Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 PM

21,878 posts, read 12,930,704 times

Advertisements

It really IS a lot less trouble than shorter styles -- esp. when you have "uncooperative" hair. Contrary to popular opinion! That wasn't Crystal Gayle with the hair down to the ankles, was it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It really IS a lot less trouble than shorter styles -- esp. when you have "uncooperative" hair. Contrary to popular opinion! That wasn't Crystal Gayle with the hair down to the ankles, was it???
I agree 100% about easy maintenance. I just wash, towel dry, blow dry for 5 minutes then tie up in a bun - no fuss, no muss.

I looked up images of Crystal Gale. My sister has some resemblance to her, but her hair was even longer. She had to trim it every so often to keep it off the ground.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I agree 100% about easy maintenance. I just wash, towel dry, blow dry for 5 minutes then tie up in a bun - no fuss, no muss.

I looked up images of Crystal Gale. My sister has some resemblance to her, but her hair was even longer. She had to trim it every so often to keep it off the ground.
I've heard it's very unusual to be able to grow hair below the waist (I suppose it depends where your waist is), but supposedly it's a rare genetic thing, or so I heard on "Body Bizarre," anyway. At any rate, I also get that disapproval from the female peer group who thinks long hair on an older woman is simply awful. It makes me feel like a Mennonite some days... As for mine, I just wash it, braid it, and go...

Last edited by otterhere; 08-05-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 01:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
The misguided idea that long hair is inappropriate or wrong for older women is revolting.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:34 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
At any rate, I also get the disapproval from the female peer group who thinks long hair on an older woman is just awful.
Women friends can be wonderful and supportive but some can be catty and petty. I belong to a number of groups both women only or mixed gender but they are either professional or common purpose/interest groups so I have not experienced any of these pettiness.

I have no doubts that there are some people who like to gossip or make catty remarks in some of the groups which I belong. However, since I keep my distance from people who display such behavior, I never hear their comments or if I do, the nasty words just go from one ear to the other. There are so many exciting things to do, beautiful things to see, to hear, to experience in the world so why waste your time with the small minded people.

I think some of the woman in your peer group were just envious of your long hair ;-)

Old 08-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Little remarks about long hair "pulling your face down" or short hair "being like a face lift"...

Guess what, ladies? You still look old!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:59 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times
The women in my family have always put their hair up in the up-do appropriate to the era when they became older. No one has cut their hair short because of societal pressure, so it's really no surprise that I won't cut mine short either. So if long hair pulls your face down or makes one look tired or droopy - well, put it up. It's almost the same thing and you have versatility, too. In bad weather, up or back it goes. Good weather - hmmm, what do I feel like doing with it today?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:56 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,542 times

I've heard it's very unusual to be able to grow hair below the waist (I suppose it depends where your waist is), but supposedly it's a rare genetic thing, or so I heard on "Body Bizarre," anyway. At any rate, I also get that disapproval from the female peer group who thinks long hair on an older woman is simply awful. It makes me feel like a Mennonite some days... As for mine, I just wash it, braid it, and go...

That was my plan too. Allow it to grow to a few inches below my shoulders and then braid it. My hair stopped growing out well about shoulder length and began to look weedy for want of a better term so I'm doing the Hillary Clinton bob, hairband and all. It works as I have a wide face and apple cheeks.

My mom goes on and on about "older" women needing to cut their hair and I just say "There you go again with the short hair." She just laughs now. I don't know what that is frankly. Some women look great with that pixie cut (think Judy Dench) some would look like they are all face. Viva la difference!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:39 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
I saw the MOST adorable hairdo on a 75 y/o woman at a funeral two weeks ago. Nice platinum blonde, chin length, bangs, beautiful waves, a little spiky at the ends - enormously flattering and a big change from a year ago - where she looked somewhat frumpy. I asked her where she had it done. She said her granddaughter did it.

Last night I talked to a mutual friend (Joan) who knows the woman (Jan) very well. Anyway, we were talking about coloring hair, and hair in general, and I remarked on Jan's supercute/flattering wonderful hairdo which didn't blow all to pieces in the wind at the cemetary like the rest of us.

My friend replied - "Oh, that's a wig."

So, there. ...... Now, that's got me thinking.

In my younger years, I did have waist length, very heavy hair. I still have a reasonably decent head of hair (not as nearly thick as I'd like) about shoulder length, but it is losing volume. Coloring really amps up the volume - for a while. Because of this, I've found over the years I have to cut it shorter and shorter. To me, longish hair is easier to style. Shoulder length, however, is as short as I'll go. As long as I can color it, tie it back or put it up, or on some really good days wear it down and brushed back, it's good. Gray hair on me is a nonstarter as is short, short hair.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-05-2015 at 04:50 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 04:47 PM

496 posts, read 552,695 times
My take on life is such, that I firmly urge any man or woman, who is advised to do *anything* they don't like "because you're older," to do the exact opposite. Unless it's your doctor, or possibly your lawyer or accountant giving informed advice, of course.

Let's track down these smug arbiters of "age appropriateness" and take away their "Do as I say" cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
misguided wrong beliefs that older women should not have long hair.

just my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement