Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,432 times

Advertisements

If these teens or homeless people, they would have been removed.

Quite frankly I am tired of anyone over 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post

According to the article the police did remove them, several times. But they keep returning.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
Quote:

Of course not everyone over 65 is hanging out all day at McD's, and not everyone over 65 is inconsiderate and self-centered, but nonetheless I can relate to and sympathize with your sentiment, even though I am 69!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:14 PM

503 posts, read 1,203,653 times
The actions of these seniors hurts other people. Imagine someone buying a meal can't find a table to sit at when these seniors are sitting there hour after hour and spending pennies. Its not right.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,556,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A McDonald's in Queens, New York has become the contentious scene between some elderly patrons and management who says the group is driving away business.

According to the New York Times, many of them -- mostly Korean locals from the neighborhood -- arrive as early as 5 a.m. at the restaurant and often stay until after dark. They show up, some of whom use walkers, canes or wheelchairs, after eating a free lunch at a nearby senior center, and then split a small pack of french fries to count as paying customers.

NYC McDonald's battles with group of elderly who want to sit there all day | Fox News
The McDonald's employees should find out where the family businesses are located and start clogging those places up.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Don't blame Fox. This news story came from the New York Times.
Thank you. Reminds me of the mud slinging after the shooting of the lady lawmaker in Denver ? or Arizona ? . I can't remember which one, no disrespect meant. But, people jumped on the bandwagon that he had to be a RWNJ and it turned out he was affiliated with liberals.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 PM

25,575 posts, read 56,451,817 times
So, if they're so bound and determined to socialize, why don't they take turns in each other's places of residence. Or, are each of these people living in one room, or with relatives?

Quote:
I don't know what to make of this, I don't envy them seems like a very useless, boring life. But I would not care if I saw a table full of seniors.

I wonder they must buy food and drinks, considering anyone who sits at one place from 5 in the morning to night must become hungry and thirsty?
I would care if I were a regular paying customer - not just coffee - of McD's. Especially if all the best tables were taken all the time. Seniors don't spend much, anyway. You can bet that group sure doesn't.

Clearly clueless that McD's is a for-profit business, possibly owned by an individual franchisee with a big capital investment. What's a McD's franchise going for these days - $1 mil???
Quote:
magine that you're opening your own McDonald's. To do this, you have to buy a McDonald's franchise. In order to qualify for a conventional franchise, you have to have $250,000 (not borrowed).

Your total costs
to open the restaurant, however, will be anywhere from $685,750 to $1,504,000, which goes to paying for the building, equipment, etc. Forty percent of this cost has to be from your own (non-borrowed) funds.

You'll pay an initial franchise fee of $45,000 directly to McDonald's. The other costs go to suppliers, so this is the only upfront fee you pay to McDonald's.

More, here:

HowStuffWorks "How Franchising Works"
McD's is not the place for them. If I owned that business, I'd have lost patience long ago. Taking advantage is putting it mildly.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wow, when you read this presented from an aging perspective it gives you food for thought. Not siding with anyone but it is something to think about.
Elderly Koreans in NY Have Nowhere to Go - New America Media

Problem: In spite of the bad treatment and humiliation, the reason why the elderly Koreans keep going to McDonald’s is that they don’t have enough places to rest and talk freely. Some older Korean people are unwilling to go to the senior centers in Flushing since they have a sense of isolation in the centers and feel an invisible barrier to entering the centers.
And I guess we are made to feel sorry again. It is a place of business.....and they are not an elder sitting service. I find it very disrespectful that they return after being evicted. That smacks of arrogance.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
...I find it very disrespectful that they return after being evicted. That smacks of arrogance.
arrogance. in NYC Surely not!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
From the little bit I can see in the picture, I'd guess the place has good feng shui: a corner location with lots of natural light and the banquette benches face the entrance and windows. Lots of things to watch out those windows.
I'd sure rather sit there than in a basement at some senior center.

One of my fondest memories of my European adventure was walking into ordinary street cafés and seeing small clusters of old people sitting at tables sipping and chatting/gossiping. Saw this also at McDonalds in Florence, Italy where a small bunch of male retirees leisurely enjoying their morning attempted (in opposing views) to give us directions to our destination. Probably the same all over the world. You see young people in cafés all over the world (including BN) with their laptops for hours on end; no one tries to shoo them away. Why target elders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement