Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Employee loyalty used to be very high. But when the 80's hit, a lot of companies eliminated their pension plans and replaced them with 401k investment plans. Now an employee could leave his company and take his retirement fund with him and not have to stay with his company. So in some cases, employees left for better jobs because they were freed from the old pension system. So its a change and the result is not all the employers fault or the employees fault.
Of course you're right; the elimination of pensions may have figured into the issue, although from what I understand, employees were vested in pensions after five years or so.

I never worked at any place that offered a pension, so pensions rarely figure into my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Your previous posts say: I worked in newspapers for 16 years, than switched to nonprofit fundraising.

How is that analogous to MY comment?
You tell me. Why did you bring up my career history, and how does it relate to the topic at hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Of course you're right; the elimination of pensions may have figured into the issue, although from what I understand, employees were vested in pensions after five years or so.

I never worked at any place that offered a pension, so pensions rarely figure into my thoughts.

Quote:
Quote:
Your previous posts say: I worked in newspapers for 16 years, than switched to nonprofit fundraising.

How is that analogous to MY comment?

You tell me. Why did you bring up my career history, and how does it relate to the topic at hand?
Because YOU said I"M OUT OF THE LOOP ***FOR 40 YEARS***

When in reality you were NEVER IN THE LOOP I was talking about. The LOOP of the current decade of my experience.

I know about newspapers. I certainly know about fund raising orgs. My former boss is Gail McGovern, the head of the Red Cross and I have another friend heading up another nationally known medical type non profit. NOTHING to do with for profit corporations or the point I was making about working one's way up the corporate ladder or even staying in a company for life.

But you decided to challenge me and make accusations not in evidence. Libel actually haha.

Journalist? Um....not very thorough or accurate or even relevant journalistic job with that

But now that you mention it. HOW did Gail McGovern leave telcom and become the head of the Red Cross but YOU imply you couldn't even find a job?

See? That's the difference.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The boomer wave may be the historical deviant. Super educated, high salaries, pensions, well-invested. The next generation may not fare so well.
I don't think you're describing the average "boomer." Not according to the various reports I've read and discussions we've had here on C-D. The generation ahead of the boomers was probably better prepared for retirement. The generations following the boomers have time to adjust to the new economy/world order of things. Social Security eligibility/age to receive benefits will change, I've no doubt. Full benefits at 70, not 66. Early retirement at 65 or 67, not starting at 62. Current or soon to be retired recipients will be grandfathered to protect against sudden changes. Mutual funds continue to do well, as long as the anarchists in Congress don't again attack us and our system of government.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Definitely seems like we need more not less cuddling for seniors .

Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That provocative title sure got your attention, didn't it, lol?

Well, I'm sure that is why it was used as the title of this opinion piece by Robert Samuelson:

Robert J. Samuelson: We need to stop coddling the elderly - The Washington Post
The way I see it we're like any other voting bloc. If you don't coddle us, we'll vote you out of office.

My take is that politicians cater to Independents. So, I tell people to identify as an Independent in polls and surveys, or you'll never get what you want.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The way I see it we're like any other voting bloc. If you don't coddle us, we'll vote you out of office.

My take is that politicians cater to Independents. So, I tell people to identify as an Independent in polls and surveys, or you'll never get what you want.
I've been an Independent for the past 20 years when I decided that no political party represented me and they're all self-serving basket cases. Hasn't helped me a bit, politically, but at least I think for myself without needing a union, association, group, party, etc. to do my thinking for me. If that's the only benefit I derive, I find it well worth it. It frees me to laugh at all of them and those who cling to them.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Interesting and more reason as we move forward to privatize SS so folks can own and control the fruits of their labor and resulting SS contributions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
And when the market collapses and the privatized accounts bottom-out the owners/controllers can all go on the dole for unearned, non-participatory benefits or panhandle, right?
Title 42 United States Code Section 402 - Old-age and survivors insurance benefit payments

(a) Old-age insurance benefits Every individual who—

(1) is a fully insured individual (as defined in section 414 (a) of this title),
(2) has attained age 62, and
(3) has filed application for old-age insurance benefits or was entitled to disability insurance benefits for the month preceding the month in which he attained retirement age (as defined in section 416 (l) of this title), shall be entitled to an old-age insurance benefit for each month, beginning with—

Social Security is an insurance program to hedge against failed investments or failed savings.

Does the quasi-national government need to be running it?

No, the States are perfectly capable of setting up and running social security plans....in fact, 35 of the 48 States had social security plans for their citizens, right up the point when FDR illegally nationalized them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Wasn't it Bush that got us into that unnessasary WAR?
I'm sure to those who do not understand global geo-political (and economic) strategy, it probably does seem unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Of course you're right; the elimination of pensions may have figured into the issue, ...
Pension plans were unsustainable.

Coddling....

Mircea

Old 11-11-2013, 01:02 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Because YOU said I"M OUT OF THE LOOP ***FOR 40 YEARS***

When in reality you were NEVER IN THE LOOP I was talking about. The LOOP of the current decade of my experience.

I know about newspapers. I certainly know about fund raising orgs. My former boss is Gail McGovern, the head of the Red Cross and I have another friend heading up another nationally known medical type non profit. NOTHING to do with for profit corporations or the point I was making about working one's way up the corporate ladder or even staying in a company for life.

But you decided to challenge me and make accusations not in evidence. Libel actually haha.

Journalist? Um....not very thorough or accurate or even relevant journalistic job with that

But now that you mention it. HOW did Gail McGovern leave telcom and become the head of the Red Cross but YOU imply you couldn't even find a job?

See? That's the difference.
Boy Howdy, now I am confused. But I hope you enjoyed your rant, whatever it was about.

Back to the topic at hand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Definitely seems like we need more not less cuddling for seniors .
There certainly are some on this thread who could benefit from a cuddle or two.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Social Security is an insurance program to hedge against failed investments or failed savings.

Does the quasi-national government need to be running it?

No, the States are perfectly capable of setting up and running social security plans....in fact, 35 of the 48 States had social security plans for their citizens, right up the point when FDR illegally nationalized them all.

I'm sure to those who do not understand global geo-political (and economic) strategy, it probably does seem unnecessary.

Pension plans were unsustainable.

Coddling....

Mircea
Really? Could that be why FICA stands for the Federal Insurance Contributions Act even though it's really just another tax?

Since Social Security has been around since 1935 and since the current and a number of past administrations seem to think they know better than all of us, bigger government is somehow better government and we the people are too ignorant to look out for our own best interests my best guess is that it's here to stay, at least awhile longer.

Yeah, those dang, unsustainable pension plans. Ours (my wife's and mine) has only been around since 1931. <::::sigh::::> I guess it just doesn't understand "global geo-political (and economic) strategy" or it would have folded its tent 80 years ago.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM

175 posts, read 406,150 times
Yes-I worked for YEARS without benefits. ...
I worked what is called 'premium', which was more per hour (I started at $10/hour plus a few cents-but no benefit- no health insurance, life insurance, vacation,, retirement....NOTHING-except disability insurance-which only covers you for 3 months. You seem to have a starry view of work comp. You do not get work comp as soon as it is determined that you will not recover/get better. There are 5 states (I think) that have private work comp. You do not get the Federally funded benefits that the other states give. I did not know this until I was hurt. It is also against the law to sue your employer even if they blatantly contributed to your injury.
Yes-I worked two different jobs-4 days -12 hour shifts,a week at one hospital,, 3 days -8 hour shifts at week at another. When I did get to go to just one job it still didn't have benefits. Not all hospitals in the 80's gave benefits. That was when they started sending nurses home if the patient were discharged. There was no guarantee that you would get 40 hours. You took what you could beg for-or in my case , train for...
I am now in my 60's...
Disability Social Security is based on your income. I have had this as my only income except one Home Health patient for 5 months. AsI get worse the neurosurgeon nixed me even doing that.
No, I did not get child support .There are many loopholes that a father who does not want to pay can jump through...and still drive a Caddy.
You seem to think that the world just dumps money on everyone..NOT.
Hard work helps tremendously but sometimes bad luck happens.
Oh-the job you listed-is as it states...'Travel Nurse'.......I'm sure I wanted to move my daughter to a different/city/state/school every 13 weeks...
And the jobs today are not the jobs that were available when I was working...I wish!
I always thought that after my daughter was through college that I would travel as a nurse, but that was not to be.

Last edited by Sasha's; 11-11-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement