U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,638,094 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid-20's, single, male, making decent income, being socially opened and involved. But I know at some point I will join the army of retirees, and it is a one-way path. I want to make sure I do the right things now so by the time I turn 65 there will be little regret, and I can still enjoy life after that. Would those of you that are retired share with young folks like me that life is like in retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 PM

225 posts, read 311,583 times
It's like every day is Saturday.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,280,109 times
It's like a day when you call in sick for work, and your not sick, and you don't care cause you never have to go back, and you do it again, and again, and again, and again...........

Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,436,059 times
You can do whatever you want whenever you want to do it, or you don't have to do anything if you don't want. And you can take a nap whenever you feel like it.

You can develop a hobby or other interest you never had time for before. You can devote as much time as you want to causes or activities that matter to you. You don't have to answer to anyone except yourself. Do whatever makes you happy or has meaning for you.

Retirement is like anything else in life. It's what you decide to make of it.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Retirement is nice, but certainly not worth WAITING for (cuz you may not make it)

Work hard and play hard.
Retire early, Age 20 is soon enough.

Read the book 'Dying Broke', it will give you an 'attitude adjustment' that allows you to retire early even tho working. The main theme is "quit your job, but don't tell your boss"... Essentially YOU have the decision power to make work / retirement 'fun' and there is no sense of the 'burden' of work your whole life, cuz you have the freedom to quit anytime you have a better option!!. AND keep your eyes and ideas open to a 'better match' (if necessary). Whatever you do... work hard and intently while at work, and use it only as a tool to fund your 'other-life'. If you have a great job... then ENJOY it!. If you are self employed... you will work double hard, but it is worth it for many.

I did flex hours and worked for a terrific company that gave me lots of perks, including LONG stints of 'time-off-with-out-pay' (by MY choice.) And I took FULL advantage of it throughout my 30+ career yrs. Sometimes working for start-ups, doing my own business, farming, traveling, caring for others, or just resting. When I worked... I did so very hard (12 - 16 hrs/day) though complex projects (sometimes yrs in duration), then I would take some serious time off. My job also PAID me to travel and live internationally. That was very good for my family, but tough on me (long hours and jerks / highly aspiring individuals for bosses). It is very true there is only a 2 class society in most of the world.

Others do the 9-5 thing and complain everyday for 30+ yrs. Some just do it as a 'duty' and are quite content.

Work was always secondary (or usually MUCH lower priority) in my life. I worked nights as much as possible due to better wages, less stinkin dayshift whiners, fewer bosses, and MORE freedom (everyday is a day off!).

You will find your place. Just don't hold out for 'the-good-life'... Life has a way of throwing 'curve-balls'.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
I think planning needs to start about your age or sooner. Decide what your goals are in both age and things to do. Certainly its like planning your career :IMO ;really no different. just as how you can't be sure something isn't going to happen tomorrow or before or at time you retire. you can only plan.If you based everything on possible problems then you'd never plan anything from once you could.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Default Poster Chaofan hit the nail squarely on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
.......Retirement is like anything else in life. It's what you decide to make of it.
I agree. I agree so much that I took the liberty of bolding the statement. Some people are bored in retirement while others have lots of interesting things to do such as hobbies, activities, travel, and volunteer work. Some people are near destitute while others are quite comfortable financially. Some people are socially isolated in retirement while others have a network of family, friends, and acquaintances with whom they interact. Some people remain healthy and vibrant in retirement while others fight serious health problems as early as their 60's. For some people retirement is indeed a "one-way street" as the OP stated while others have been able to return to the workplace (although older folks often have trouble finding another decent job and it's not something to count on).

So here is my advice, for what it's worth, to the OP: Start planning financially for retirement early in life. Develop interests/hobbies outside of your career. Cultivate friendships. Adopt healthy eating and exercise habits early in life. Quit smoking now if you smoke.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 AM

11,081 posts, read 12,461,714 times
You don't have some moron supervisor yelling at you and telling you what an idiot you are every single day. You wake up when you want. When it's snowing outside and 4 degrees on a Monday you can sit inside with your coffee, toasty warm watching the worker bees trudge off to work. It's Tuesday, I think I'll go fishing. And to quote Henry Beemis, "there's time now, time enough at last."

Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,135,159 times
Retirement is a life that you create or not, starting when young. Critical checkpoints are at specific stages in your life span. If you fail to meet these checkpoints your future will be set. The house you purchase with a 30 year mortgage should be purchased at age 30. Looking at age 60 checkpoint you should be totally debt free. Toys and hobbies and special interests should be totally paid for as to avoid the financial pressure of such things. The amount of your savings should generate enough income to cover your living expenses. If that is not the case then you must reduce expenses to match. You will not be able to work in almost all cases, either due to discrimination or health issues. Starting when young focus on increasing net worth. Focus on that issue with every major purchase or financial decision. Monthly research the world at large. Is there anything out there, new inventions or businesses that can help you increase your net worth.
Your energy level and physical abilities and health will determine in which activities you will be able to participate.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,126,066 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or