U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:06 PM

421 posts, read 660,030 times

Advertisements

During the retirement years is it easy to reconnect with close friends once had back in high school and young adult years? For example, a very first friend with whom you shared an apartment, had a great times together before life took y'all in distant directions. Sure the two may not have much in common now, but back then were inseparable - lots of memories to revisit.

Facebook makes reconnecting easy, but wondering if it's worth doing. Does it end up being one or two messages and then not much contact ever after. Or did the friendship pick up again online? Share your experiences in reconnecting with friends from long ago in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
I attended a very exclusive high school - it was so exclusive you had to be sent there by a judge. Somehow I don't think I want to reconnect with any of those people!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,811,113 times
I've seen it work both ways.

When I retired I contacted a few guys I had known long ago, and we exchanged some e-mails concerning how life had turned out for us. It pretty much just stayed at that point, we live far distances from each other and have our own circles of family and friends.

My dad retired to Florida over 20 years ago, and was contacted by some guys in a fraternity he belonged to when he was a teenager. He reunited with them, and over the past 20 years they have get together's every year, and some personal friendships developed again too. He became good friends again with two of the guys, and they've seen each other 100's of times the past 20 years, though it helps that they all live in Florida.

So, I've seen it work both ways.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM

526 posts, read 741,748 times
got reconnected with my friend (met in grade school) due to names being listed for our 40th HS reunion. Life changes separated us, but we ended up living very similar lives a couple hours apart. We text constantly & see each other several times a year. Another friend found us via Facebook. She also ended up in "the vicinity" & see her yearly (she leads a different life). A couple other old friends have contacted me, but we remain only online friends.
I wasn't "scared" of re-meeting the two women I see since we grew up together & were never competitive (looks, acquisitions, etc)

Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
I have reconnected to many old friends thru facebook but find that a lot of times it ends up just reading each other's updates on facebook. I really don't want a penpal anyway so the update thing works for me. One sad note, at this age, early sixties, I've had 5 facebook friends die after I found them.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 AM

8,969 posts, read 7,745,489 times
I live 1000 miles from where I was brought up. I also left there when I was 18 so I really do not have any deep connections there. From my moving around the country, I learned out of sight is out of mind so I just made new friends where I moved to. The friendships are more social so not as deep like life long friends might have but that is the way it was and I have no regrets.

I am happy with my life and social friends so I do not go looking to my past to fill any voids.

Last edited by johngolf; 12-12-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,271,674 times
I find it's hard to reconnect. I've found old friends on Facebook that I have not been in contact with for 30 to 40 years and they accept my friend request but that's as far as it goes. I did find one and we met for lunch but it wasn't the same. We got together once after that but that was it. (she just happened to live within 20 miles of me. I hadn't seen her in 25 years and she was married & divorced with 2 grown children. She wasn't the person I once knew. Sounds weird, but that's the way I felt. Sad but true.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
I attended one highschool reunion. But I did not remember any of the other people who were there. None of them remembered me either.

They had a neat idea, that was using our senior year photo as a name tag. The problem was that for our senior year, there was a high percentage of students who the yearbook committee did not include the photos of. The back of the yearbook had a four column list of names of students not included. My photo was never included in any of our yearbooks, at the reunion it was very clear who the 'in' kids were.

Since then a group of people from our class have formed a Facebook group. Mostly folks who were not among the 'in' group. I am amazed by how many of them stayed in our hometown. Their children went to the same schools, etc.

I have re-connected with two of the girls that I dated in High school. It is interesting how our lives took us in different directions. They both went into career fields that we would have never guessed when we were teens.

Using Facebook, I have been able to re-connect with a bunch of former crew from each of the subs that I served onboard. That has been nice. Most of them only served for one enlistment. I find it interesting how the submarine culture changed from the crews of the 70s, to the crews of the 80s, and the crews of the 90s.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Submariner,

Your story reminded me of a story that a naval officer told me when I was in Florida.

He was in charge of his class's 25th reunion. Using old records and the internet, he was able to locate nearly all 150 classmates, even those you had been "lost" for years.

The last person he got ahold of really thanked him for the call. That man asked him NOT to put his name on the list. He told my friend that high school was the worst time of his life and that he was really not interested in reliving it.

=========================

I see none of my old friends as I live 350 miles from the town that I was raised in. I have perhaps a half dozen friends who I do keep in contact with

Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
During the retirement years is it easy to reconnect with close friends once had back in high school and young adult years? For example, a very first friend with whom you shared an apartment, had a great times together before life took y'all in distant directions. Sure the two may not have much in common now, but back then were inseparable - lots of memories to revisit.

Facebook makes reconnecting easy, but wondering if it's worth doing. Does it end up being one or two messages and then not much contact ever after. Or did the friendship pick up again online? Share your experiences in reconnecting with friends from long ago in your life.
That really depends on the two people really. Facebook by its type of connection does not mean the same type of association that being in say high school contact daily does in most cases. Normally facebook is more like the group you hung out with in high school not the daily individual close relationship from what I have seen. One thing is for sure you don't know until you try reconnecting facebook or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or