Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:22 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times

Advertisements

I signed up for Medicare A + B before turning 65, but waited until I was about to turn 66 to sign up for SS. I went on SS on DH's record to have the higher amount. A bit later, Medicare sent me a replacement Medicare card with DH's SS# on it...before that my original card had my own SS#. Somehow, nobody had explained that detail to me! Since I already had ChampVA medical coverage, it had became my secondary payer after Medicare. Happily, I didn't need to worry about getting any other policy.

Last edited by Lee W.; 01-22-2014 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsgoldjerry View Post
So, I turn 65 on Feb 10. I work full time and have health insurance through my employer. I want to start getting SS and Medicare (A and B) and retire ASAP. I know now I'm supposed to sign up three months before I turn 65, but it's too late for that. The Medicare site says that my coverage will start the first day of the month of my birthday if I sign up the month before. But since I'm signing up for SS at the same time (which says allow three months), will it delay the start of my Medicare, or will they start at different times? And how soon will I know after signing up on the website? Thanks.
Looks like you already have the answer. I just wanted to say that we have never been insured as well as we are now under Medicare and the Medigap (Supplemental) plan.

As far as I know all Medigap plans are about the same, so cheapest is best.
Be SURE, if there is any chance at all you will be traveling outside the US, to buy the Medigap plan that pays if you have a medical problem overseas. It will cost almost nothing extra. I had a gall bladder attack in Bermuda, where Medicare does not cover, and my supplemental policy picked it up. Most of it.

Many foreign countries have figured out that Americans are used to paying through the nose for medical service. Bermuda charged $5,000 for an emergency room visit with X Ray and CT scan, and a friend of our visited a nurse in Jamaica at one of those 'all inclusives' and was charged $3,000. Yeah
Medicare works, we are told, in Canada and Mexico.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,691 times
Thanks for you answers.

I have one more question about getting Medigap and Part D plans. I want them to start the same time as Part B, do I need my Medicare info before I sign up for those plans? How can I make sure I don't have a gap in coverage when I go from my work coverage to Part D?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
...Medicare works, we are told, in Canada and Mexico.
I question whether it works in Mexico. I have no idea about Canada.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Medicare works, we are told, in Canada and Mexico.
Only in very limited circumstances, i.e. if you're traveling within the US and the nearest hospital happens to be in Mexico or Canada.
For retirees in foreign countries, Medicare pays zero benefits. It's my understanding that one has the option of continuing to pay/carry Medicare in case they want to return to the US for medical treatment. Otherwise they can opt out altogether.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:22 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Keep in mind 65 is early. Full retirement age is currently 66.

Medicare still starts at 65.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Full retirement age is currently 66.
Better expand on that to say collecting SS before FRA of 66 will result in a reduced SS payment. It could be OP is just working for the health insurance. I wonder if he knows how expensive Medigaps can be - plus drug coverage - $200/mo., easy, for both. Plus, another $105 Part B.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Better expand on that to say collecting SS before FRA of 66 will result in a reduced SS payment. It could be OP is just working for the health insurance. I wonder if he knows how expensive Medigaps can be - plus drug coverage - $200/mo., easy, for both. Plus, another $105 Part B.
It's still cheaper than private insurance, and it's better coverage than my group plan. The only surprise is how expensive dental insurance is.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Thanks for you answers.

I have one more question about getting Medigap and Part D plans. I want them to start the same time as Part B, do I need my Medicare info before I sign up for those plans? How can I make sure I don't have a gap in coverage when I go from my work coverage to Part D?
Your current insurance is good for a whole month and almost always, if not always, there is a 30 day grace period for non-payment if there is some unusual problem or delay and you don't want to pay for another month.
That covered month should be an adequate amount of time to get the Parts B and D.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:50 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
It's still cheaper than private insurance, and it's better coverage than my group plan. The only surprise is how expensive dental insurance is.
If you find a good dental plan, please share. Lot depends on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement