up.

Just remember, folks...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
And if it sounds like they're from Asia hang up.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM

2,838 posts, read 3,178,654 times
This morning I had a call that showed up as Unknown on the caller ID. The phone number was there though. I've never had the "Unknown" before on my caller ID. I didn't answer. Nobody legitimate would call that way.
I have noticed a huge increase in robocalls and/or scams in the last couple of years.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
I have had "Unkown" come up. It was always my neighbor.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
Whenever somebody asks for "The Lady of the House" I know it is a sales pitch and I hang up. Recently we've been getting calls for "The Man of the House". Don't these people get tired of folks hanging up on them? What a terrible way to try to earn a living.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,376,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have had "Unkown" come up. It was always my neighbor.
And I just got another tonight from my doctor! She was calling on her cell phone and didn't want to wait until she got to her office tomorrow. You just never know.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,363,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Whenever somebody asks for "The Lady of the House" I know it is a sales pitch and I hang up. Recently we've been getting calls for "The Man of the House". Don't these people get tired of folks hanging up on them? What a terrible way to try to earn a living.
You can always respond you're the cleaning help - or hubby can say he's the handyman/gardener. I had a friend who did that.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM

277 posts, read 517,784 times
I posted this on my facebook page Oct.10 this year:
'Received a call this morning from a man claiming to be with 'Windows' tech support telling me that they had just received a report from my computer about a problem. I told him that wasn't possible because I had to 'ok' it to be sent. He said that it probably asked me if I wanted to send the report 'now' or 'later' but I interrupted him and said that's not how it works. Anyway he rambled on about viruses, spam, malware and all kind of things that could be infecting my computer, at this point I interrupted him again and asked him from what country was he calling (because I know a lot of the tech support staff is overseas and he had a heavy asian accent) .. he said he was in Florida ... I told him that Florida was not a country but a state ... he tried continuing with his pitch but I interrupted him again about where he was calling from ... out of the blue he said F*** your mother, you F*** your mother, I told him I was a woman not a man (because he kept on saying 'sir' to me) you stupid a$$hole and hung up. He definitely was not from any tech support ... will never answer the phone again from 'unknown' caller.' ' The area code was 786 (Miami) and the number was 565-1578 ..'

My son suggested (if I answered the phone by mistake ) to answer that they had reached the IT dept. of such and such police dept. and that I would transfer them ... and see how long they stayed on .... there's a forum (on another website) that lists a ton of these numbers that these people call from.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,408,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Telemarketers actually use those terms (lady/man of the house)? Sounds very sexist and outmoded to me...

Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 AM

858 posts, read 2,988,851 times
I really find it hard to have too much sympathy for folks who fall for these types of scams. Am I being too insensitive; I guess I am, but come on now, with all the news reports/articles on these types of scams, it's really difficult to see how anyone would fall for them now-a-days. To top it, I even read an article in a local newspaper in which the scammers told the person they were scamming that the credit card didn't go through, and requested a second credit card; and guess what, they gave it to them!!!

I've had a few of these types of calls, and I like to have fun with them: I always ask them how they can know I have a problem with my computer, when I don't even have a computer- they hang up fast; or I screw with them by telling them I can't hear them due to static, and they hang up fast as they want to get onto the next sucker.

These scams work because some folks just don't learn until they've been burned, and then there are some who will never learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement