U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,798,125 times

Advertisements

Fifty - The Huffington Post by kpeddicord@liveandinvestoverseas.com (Kathleen Peddicord) @ Why More People Are Retiring Overseas | Kathleen Peddicord

I've been in contact with a large group of Americans living in Baa California and all of them say basically the same things the author of this article does. And, more and more countries are welcoming them and providing a little extra to make themselves inviting.

Are you planning to do this? If so, where and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM

11,090 posts, read 12,475,857 times
I can't see it. I was born in America and this is where I'll stay. Why on Earth would I want to move to some third world country? Anyway, can you find a good pizza in Yuckbackistan? I doubt it.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,047 times
I looked into moving to a Latin American country for 2 years. Originally I had wanted to do it because I would be able to retire now and would have enough money to live the rest of my life there.

I changed my mind after reading many blogs, and talking privately to many Ex-pats. The general consensus is that the most vocal of the International living sites is not the most honest. Their purpose is to make money so they tend to white wash what it is live to live overseas.

I hear good things about medical care if you can speak the local language. If you can't, you have a big problem.

I am told that even though the natives can live quite inexpensively there is such as thing as "gringo" charges. The natives do not charge people that they perceive to be "rich foreigners" the same prices that they would charge people born there. This includes taxis, rent, food, etc.

Crime is a problem. Foreigners are targeted. Police can be corrupt. I have been warned to stay home at night, to never travel alone.

Being that these are third world countries, there are many inconveniences.

Work/repairs are not performed on any time schedule and lots of things are Jerry-rigged. In some places you cannot flush TP down a public toilet. You would have to throw it away.

American's safety is not protected by these governments.

No one, and I mean absolutely no one, will tell me what they plan to do for long-term care/assisted living. I must have asked 50 people privately and posted on the question on Ex-pat boards.

I have decided to age in America.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,472,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I can't see it. I was born in America and this is where I'll stay. Why on Earth would I want to move to some third world country? Anyway, can you find a good pizza in Yuckbackistan? I doubt it.

Me too, I like my pizza and my native language is ENGLISH!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
And as usual on the C-D International Living retirement Threads... Those who have no interest or intention to move overseas feel the need to 'project' their reasons and 'common' (?) sense, and GOOD advice (since they have such a depth of passion and experience for living overseas...)

It is NOT like we* have a choice to stay in USA... *Shoestring USA retirees pre age 65 & w/o HC

There are many +/- of living overseas and it is not for everyone.. but it is a viable and the preferred choice for many. It is really interesting to live with the 'locals' of another nation. 1st or 3rd world. As a 'retiree' I still have a lot to learn. I live like a local when international. I have lived as an ex-pat, and that is not for me. You will always be a 'foreigner' if you segregate yourself and DRAG along your habits.... whether moving to another state / or nation.

Retire in Asia
http://internationalliving.com/2013/...ost-of-living/

Another country offering perks.. (and their EXCELLENT healthcare will cost you just a few bucks a month and will ACCEPT (and expect) some pre-existing conditions, unlike ACA which can and WILL reject YOU)

Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,531,033 times
It wasn't "fringe" as the author of the article says, even 30 years ago. At that time, many people retired to eastern Europe, because their small retirement income would go much further. I don't know what they did for health care at that time, though.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:56 AM

8,399 posts, read 9,145,702 times
Hmm...

Let's see. I should leave all that is familiar and comfortable in my late 60s and start over in a strange culture-in a land where I don't speak the language. In a land where I will always be an outsider. Bye Bye to friends and family. And for what? So my money goes a bit further?

No Thanks!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,016,359 times
I love the way we work our butts off all our lives to go to sunny climes,
and those in sunny climes are all trying to come to our corner of the world.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,292,786 times
> I have been warned to stay home at night, to never travel alone.

Me too, in the bigger US cities.

> Work/repairs are not performed on any time schedule

Same with my kitchen and bathroom renovations (in the US).

Not EVERYTHING is different.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> I have been warned to stay home at night, to never travel alone.

Me too, in the bigger US cities.

> Work/repairs are not performed on any time schedule

Same with my kitchen and bathroom renovations (in the US).

Not EVERYTHING is different.
and get prepared for 'queuing up' for HC (what little will be available to you).

'Queuing' is not a core competency in the USA
Nor is spending 30% of your poverty income on food! and hunting through the trash of the elite to get enough $ to eat each day. Hopefully not coming to the USA before we depart... but probable to come eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement