Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
My point is/was, practicality may not overrule the emotional aspects and we can all "what if" to death a major decision like remarriage after a certain age. If legal considerations and finances were prevalent factors for most there would be few marriages at any age and probably even fewer children.

I don't know about anyone else but I refuse to live in fear of what may or may not ever occur. If it does, I/we will deal with it. In the interim we'll simply enjoy our lives, together!
Well, I for one would never marry someone without every protection to my assets in place. This is a second marriage for me and my husband and I exchanged net worth statements before we married and created new wills shortly after we married.

Marriage is easy to enter into . . . but not so easy to exit gracefully -- or with one's assets intact.

No one gets married with the expectation that it isn't going to work out well. But . . . sometimes it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina65 View Post
Doesn't it make sense that they should just live together as a committed couple without marrying.?
Comments/Thoughts/Opinions?
If you don't have children together...
this will be true at pretty much any age.

As regards material assets... look for parity and watch out for imbalance.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina65 View Post
The flip side to people not being able to divorce when they get older, for financial reasons, is people taking a big risk to marry when they get older - specifically, when one partner has far greater assets than the other.

Even with a prenuptial agreement.

If one partner becomes sick, unable to work and without assets, eligibiliity for Medicaid may require spending down a substantial portion of the other partner's assets. The worst case becomes he/she does go into a nursing home, spends down the partner's assets and then dies, leaving him/ her older, poorer, and alone.

Doesn't it make sense that they should just live together as a committed couple without marrying.?

Comments/Thoughts/Opinions?

C
It would truly depend on each couple's situation, I would think. The situations you outlined are not that uncommon! However, I don't think most folks consider how easily they could be put into a poverty or nearly impoverished financial condition b/c of the health of their partner.

My advice to friends (who have asked!!!) is to always consult a financial planner and/or a tax attorney before making this decision to re-marry after age 65. There are financial instruments that would protect wealth. For those who are concerned about their children and inheritance . . . this could be a big issue, too.

I have had folks tell me - well, my vows were "for better or worse" - but my reply to that is . . . why endure the financial "worst" if you can avoid it? It may be romantic for someone to "suffer for love" at age 35 but there is nothing romantic about it at 70.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:33 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No one gets married with the expectation that it isn't going to work out well. But . . . sometimes it doesn't.
God knows I'm aware of that!

Quote:
It would truly depend on each couple's situation, I would think. The situations you outlined are not that uncommon! However, I don't think most folks consider how easily they could be put into a poverty or nearly impoverished financial condition b/c of the health of their partner.

My advice to friends (who have asked!!!) is to always consult a financial planner and/or a tax attorney before making this decision to re-marry after age 65. There are financial instruments that would protect wealth. For those who are concerned about their children and inheritance . . . this could be a big issue, too.

I have had folks tell me - well, my vows were "for better or worse" - but my reply to that is . . . why endure the financial "worst" if you can avoid it? It may be romantic for someone to "suffer for love" at age 35 but there is nothing romantic about it at 70.
At age 70 I would agree. At age 50, not so much. But if it's any help, if this marriage comes a cropper I promise not to remarry at 70 (right around the corner) or anytime later.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
God knows I'm aware of that!

At age 70 I would agree. At age 50, not so much. But if it's any help, if this marriage comes a cropper I promise not to remarry at 70 (right around the corner) or anytime later.
LOL.

I expect you will enjoy your retirement years very much with your lovely spouse. Getting married at 50 is, indeed, much different than re-marrying at 70. In either case, though, it is a wonderful thing to find someone to journey into the future together.

Most of us, I would think, made much better choices in our later marriages . . . and 50 isn't that old, anyway!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:18 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Most of us, I would think, made much better choices in our later marriages . . . and 50 isn't that old, anyway!
And some of us got it right the first time!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Absolutely! How wonderful to have shared a history with someone you love and enjoy spending time with . . . a blessing!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I got the divorce right the first time!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:52 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
Remarriage after 50 is a greater burden for women because most are younger than their spouse and will be the caretaker in the majority of situations. Yeah his kids will worry about losing their "inheritance" but many are hard to find when Dad needs help when he gets sick.

Women deserve to inherit for their support. Pretty sure Florida law says 2nd spouse is entitled to 1/3 even if they are left out of the will. (I am a first wife lol).

Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
I see very limited reasons why people over 50 would need to get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement