Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:49 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
All I know is that a friend, who has BC/BS, had to pay for it. She was told is wasn't covered and I believe she wasn't the only one I heard that from.
I have b/c b/s; I got the shot at my pcp and it was covered. This year.
Medicare will cover it; the amount depends on where you get the shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
In the past year I've talked to 4 doctors and 2 pharmacy's that give the shot and all have said that insurance did not cover the shot and the cost's they quoted were between $200.00 and $250.00.
My wife got the shingles a few years ago. She itched badly and was sore to the touch. She went to dematologist as soon as she had an outbreak and the doctor gave her some skin cream and some pills, and within 3 weeks it was all over with. Doc said that it was good that she came in right away to be checked and that's why it didn't get worse. He said too many people wait a long time to finally get some releif.
That $200.00 is a good price! Around here it's closer to $300.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I've heard horror stories about the shingles. I can't remember if I had the chicken pox as a child. Does it matter? Does the shot really work?
If you knew someone with shingles, you wouldn't have to ask that question.
It appears almost anywhere on the body and it excruciatingly painful.
The shot doesn't work for everyone, but it's supposed to reduce the
symptoms.
If you have oozing shingles sores and go near someone who hasn't had
chicken pox, you could give c p to that person.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I nothing about shingles. I'm pretty sure I had chicken pox as a child. Nobody in my immediate family has ever had shingles. Is this something that I need be concerned about? (I'm 62 years young, the second of six children my parents had.)
I only became concerned about it when it seemed
so many people near my age were getting shingles.
The painfulness varies, but it's way more than
I want to deal with.
One of the problems is- if you know you have shingles
early, it can be mitigated with meds.
However it is rarely diagnosed early because it
mimics so many other maladies.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I had a hard time getting my shingles shot covered but was very persistent. I gathered info about my likelihood of getting it due to family circumstances that are like the OP's. I coupled it with information about what treating a serious outbreak costs. I presented that to my insurer, pointing out that they had every bit as much to lose as I did. They agreed to cover the cost, saving me $200+. I had to make several phone calls, but my effort paid off.
Good for you! persistence does pay off.
I learned that when I had to get Medicare to pay
for a different shot for my bh. They finally did
after about 2 hours of phone calls.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Medicare Interactive - Medicare coverage of vaccines and immunizations
All vaccines other than those for the flu, pneumonia or hepatitis B are covered under Medicare Part D. If you have a Medicare prescription drug plan (Part D), you can get coverage for any commercially available vaccine that is not covered by Part B. All Part D plans must include all commercially available vaccines on their formularies, including the vaccine for shingles (herpes zoster). Your Part D plan will pay for the vaccination itself and for your doctor or other health care provider to give you the shot (administration).Before you get a vaccination, you should check coverage rules with your Part D plan and see where you should get your shot so that it will be covered for you at the lowest cost.
This is exactly what I found out. BH had a hep a and b shot (combination) and they
would only pay for hep b. Talk about fun dealing with separating the shot expense. But
they did.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:10 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
OK, folks. Unless you have one of those crappy insurance plans that does not comply with the mandates under the Affordable Care Act, the shingles vaccine is covered under your insurance plan once you reach 60 years old.

Why age 60 and not before? Because the CDC recommends it be given at age 60.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
All I know is that a friend, who has BC/BS, had to pay for it. She was told is wasn't covered and I believe she wasn't the only one I heard that from.

My husband and I have Blue Cross Anthem and they paid for it no problem.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
If you have prescription coverage on Medicare or your supplemental, it will be covered, otherwise, not. My Dad 84 has Medicare and a supplemental, but no rx coverage and since the shingles shot is a prescription it was not covered so he did not get it at 250.00 for the shot.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Omg...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement