Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
Ebby Halliday? (My guess, having grown up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.)
Yes, one of the original women who started their own businesses after the War. Quite a lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
Oh my!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:59 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
I work for a large public teaching hospital.

One woman is 70 and works as a health info tech. She went back to school after a divorce and has been with the hospital for 25 years with no plans to retired, as of yet. She remarried and he has health issues so that may be one reason she continues to work.

Another woman, also a health info tech, went back to school at 53 after being on disability from a prior unrelated job and got bored staying at home. She has 9 years at the hospital and is waiting to retire at 70, having school loans to pay off, including two dead beat kids and grandchildren living with her. In addition to another part time job. It is all about money and keeping her head above water ...

Another woman, age 68 will probably retire from the hospital soon due to layoffs ... she says she needs the money, but I know she also enjoys the people interaction and her job. She'll be looking for a part time job, probably in retail when she leaves the hospital.

Last edited by smpliving; 01-05-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
know quite a few who quit their jos at 55-60 and started their own business consulting and such.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM

698 posts, read 959,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Anyone able to direct me to actual statistics? What I am looking for is the actual percentage of people age who are between 62-65 years old that are working full time. Because my goal is to work full time until I am sixty five then retire.
Google it!

If the percentage is low right now, I'd bet money that will change in the near future.

I certainly don't see myself retiring that young, unfortunately I will probably work until I die, as will many I know who are currently in their early 50's. It's actually a depressing thought, I don't want to HAVE to work to survive, I'd prefer to choose to work to keep my mind active or another reason other than pure survival.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
In the past two weeks, I have learned of the recent deaths of three of my former friends. Ages 61, 68, and 69. The 68 year old was not only my friend but my former cardiologist, as well. In addition, my 64 year old brother probably only has a few years left. I'm starting to rethink my plans in terms of early retirement.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
In the past two weeks, I have learned of the recent deaths of three of my former friends. ... I'm starting to rethink my plans in terms of early retirement.
My motto... Retire early, retire often.

My dad checked out of 'work' at age 49 (Disabled, who I ended up caring for next 32 yrs... taught me a few things about 'planning' for the 'good times' in the future) (retirement / travel / enjoyable homes / activities / adventure / time with family...))

You can probably get by on less than you think, you may end up working again, anyway, due to MANY unforeseen changes (Sick spouse, healthcare needs, supporting your disabled / injured adult kids or grand-kids / nieces / neighbors / needy...) Or your property taxes (and healthcare costs) might increase 1000% ATFER retirement due to over-aggressive Gov planners (?) .

I was able to spend much of my 'work' years with my kids while they were at home (I worked nights while they slept and cut back to a single (ez) job, rather 2-3 jobs, and started a small farm business at home).

Home schooling and living internationally was well worth it (it was not cheap, nor 'leading to retirement' / wealth.

I suggest trying retirement for awhile and keeping your eyes out for something you might enjoy or see value in learning / doing for others.

With current $500k / $250k tax free gain every 24 months on your primary home ... there is little reason to 'work', if you have skills at 'buying right'.

There are many ways to pull off retirement, as well as enjoyable and varied 'work' after age 65.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times
I am 59 and work in an academic setting. Many of the tenured professors here are over 60 and a few really should consider retirement. This is one setting which it might not be too difficult to find an administrative or specialized position at an older age - if your skills are up to current standards.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
There is age discrimination for sure. But there are things we can do to try to skirt around it by presenting ourselves in a way to avoid a stereotype. Think of Marie Osmond. Does she look over the hill to you? She's 60, I think.
Correction: Marie Osmond is 54.

Marie Osmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
I'm impressed. To the original poster: I hate to even think about it but I'm pretty certain I will be working fulltime into my 70's, Only if my mind stays sharp enough to make that happen. So many people I know will not be able to afford to retire so will work as long as they physically can.
But as you allude to, job discrimination is real. It's not realistic to expect that you'll work full time into your 70s. Most people get booted from full time employment in their 50s. Why not save for retirement so that you don't have to work until you're 70?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement