Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times

Advertisements

For those that didn't read the link for the cars that drive themselves, they expect them to be available at the end of this decade costing $10,000 more than regular cars (and that ain't bad ) and it is known carmakers pursuing them like VW, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Toyota and Ford. They say the price will come down as they become commonplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,791,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I love my car. I love to drive. My driving record shows me to be a safe driver. That said, I truly believe people shouldn't be driving once reach their 80s. I know what all the seniors say, "I only drive during the day and I only drive close to home." So it's better to collide with someone you're likely to know?

Reputable studies show that drivers age 75-84 have a rate of three deaths per 100 million miles driven, equal to the death rate for teenage drivers. For drivers 85 and older, the death rate is almost four times that. The causes are impossible to avoid. We all experience deterioration in our vision and hearing, decreased reaction times, issues with our mobility as we age. All of those effect the ability to drive competently. Many seniors take medications that can interfere with quick decision-making. Many seniors neglect the care that keeps their cars in tip-top condition. Those facts are indisputable and one's ability to decide that we are the exception to the rule is shaky, at best.

It's terrible that we Americans live in a society that is so automobile-dependent. It's understandable that seniors feel like their lives have ended when they lose their driving privileges. I've watched many of my relatives fight to keep on the highway long after they've been told they're not driving safely. That's why I plan to get myself in a situation in my senior years where I will have access to public transportation. Another option is moving to an "active adult" community where there is van service available for those who don't drive. I'm in the suburban house I'm in now because I'm taking care of my disabled mother. But when she is no longer with me, I will sell this place. My first priority in finding a new home will be the availability for transportation when I no longer drive. Because I don't have any children to chauffeur me around the way I drive my mother places almost daily.

I applaud anyone and everyone who is making plans IN ADVANCE for when they have to forfeit their keys. None of us is invincible.

Older, dangerous drivers a growing problem - USATODAY.com
Good post! This will be an issue for most of us at some point in time. A Doctor told my Dad in Oct. 2012, that he should NOT drive anymore. While he didn't really express any feelings about it, I think it hurt my dad to feel like he is losing his independence. I now do all the driving in the family, as well as am caregiver for my parents.

There have been previous threads on this issue of driving at older ages, adult children taking away the keys, etc. There are many stories out there and they are worth reading. I hope when the time comes for me to give up driving, that I'll be able to still function and not feel like life is over.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 AM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For those that didn't read the link for the cars that drive themselves, they expect them to be available at the end of this decade costing $10,000 more than regular cars (and that ain't bad ) and it is known carmakers pursuing them like VW, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Toyota and Ford. They say the price will come down as they become commonplace.
For those, like myself, that are going to retire with only $1150 a month (subtract $105 for Medicare) that doesn't allow for any car repair shop "shocks" to my monthly budget.

And as cars go more high tech, the repairs costs will only escalate. I can only imagine what it would cost to repair one of these self-driving cars when the time comes!!! Better have your blood pressure cuff with you when they give you a quote!!

I had to force myself to take my first bus ride to work the first time, after nearly 30+ years without being on a public bus, and I now look forward to it like taking an airplane ride. I've come to love it! Many opportunities to meet people at the bus stops, or on the bus, and Las Vegas has finally added 2-level buses to their stock, and what a nice treat that is! I no more than sit down, and out comes a book or magazine, and if the bus gets me to work too soon, I get angry I didn't have the time to finish a particular article!

Now! If I had been forced to take the bus, like the DMV telling me my driving days are over, and being I'm doing this voluntarily, I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much! So my advice is to not wait for Hobson's Choice to arrive, but to get "a taste of the future" when you feel like it. Ain't gonna kill anyone to jump on a city bus some day for any sample run!

I met an elderly senior woman at a bus stop, a couple weeks ago, recently moved from NC, and her children don't want her driving, they buy her monthly bus passes, and with her monthly bus pass she's having a ball, just scooting around the Valley by bus.

Last edited by tijlover; 01-07-2014 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For those, like myself, that are going to retire with only $1150 a month (subtract $105 for Medicare) that doesn't allow for any car repair shop "shocks" to my monthly budget.

And as cars go more high tech, the repairs costs will only escalate. I can only imagine what it would cost to repair one of these self-driving cars when the time comes!!! Better have your blood pressure cuff with you when they give you a quote!!

I had to force myself to take my first bus ride to work the first time, after nearly 30+ years without being on a public bus, and I now look forward to it like taking an airplane ride. I've come to love it! Many opportunities to meet people at the bus stops, or on the bus, and Las Vegas has finally added 2-level buses to their stock, and what a nice treat that is! I no more than sit down, and out comes a book or magazine, and if the bus gets me to work too soon, I get angry I didn't have the time to finish a particular article!

Now! If I had been forced to take the bus, like the DMV telling me my driving days are over, and being I'm doing this voluntarily, I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much! So my advice is to not wait for Hobson's Choice to arrive, but to get "a taste of the future" when you feel like it. Ain't gonna kill anyone to jump on a city bus some day for any sample run!

I met an elderly senior woman at a bus stop, a couple weeks ago, recently moved from NC, and her children don't want her driving, they buy her monthly bus passes, and with her monthly bus pass she's having a ball, just scooting around the Valley by bus.
You assume there is public transportation where we live and that we are able to actually get on a bus with their high steps. Public transportation wouldn't take me where I would want to go.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM

460 posts, read 986,021 times
Quote:
You assume there is public transportation where we live and that we are able to actually get on a bus with their high steps. Public transportation wouldn't take me where I would want to go.
This.

Without a car, I'd have to sit in my house and order pizza every night. That, or call a cab every time I wanted to go somewhere. I don't know of any public transportation where I live.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,656,452 times
I won't make assumptions about what is available in your area, but my friend was surprised when I listed some of the resources in our small town. One of my favorites is the $4 taxi which will take you anywhere in town. You can get the number of an individual who drives and be assured of a clean, comfortable ride. We have limited bus service, but there are at least two other choices for seniors.

My neighbor kept her car and I used to drive her to appointments, grocery shopping, etc. I no longer feel comfortable doing this but it worked well for a couple of years.

I wish I lived near a grocery, but since I do the bulk of my shopping on senior day, I should be able to figure it out. I have considered moving closer to the downtown area when I no longer drive. Walking to the farmer's mkt every morning would be a pleasant enterprise.

It will be harder for those of you who live in rural areas, and for those of you who feel like giving up driving is a line you're not prepared to cross.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 AM

99,251 posts, read 4,477,566 times
Quote:
Car = Freedom

When I can no longer drive, I'd rather be dead. Driving has always meant freedom to me and I'm not living in some city, just because I can't drive because I don't even like visiting cities.

Now those cars that drive themselves...that's interesting and something I might look into.
Seriously???

There's much more to life than being able to drive.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,869,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Seriously???

There's much more to life than being able to drive.
That statement misses the point. Being able to drive gives us access to so many of the "more to life" things. So it isn't the joy of driving per se that is so important but the freedom it confers to access such a wide variety of events, activities, and human contacts.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,672,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
This.

Without a car, I'd have to sit in my house and order pizza every night. That, or call a cab every time I wanted to go somewhere. I don't know of any public transportation where I live.
No shoes? No bike?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM

306 posts, read 415,311 times
I don't see it as giving up my freedom at all, if anything I see it as freeing up income for other things. For those few times I may need a car I can rent or get a taxi. The walking that goes with riding the bus becomes my daily exercise so no gym expense. We don't have week-end service but that's fine with me, let the working folks have those days in the stores. I currently have Monday off and I can say the stores are MUCH nicer to shop then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement