Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 AM

105,987 posts, read 107,954,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Posting this same ridiculous statement over and over doesn't make it any less ridiculous. It's still asinine.

I'm no longer dumbfounded at the financial illiteracy of some; but the vehemence of their defense of their illogical opinions still manages to surprise me at times.
the irony is it is cash instruments that are always the real risk. historically over any 30 year retirement period stocks are volatile but the risk of running out of money before you ran out of time was miniscule.

in fact a 50/50 mix of equities and bonds and cash ended up with more money left at the end of a 30 year plus retirement time frame than you started with 95% of the time going back to 1926. .

there are soooooo many 30 year periods where cash instruments left you broke well before your time ended and none left you with more. .

so for those who shy away from all risk you tell us what turned out time and time again to be the real risky bet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,272,211 times
Regarding these arguments, financial planning, financial planners, and using arithmetic to torture the future from the past: Cicero told the Roman Senate something like "It seem to me that one soothsayer shouldn't be able to look at another soothsayer without smiling."

Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 AM

There are things though that are pretty good bets like cash instruments failing to last as long as you do unless you draw very little from them.

That has turned out to be the case for so many including people i know that even vegas wouldn't offer that as a betting option.

Extended Periods of negative real returns on cash like now can kill even 2% withdrawals inflation adjusted in the long term.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:15 PM

37,281 posts, read 61,045,095 times
Quote:
Posting this same ridiculous statement over and over doesn't make it any less ridiculous. It's still asinine.

I'm no longer dumbfounded at the financial illiteracy of some; but the vehemence of their defense of their illogical opinions still manages to surprise me at times.
Some people are firmly against the stock market.

That does not make them asinine.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,355,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Anyone who is interested in this topic -- and open-minded -- really needs to read Ages of the Investor and Deep Risk by William Bernstein, who is neither misinformed nor uninformed.
I read it. Kind of scarry, but I haven't bought any gold. Have you?

[u]Posting this same ridiculous statement over and over doesn't make it any less ridiculous. It's still asinine.

I think ManMan earned his "handle" somehow by his gruff manners. His posts can often times be curt, angered and or hurtful.(As well as helpful too) Some may agree with his message, but believe their is a more tactful way to deliver it.

I think the point is, if you do not believe in the stock market, you should find another area of investment that has a chance of keeping up with inflation. Whether that is real estate, fine paintings and collectibles or whatever, as stagnant cash is lost cash. Isn't that what you meant to say MadMan?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

they can have those beliefs but that does not make them true. what is asinine is trying to get other people convinced you are right with a blanket statement when data and facts show otherwise..

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-15-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,392,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one thing you have to becareful of is the "LESS STRESSFUL JOB SYNDROM"

while we may have stressful high paying jobs and good benefits many times we trade that for jobs that are lower down on the food chain for less stress. .

only problem was now that you are low man on the totem pole the jobs may have less stress in one way but more stress and dislike in other ways.

my buddy couldn't wait to retire at half pay from his city job. so he did.

then he still needed to work because it wasn't enough and now has a low end job with low pay and no benefits and now that is stressing him even more.

he gets every crappy detail being low man and has to work holidays and crazy hours.

he now realizes if he still had to work he was better off before with the high pay ,seniority and good benefits.
Lots of truth to this. I had a friend that told me "the lower you are on the totem pole, the harder you have to work every single day." A lot of reason for this is it's often more grunt work and there is a grunt supervisor breathing down your shoulder.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 PM

13 posts, read 22,233 times
Default present age

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
It just occurred to me that my house will be paid off when I am 55 and I will also be eligible to take a reduced pension. I am thinking of working for the next 15 years in my present industry (I hate it) to sock as much money as I can in my 401k. I would get a lower paid less stressful job that would give me benefits. I could still save money for my future. Has anyone done this? If so, how is it working out for you?
how old are you now .. I retired at 52 ... 10 years ago ...wife retired 5 yrs. ago at 56. we were
fortunate to find work right out of college, and work for 30 yrs. for me and she worked 34 yrs.
Both had diff. jobs ... she with the state and i with the county

Old 12-19-2013, 04:00 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,937,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Making a personal decision not to invest in the stock market is one thing; making a financial recommendation to others advising them that they absolutely, positively, should never put one penny at risk (in the stock market or elsewhere) is quite another.

I stand by my previous statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I think MadMan earned his "handle" somehow by his gruff manners. His posts can often times be curt, angered and or hurtful.(As well as helpful too) Some may agree with his message, but believe their is a more tactful way to deliver it.
Yep, that's me.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 737 times
I retired at 55 (2000) and lost half my savings on 9/11 (have never regained that amount). I borrowed money to take my dreaming of trip since I was 30 at 62. Finally figured out that no one wanted to go with me and that if I didn't take it then I would never be able to. Drove (alone) across the Rockies at night in a blizzard at night (it is great when you have no idea what driving in snow it like thanks to my Forester and truckers I made it) Went south East to visit with my Sister (MIssouri) and in the process blew the catalytic converter ($1500 and two weeks off trip). Leaving there I headed North East to reverse followed the family immigration back to the East Coast from Salem to JamesTown, ran into a tornado in Williamsburg, that was fun - never drove in so much rain at one time. Made some side trips to Civil War Sites like Gettysburg and Andersonville (it was pretty much a big field with no monument). Headed to Tampa to visit friends, and then to Tennessee to visit another friend. Headed toward Hwy 80, but ended up in LaSalle Co. IL., to search for records on a Great-Grandfather. Moved on to Ottumwa, IA where I spend 3 days in a motel sick as a dog. When I left there I was afraid to visit with cousins in IA, I didn't want to give them whatever it was I had. Stopped in Nebraska and spent a couple days with friends and moved on when the weather turned ugly. I was chased by high winds and tornado warnings across the plains to the foot of the Rockies. By the time I hit Salt Lake City again, all I wanted was my own bed and pillows. Got up about 4:30 that last morning and headed toward Reno. Drove into another storm approaching Reno only to have to drive over the Donner Summit while it snowed and rained, but I made it home that evening.
It was a wonderful trip and since I now need hip replacement I'm grateful I finally did it.ver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement