Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Living in Your Ideal Location?
Yes, I'm in my ideal location and do not have any plans to move. 28 31.82%
Yes, but I anticipate circumstances that will require a move within the next 6 or 7 years. 6 6.82%
No, but I am planning to move to my ideal location as soon as circumstances allow. 22 25.00%
No, and I cannot afford to live in my ideal location, but I plan to move to another location as soon as circumstances allow. 9 10.23%
No, but I expect to remain where I live for the foreseeable future. 19 21.59%
I don't know or I am uncertain. 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I guess we will soon find out. JUST last week we moved from OK to SC. In our minds, our "ideal" destination would be Florida. Will we end up there, I am not sure. I say SC is closer to FL than OK, lol. Our son and his fiancé live here in SC. So far, we are loving it. We had no ties in OK, so it didn't make sense for us to stay there. My two stepdaughters/husbands/grandkids live in CA, but, we can't afford to live in CA. We have no desire to live there anyway even though we are from there, at least I am.
Wait a minute! You have two more husbands besides the one you're with in SC? No wonder you move around a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:49 AM

896 posts, read 1,138,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Wait a minute! You have two more husbands besides the one you're with in SC? No wonder you move around a lot.
hee/hee, not enough coffee yet...THEIR husbands, lol. No desire to move to CA for a variety of reasons. We left in 1993 and a lot has changed.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
hee/hee, not enough coffee yet...THEIR husbands, lol. No desire to move to CA for a variety of reasons. We left in 1993 and a lot has changed.
We didn't escape until 2009 - our careers demanded our presence there - but we're both natives and you're absolutely right, a lot really has changed. No desire to move back for us either even though that's where the bulk of our children and grandchildren live.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:47 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,738 times
Anyone contemplating a move into FL needs to be aware of the insurance challenges there for homes. No income tax but stiff property taxes and then again the insurance.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:03 AM

896 posts, read 1,138,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Anyone contemplating a move into FL needs to be aware of the insurance challenges there for homes. No income tax but stiff property taxes and then again the insurance.

True, and the recent flood insurance changes/requirements. I've been reading up lately, and I don't think it is within our financial reach.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
36 degrees will be our high today, and we got a dusting of snow last night. Tomorrow will be sunny and 45. When the sun shines and it's above 32 it always seems nice. I'm from the SF bay area, and will never go back. California is great, but too many people. Here people still hold a door open, and we have a great American culture still. My AC runs less than 10 days a year, and insects are dead by October. I have no desire for a hot climate at all.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Depends on the definition of ideal. If "ideal" means it has all the truly important items on my wish list, as well as the highest number of secondary items, then yes we just moved to the ideal city for us. And now that we've moved here, our intention is to stay.
For a couple of years I actively investigated potential retirement destinations/locations, if I chose to leave Chicago when I retire. There are so many places I know would make me happy. But for about the past 6 months my thinking has changed about retirement living. With any luck, I'll be able to retire at 66 ... in less than 2 years.

Chicago is my 'home town' so I know and understand it like the back of my hand. Though most of my relatives live in Canada or elsewhere in the USA, two of those I'm closest to live here in the Chicago area. I have family-like friends here, as well. And as I age I think of health care professionals/institutions which have served me fantastically and I live in a place where there may be more high-quality professionals/institutions than in any comparable size community. The access to quality care, easily ... has, understandably, moved its way up the list of important considerations for retirement. The four seasons of climate/weather are attractive to me, still, and if I tire of being here in the Winter months I can always rent a place in a warmer/dryer climate several months yearly. So when I think of places which I might like to retire to ... staying put in Chicago rises to the top of the list of possibilities.

But I'm an adventurous soul. I do a fair amount of international travel for pleasure. And I'd like to explore some more after I retire. I've thought about keeping a smaller apartment here in Chicago, maybe subletting it for a year at a time while I travel/live in a foreign country for a year ... every other year or so. I've also actively investigated purchasing a motorhome or travel trailer with which I could travel across the USA, Canada and Mexico ... staying put, say, one Winter in Florida, another in California or Arizona, one in Mexico and then, maybe, summers with a month stay in each place before moving on. When my health deteriorates or I tire of the moving about ... I would sell the MH or TT. I could spend 6 months on the road, 6 months at home. Whatever.

But I still continue to investigate brick and mortar retirement housing in Florida and Arizona as possibilities. I've always been like this ... developing a "Plan A", "Plan B," etc.

I've turned these things over and over in my mind. Some friends say I give too much thought to things, and that I just ought to toss the dart at a map on the wall and head for whichever name the dart strikes. Doing that works for some people. But not for me. I know, though, that I could make any situation work-out ... as long as a minimal number of things on my "must" list are met.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Ya know what? Its good that we all didn't pick the same place to retire! Imagine what would have happened to the home prices, etc...

Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Prior to retirement, I don't think I ever thought about an ideal place to retire. We simply wanted to return to our native state of Texas but certainly not to the increasingly crowded eastern side of the State where I grew up. My wife and I wanted a place that we felt was not likely to change much until we moved on. In order to do that, we knew the place had to be one that most Americans, and even most Texans, thought little of. Luckily my wife and I both had very fond memories of youthful times on the seldom-discussed, tornado-ridden, windy and dusty, sparsely populated and wide horizon-ed Texas South High Plains.

Our small South Plains farm is payed off, the cost of living here is some of the lowest in the country and the few people that are out here are very friendly. Perhaps we did find an ideal retirement location, at least for us. Then again, both my wife and I believe an old song we used to sing at our church as teenagers many years ago. It went: "This world is not my own; I'm just a passing through."

Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
For a couple of years I actively investigated potential retirement destinations/locations, if I chose to leave Chicago when I retire. There are so many places I know would make me happy. But for about the past 6 months my thinking has changed about retirement living. With any luck, I'll be able to retire at 66 ... in less than 2 years.

Chicago is my 'home town' so I know and understand it like the back of my hand. Though most of my relatives live in Canada or elsewhere in the USA, two of those I'm closest to live here in the Chicago area. I have family-like friends here, as well. And as I age I think of health care professionals/institutions which have served me fantastically and I live in a place where there may be more high-quality professionals/institutions than in any comparable size community. The access to quality care, easily ... has, understandably, moved its way up the list of important considerations for retirement. The four seasons of climate/weather are attractive to me, still, and if I tire of being here in the Winter months I can always rent a place in a warmer/dryer climate several months yearly. So when I think of places which I might like to retire to ... staying put in Chicago rises to the top of the list of possibilities.

But I'm an adventurous soul. I do a fair amount of international travel for pleasure. And I'd like to explore some more after I retire. I've thought about keeping a smaller apartment here in Chicago, maybe subletting it for a year at a time while I travel/live in a foreign country for a year ... every other year or so. I've also actively investigated purchasing a motorhome or travel trailer with which I could travel across the USA, Canada and Mexico ... staying put, say, one Winter in Florida, another in California or Arizona, one in Mexico and then, maybe, summers with a month stay in each place before moving on. When my health deteriorates or I tire of the moving about ... I would sell the MH or TT. I could spend 6 months on the road, 6 months at home. Whatever.

But I still continue to investigate brick and mortar retirement housing in Florida and Arizona as possibilities. I've always been like this ... developing a "Plan A", "Plan B," etc.

I've turned these things over and over in my mind. Some friends say I give too much thought to things, and that I just ought to toss the dart at a map on the wall and head for whichever name the dart strikes. Doing that works for some people. But not for me. I know, though, that I could make any situation work-out ... as long as a minimal number of things on my "must" list are met.

Ha! I get accused of "thinking too much" or "overthinking". It's what I do. I've made some poor decisions along the way, and those have been the result of acting too fast and NOT thinking things through. A relocation after retirement was the biggie. So, I sit down, mull things over. I mull until I'm ready to act. Then, I talk it over with my dog and get his opinion. He has things together really well. He has free healthcare, plenty of free food, warm place in the winter, cool in the summer, annual physical which is free, wears no clothing, has free 'pee-mail'. The works. I figure if the dog is bright enough to have it all, his opinion is worth listening to. I recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement