Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:13 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times

Advertisements

Happy.........that's good to hear. One less thing to have to worry about! Best wishes to your DH, CCc girl!

Well I'm just 2 weeks tomorrow from my replacement. Apparently my insurance has approved the procedure and now it's just the waiting game until 11/4. Already received a bill from my surgeon's office for the 20% co-pay for his services. Kind of took me by surprise, but guess things have really changed since my last major procedure. Oh well, I'm just extremely thankful that I was able to get insurance before I had to have this done. I have had an increased amount of pain over the last several days, so I'm guessing that karma is letting me know that I won't be getting out of the surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
So you had the catheter only while under anesthesia?
That is correct. DM me if either you or he would like to talk to me.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Thanks, HiW, you are a treasure.

Roth, please keep posting on the ordeal.

I hadn't given any thought to the durable medical equipment we may need. He has a cane and I picked up a walker over the summer. Did everyone need the elevated toilet seat?

Anything else you had to get?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
CCc......if you decide to add a riser, let me suggest the one we found that is the least intrusive and doesn't change the overall look of the commode and more importantly, the size of the 'hole'.
It's more noticeable in the photo than really (seldom see the toilet from that angle) and because I positioned it without needing the one in front other than with an elongated seat.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G4B430W?psc=1

Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times
old_cold............Do you think it's really necessary to have the seat riser? The reason that I ask is that we already have comfort height toilets, plus I am barely 5'2". I would be concerned that my feet wouldn't even touch the floor!

My doc's office has suggested some optional equipment such as a long handled tool for reaching, a long handled back brush and a tool to help for putting on socks. Apparently the insurance should pay for a walker and/or cane, although I already have a cane. Living in a 55+ community there are always walkers for sale on our community website, but not sure if it would be cheaper to buy that or pay the co-pay.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Necessary? There is seldom a 'one size fits all".
It is just that it's easier to get back up if your hips and knees already have that head start.
Perhaps you can pad yours or a chair out to the projected height and see how comfortable it would be for you.

I didn't get them for me but even with my husband gone, they aren't coming off. I have 'shrunk down' to 5'3" and do know that I have gotten so used to the extra height that now I much prefer it.
And one toilet was new, so is the ADA compliant 18".
Often, you can get a nice walker buying one yourself . I have a Rollator sitting here I got for $10.And Medicare may only approve you renting one if your condition isn't permanent.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I had the catheter in for the first 24 hours and I was glad. I did not want to have to get up right away after the surgery from the bed. And I had on those puffy blow up things on both legs to keep from getting blood clots. They are attached to a pump so it all has to be disconnected in order to get up.

Of course, when the MALE nurse said he would be taking out the catheter, I said NO you won't. I waited for the female RN to do it !

I got a raised toilet seat at the GoodWill in a box. Very clean. Washed it thoroughly with bleached and used it alot. It was a god send. Too hard to get down on a regular toilet. The must haves include ice packs, lots of them. And lots of reading materials. You won't have to put on socks. Just keep the long white pressure ones (Teds) on all the time. In the shower you can wash them !

Afterwards, donated the walker and seat back to Good will. Cheerfully.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
old_cold............Do you think it's really necessary to have the seat riser? The reason that I ask is that we already have comfort height toilets, plus I am barely 5'2". I would be concerned that my feet wouldn't even touch the floor!

My doc's office has suggested some optional equipment such as a long handled tool for reaching, a long handled back brush and a tool to help for putting on socks. Apparently the insurance should pay for a walker and/or cane, although I already have a cane. Living in a 55+ community there are always walkers for sale on our community website, but not sure if it would be cheaper to buy that or pay the co-pay.
I never needed one and I am 5'7". Would have been a complete waste of money. The grabber thing was nice, but never needed the sock thing. Walker was awesome...couldn't have done without that. My insurance paid for it, 100%. Only used it about a week though.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:44 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Hipsters, DH is concerned about being catheterized after sugery because supposedly you can't toilet right after. Is this true?
Never had a catheder. Was up using the bathroom within a few hours after surgery. Used the walker...was just fine.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Rgabks, Chessie. Good suggestion for the grab bar, as well, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness