Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM

41 posts, read 58,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
The fundamental problem is that the people working in this field -- with the clear exception of Bernstein and the possible exception of Pfau -- simply do not understand the behavior of stochastic processes. I say this as a card-carrying applied mathematician of some accomplishment. For the most part, economists are dim bulbs, and financial planners are even dimmer. For a real contrast read Nassim Taleb's work (The Black Swan, etc) -- this guy knows what he is talking about.
I'm really not trying to argue when I say this: As an extreme cynic, what do YOU do to plan for retirement (or what have you done. I don't know your retirement status)? Genuinely curious, which is why I started this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:30 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuindc View Post
I'm really not trying to argue when I say this: As an extreme cynic, what do YOU do to plan for retirement (or what have you done. I don't know your retirement status)? Genuinely curious, which is why I started this thread.
I have been comfortably retired for some time. Fortunately, I do not yet need to draw-down my portfolio. When I do, I will use the constant-percentage method (e.g., 3% of the portfolio, recalculated each year) or an RMD-like method (portfolio value divided by a conservative estimate of joint life expectancy, recalculated each year). The paper I referenced clearly shows that these methods are more effective than the SWR approach. They inherently adapt to market performance (yes, Matt, I know that they provide a variable income, just like my earnings varied from year-to-year before I retired).

If you are trying to figure this out for the first time, by all means read William Bernstein's little books Ages of the Investor and Deep Risk, and for goodness sakes ignore most of what you see on the internet amateur hour.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
as of now pfau and bernstein are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

pfau sees the greater success in increasing equities as we age, bernstein sees ditching them all together.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 AM

168 posts, read 174,468 times
I found an advisor with 30 yrs. expience to help me. We meet quarterly to go over my financial investments and my withdrawal basis is fluid. My goals are to provide myself income while growing my portfolio. I hope to leave an inheritance for my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement