Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the posts on spousal SS benefits. I think I understand it, but have a question.

If I am 2.5 yrs younger than my spouse and he will get about double what I would get if we both reach FRA. So, if I take early beneftis (say, age 63.5 and he is FRA 66). He can file for spousal benefits whether or not he is still working and put off filing his own. Then at age 70 he files his own and receives his highest amt. Question: what about me?? Do I always collect my lower amt? Or half of his when he reaches 70? Or half of what his would be when I turn 63.5 when I first file? That's where I am confused. Does he file and suspend at FRA and mine goes up?

Thanking you in advance for trying to help me understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I have been reading all the posts on spousal SS benefits. I think I understand it, but have a question.

If I am 2.5 yrs younger than my spouse and he will get about double what I would get if we both reach FRA. So, if I take early beneftis (say, age 63.5 and he is FRA 66). He can file for spousal benefits whether or not he is still working and put off filing his own. Then at age 70 he files his own and receives his highest amt. Question: what about me?? Do I always collect my lower amt? Or half of his when he reaches 70? Or half of what his would be when I turn 63.5 when I first file? That's where I am confused. Does he file and suspend at FRA and mine goes up?

You file early and you will get a reduced benefit of your own and reduced spousal. If he passes. After 70 you will get his full benefit as a survivor. My wife will never take spousal as her reduced benefit is greater than half my age 70 benefit. Doing what you are discussing should include some number crunching with different scenarios. Other considerations to influence you could be pensions, investments etc.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times
Thank you for the explanation. At FRA my benefit is the same as taking 1/2 of my husbands. I have crunched the numbers various ways. After your recent post stating that I can file and he can get half of mine while letting his grow to age 70 it sounded a bit confusing. We do not have pensions, but are saving and investing to ensure we won't run out of money. Most of the time FireCalc likes me!! It's a few times that it doesn't that concerns me!

Old 01-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. At FRA my benefit is the same as taking 1/2 of my husbands. I have crunched the numbers various ways. After your recent post stating that I can file and he can get half of mine while letting his grow to age 70 it sounded a bit confusing. We do not have pensions, but are saving and investing to ensure we won't run out of money. Most of the time FireCalc likes me!! It's a few times that it doesn't that concerns me!
Your mere mention of FireCalc is music to a lot of folks ears. Best of luck and crunch away.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
aaaahhhhh firecalc

Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
aaaahhhhh firecalc
I knew this would get you stimulated. Does Margaret whisper sweet FireCalcs in your ear?

Old 01-04-2014, 05:34 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You file early and you will get a reduced benefit of your own and reduced spousal. If he passes. After 70 you will get his full benefit as a survivor. My wife will never take spousal as her reduced benefit is greater than half my age 70 benefit. Doing what you are discussing should include some number crunching with different scenarios. Other considerations to influence you could be pensions, investments etc.
She doesnt have to be 70 to get full survivor benefits, she just has to be full retirement age, probably 65 or 66.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
She doesnt have to be 70 to get full survivor benefits, she just has to be full retirement age, probably 65 or 66.
After his age 70 if he passes and took at 70 she gets his age 70 benefit

Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:

If you take early benefits, your retirement benefit will be reduced for the remainder of your life. However, if you decide you would like to earn an additional 8% per year on the reduced benefit, you can suspend your benefits at age 66 and let your benefit grow.

If 50% of his PIA is equal to your PIA, I see no reason for your husband to "file and suspend".
Once you have filed for benefits, your husband can file a restricted application for spousal benefits when he reaches FRA and allow his benefits to grow (by earning delayed credits) until age 70. Note that HIS retirement benefit will grow after age 66, not YOURS. This is true even if you decide to wait and file for spousal benefits at age FRA. Thus, the maximum spousal benefit remains at 50% of the wage earners primary insurance amount (FRA amount) as no delayed credits are awarded. However, should your husband die, you will receive survivor's benefits that include the delayed credits.

Here's another link to help you understand: Kiplinger - Interstitial
(My mind is a little fuzzy this evening, so if I provided a link that has already been posted, I apologize.)

Note: If there is ANY chance a married couple might divorce, the lower earning spouse should NOT take reduced benefits.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:56 AM

41 posts, read 58,991 times
Quote:
If Firecalc doesn't like you for a couple of individual lines, you should try something like Crowdsourced Financial Independence and Early Retirement Simulator/Calculator, which can model variable spending patterns instead of a fixed amount of spending. It runs just like Firecalc (same data), but has various other options to choose from.

For instance, if you're willing to cut back on expenses when the market drops during retirement (like a lot of folks do anyways, jusdt by nature), then you go to the "Basic Inputs" section, and choose from the "Adjust Spending" menu. If you choose "Variable Spending", you can set a floor and a ceiling for your spending (the lowest or highest you'd ever take out of your portfolio). This way, you can tell the simulator "Hey, if the market starts to tank, we'd be willing to cut back to $35,000 spending... but we'd like to go as high as $55,000 when the market is good".

This can give a more accurate picture of success, in my opinion. (Also, if you spend any amount of time on the site above, I suggest registering and logging in. It lets you save your complicated scenarios for later).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement