Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:10 PM

241 posts, read 272,611 times

Advertisements

As we are getting ready for retirement/snow birding we are thinking of purging some Christmas stuff. We have gotten carried away. We usually do 3 full size trees and various other trees. We have 9 full size tubs of stuff.

We have not done the full decorating i a couple of years, but this year is the full monty, to see what we have.
We start right after Halloween and are just about done. It is both fun and tiresome at the same time.

It looks cools (some say it looks like a Christmas shop. The plan is to only pack up the stuff we really like and donate the rest to family or pitch. We will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Our Christmas decorations consist of a red bow and a couple of glass balls that we got at the Dollar Store.

We mount this on a couple of hemlock branches that have been blown down and mount the thing on the fence.

This is the fifth year of using that bow and bulb, so this Christmas has cost us about twenty cents.

We plan to spend more when the chocolate cherry candy goes on sale at the hardware store.

We will probably get two at $1.50 each.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Outside multi-color lights are on the porch, around the pillars and there are 3 lighted Christmas boxes on the steps in graduated sizes. I got out my old runner sled and tipped it up in the corner of the porch near the door with a large red bow. The inside tree goes up tomorrow. I hate to have it up too early. Neighbors put their tree up before Thanksgiving and too me that dilutes the specialness of the season. Also cards will get made out this weekend. As for shopping - who knows when that will be completed.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:11 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
All my presents are bought and wrapped, those that need mailing have been mailed. I bought the ingredients I need for baking, tree has been up for a week, scaled down outside decos are up and on, and now I plunk myself down on the couch.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
As stated upstream, all the decoration and prep is done and I enjoyed it. There has been a little bump in my well made plans though, a very tiny bump.

I walked the dog near an overgrown, jungly lot the other morning and heard what I thought was a catbird. DH came home at the end of his day, walked the dog in the same area. He thought he heard a kitten crying and in distress. Oh-oh! We left the dog home to investigate further. DH had a hoe with him, he could have used a machete, and bravely made his way to the source of meowing. Out came a kitten to meet him, no other kittens or mama cat.

We got home from the vet today and what we have is an under-nourished 3-4 week kitten who needs much warmth and food. He/she is so tiny and will need much love and care to make it. We full well knew what the consequences would be when we decided to go look. We were already on a slippery slope with our cat ownership and now it's official that we have slid further.

Our Christmas present to each other came earlier and as a total surprise to both of us.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
As stated upstream, all the decoration and prep is done and I enjoyed it. There has been a little bump in my well made plans though, a very tiny bump.

I walked the dog near an overgrown, jungly lot the other morning and heard what I thought was a catbird. DH came home at the end of his day, walked the dog in the same area. He thought he heard a kitten crying and in distress. Oh-oh! We left the dog home to investigate further. DH had a hoe with him, he could have used a machete, and bravely made his way to the source of meowing. Out came a kitten to meet him, no other kittens no mama cat.

We got home from the vet today and what we have is an under-nourished 3-4 week kitten who needs much warmth and food. He/she is so tiny and will need much love and care to make it. We full well knew what we were doing when we decided to go look. We were already on a slippery slope with our cat ownership and now it's official that we have slid further.

Our Christmas present to each other came earlier and as a total surprise to both of us.
Best story of all! You are the Christmas miracle for this poor little kitty.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

I walked the dog near an overgrown, jungly lot the other morning and heard what I thought was a catbird. DH came home at the end of his day, walked the dog in the same area. He thought he heard a kitten crying and in distress. Oh-oh! We left the dog home to investigate further. DH had a hoe with him, he could have used a machete, and bravely made his way to the source of meowing. Out came a kitten to meet him, no other kittens or mama cat.

We got home from the vet today and what we have is an under-nourished 3-4 week kitten who needs much warmth and food. He/she is so tiny and will need much love and care to make it. We full well knew what the consequences would be when we decided to go look. We were already on a slippery slope with our cat ownership and now it's official that we have slid further.

That is so sweet. I hope a baby that young can grow up to be normal, having been separated from its mother so soon. But if anyone can do it, it's you--and the vet. Do you have a Christmas name for him?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Very thankfully, absolutely nothing. As an atheist with no close family, the holiday season is non-existent and it is a HUGE relief.
ditto

But I am watching all the Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel

Old 12-14-2013, 05:20 AM

241 posts, read 272,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
ditto

But I am watching all the Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel
We are too for the first time. Many we have not seen before.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
We went skiing today with 400 (!) fully costumed santas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement