Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 12:10 PM
mlb mlb started this thread

4,971 posts, read 4,449,272 times

Advertisements

I recently went home to see my 93 year old mom..... My oldest sister - 70 in a couple of days - retired at 67. She stayed "late" as she said - to increase her portfolio that was smashed in the recession. She expects to live until her 90's as well. She was a public health nurse and left before Gov. Walker did any damage to her pension.

Older brother wants to continue on - as long as he can. He is 63. He is also a cancer survivor and I think he's worried if he has a relapse - what he'd be looking at in terms of healthcare coverage. He works IT for a state hospital. His wife is in her early 50's.

3 other siblings are not working.... one volunteers (she has epilepsy and is supported by her husband) - another never worked after having kids.... and I have a brother who left the country - for Brazil - and a cheaper way of life. He volunteers in his community.

Youngest sister is 53 and supports a husband who is 13 years her senior. She will work until Social Security and her pension kicks in.

I'm only influenced in that I, too, want to get the most dollar I can. I am thinking 65 or 66 when SS and Medicare kick in. I also think I will live into my 90's. But I also want a healthy, enjoyable retirement - not one stuck to a job.

You?

Last edited by mlb; 12-22-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I'm second of 9, and while I will likely work to 67 will probably be the first to retire. The oldest has no retirement other than SS and is barely managing on part time work until he qualifies for SS. Only myself and 3 others will have an actual pension.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:19 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
I am the youngest and I started to say no, then I remembered my sister kept working until after she was getting SS and then died shortly after she retired. One brother died in his late 50's of cancer and so did my Dad. I planned to have a second career as my sister did, but found I like being retired. Who knows why I retired. I think it was just time.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
No, there circumstances were different

Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
My sister's bad decisions over time have led to her being in tough shape financially at 63. I assume if she formally retires (she works part-time and does side jobs) it will be a financial decision, such as full Soc. Sec. age. We have never had much in common, and while I've made my share of bad decisions in terms of their financial effect, whatever my sister does has not had much effect on me.

There are only the two of us, which makes estrangement an either-or proposition. But I've never liked or trusted her and that hasn't changed over the years, only got more so. Hard to imagine having multiple siblings and look forward to hearing how this has affected other people who'd do.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:54 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
My brother (age 67, a lawyer, and the youngest of 3) and his wife (real estate sales) did the best of us all in their middle (earning) years, but they got hurt in some investments/business deals. They are not struggling but they are still working to recover. I expect they will recover but not to the worth they once had. They pretty well make their own schedules and retirement does not cross their minds.

My sister (age 69, middle of we 3, secretary) and her husband retired. Her husband (12 years older then her) owned an industrial laundry business where they played the game (her as an employee, retirement fund, etc, and she rarely set foot in the place. She worked part time as a secretary in a real estate office. He sold the business some 15 years ago and they both retired. Her at 54 and him at 66. They owe nothing and they live comfortably.

Myself (age 72) and my wife retired at age 62. She was an upper level state employee and the state cut her a sweat heart early retirement deal. I had been in high tech sales and later owned my own business. Knowing I would never get a company retirement, I invested any extra money in stocks and mutual funds. We owed nothing at the time and still owe nothing. We live comfortably. No need to touch our investments yet and not in the foreseeable future.

My wife's side.

Her brother (age 68) was a musician and stayed on the road most of his adult life. He invested most all he made. Later in life he married a photographer. She makes a small income as a photographer. They live within their means. Less comfortable then us, but a good life.

Her sister (age 70, book keeper) married a guy (optician) and they spent it as fast as they made it. One time they lived very high but then they hit bottom after a very risky business (race horses) crashed. At age 70, she just retired. They have no investments and are living off of their combined SS. They have no debt other then a mortgage so they get by. The survivor will be hurting but they always lived on the edge.

Overall, we are fortunate. We have no one in dire straits. All are holding their own. Some better then others. Our parents were working people who taught us if we wanted it, we had to earn it. I believe this to be our solid base.

Most valuable lesson I learned is it is not how much you earn, it is how much you spend. Early on we spent it all. At about age 40-45 we decided not to spend it all......LOL

Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
No; my father retired at age 62 after 48 years with same company which was early then. I always planned to retire young enough to actually be more able to do things I wanted. Retired at age 52 altho set goal at 55.Oh;he had to quit school to go to work to help support family.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:10 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,046 times
My father retired at 87 (now 96) both older sisters work (61 and 65), I retired at 33 (1 month shy of 34) so I guess I was not influenced by anyone and nobody was influenced by me.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
The longer you work, the longer you live. It keeps you sharp.

I'm very fortunate to work in a career where it is easy/common to work part time in the golden years. i can do it from a wheelchair. I think blindness would be the only thing that could really deter me. Even if I retire, I can volunteer indefinitely. I intend to do this until I drop dead!

I have two coworkers who officially retired but are now working 20 hours per week in the library, at age 71. They are a wealth of knowledge and we treasure their experience.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I had one of those jobs and watched people who stayed and did not exercise die in place. After stints in mid 40's and stroke. Sitting at work is no different than sitting at home really.Look around what lack of physical work has meant even in blue collar workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement