U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,434,460 times

Advertisements

I moved OUT of the South because it was being overrun with those of a liberal mindset. There are enclaves of them everywhere, of course, but Northern liberals are retiring to the south at a prodigious rate. Watch moving to a 'retirement' area - the ordinances will hamstring you in your gardening fantasy.

We moved to the Great Plains. Of course, it is a zone 5, and where we live is lots more sand than the hardpack clay of SC. And lots and lots of snow. Which we love, but not everyone's cup of tea. And the people are VERY friendly - and VERY conservative. Hannnity and Beck and Limbaugh are liberal by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 AM

34,724 posts, read 33,765,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post
Iíve come to the conclusion that overall California is becoming a socially humanistic society and the only place left where God, family and country are still venerated is in the South. So I included the reference to Hannity and O' Reilly in my response to Marcian so she would understand that certain values were also an important part of my reason for leaving California and going to the Southeast
That and the lack of snow to shovel.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,101,109 times
Its been my experience that once moved most liberal tend to adopt the area they have moved in politcs;afterall they moved for a reasonmany of which is liberal cost.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM

1,985 posts, read 4,638,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I love my Tennessee town and I too am conservative. I moved here 6 weeks after I retired. This past weekend we had our town (pop. approx. 27,500) Christmas parade and it was wonderful and my first ever Christmas parade. Nothing splashy like you get in big cities and tourist towns, just regular folks with homemade floats, the US Army, fire trucks, decorated ATVs, tractors, motorcycles, and town utility truck, llamas, dogs, horses, various churches, disabled veterans, scouts, school marching band and dancers, community businesses, community charitable organizations, local politicians, police and Santa Claus. Paraders throw candy to kids as they pass by. Our community band will have its annual Christmas sing-along in two weeks, too, another first for me.

If anyone wants to see some photos from the parade they are here:

2007 Seasonal and Holiday TN Town Photos

But, I just want to say I'm pooped from being retired. I've only been here since mid-May and I've never been more on-the-go and mentally stimulated in my life. There is so much going on here (and I don't go to any of the big cities) that I want to do/try/see and I'm learning so much about about birds, plants, animals and Tennessee life. If it's outdoors, I just grab my camera and go and I have really interesting classes, too. This past semester I had a Homeland Security Research series of lectures, a Civil War lecture class, a photography class (with weekly photo-taking assignments) and was in a nonfiction book group. I went up a mountain to see and hear about the wind turbines, visited a culinary arts school, and got a backroads tour in East Tennessee. Next semester, if I'm lucky, I may get to go on a ride-along with the police and tour the national lab. I've also had a tour of the National Security complex, attended a WWII re-enactment and went to Tennessee Fall Homecoming at the Museum of Appalachia (best event ever, in my opinion). There's at least one town concert every month and usually more since we have an orchestra and a band. I've hardly had a chance to go fishing and I definitely want to see a Civil War re-enactment.

I don't need an alarm clock anymore but last week I had to buy a small pocket sized planner. Yikes...but I love it.
Nice post. What town are you in?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM

4,577 posts, read 7,079,434 times
Tennessee doesn't have any state tax, right? how are they on taxing pensions, social security?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 PM

8,241 posts, read 11,954,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Tennessee doesn't have any state (income) tax, right? how are they on taxing pensions, social security?
Given that the answer to your first question is yes, your second question is moot.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,079,434 times
oh, yeah

Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM

283 posts, read 784,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Given that the answer to your first question is yes, your second question is moot.
Actually, no, it isn't moot. TN taxes certain investment income. I don't have that kind of investment income, so I don't know the details, but you might want to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement