U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 AM

152 posts, read 574,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Boy does this sound familiar. Before we retired I read every book and magazine about WHERE to retire, BEST retirement spots, etc. I looked at **** (no matter what criteria you put in, certain cities always come up so I'm pretty sure cities pay to be on this list), Sperlings Best Places, etc.
I did tax comparisons (they don't tell the whole story), weather comparisons (some stats are incorrect in Sperlings), crime comparisons (again..a relative thing and can be misleading), water/air quality comparisons. I searched Realtor.com and local real estate sites for a variety of areas. We bought an RV and spent 5 years checking out all sorts of areas. Looked for low property taxes, low/no income taxes, no snow, etc...what we found is:

You WILL pay taxes one way or another....find someplace where taxes are moderate in all areas. Cause if you don't pay income tax you'll probably make up for it in real estate tax. Some places have high insurance some low. Some places have lower gas prices, but longer drive times. etc..etc...

Find a place YOU like no matter what the books say. If you don't want snow go south. If you want a little snow hit the midwest, if you want wide open spaces, hit Wyoming, Montana, etc. Then determine what your MOST important 2-3 critiera are and check it out.

After 5 years of searching with a long long list of "wants and needs" it ended up our top criteria was: A litte snow ok, lots of snow wasn't. Lower cost of housing (from CA or Las Vegas). A "rural" feel near a small city. Lots of places to play (lakes, rivers, restaurants, sports, etc.).

So here we are between Springfield and Branson MO....we love it and for us it is nearly perfect.
I had to laugh because I also have been reading as many books and articles as I can get my hands on. At the end, however, where are we going to retire? Close to the grandchildres! My wife smiled at all my research and then "made" the decision... Men are not what they used to be... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM

34,696 posts, read 33,714,187 times
The retirement magazines and some retirement seminars are shilling for their advertisers who want to attract a particular type who can afford to buy their homes/land. That is why their articles will rarely mention renting opportunities in the community being featured, even though many retirees would like to have someone else worry about mowing the lawn, fixing the kitchen sink and painting the windowsills (but can't afford to pay someone else to do it) and will hype the featured town (look for a big developer/master planned community ad, in that town, in the same issue) as being a mahhhhvelous place for boating, golf (or any other sport where you don't get dirty) and the symphony but not mention if there are baseball diamonds, a shooting range, a bowling alley, woodworking classes, a bass club, a scrapbooker's group, 20 different places to worship, or a Home Depot/Wal-Mart nearby. Bikes and running are in, motorcycles and car racing are out.

I always thought it was very humorous to read many articles about people wanting to live in a college town, not to actually take classes, but so they could be near "cultural activities." It's like, they're too wealthy to learn anything new but maybe some of the brains will rub off on them if they go to the ballet at the University in the town, 3 times a year. These would be the same people whose master planned community social director is offering classes like "How To Find Your Baby Boomer Inner Child."

Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 AM

103 posts, read 703,601 times
Living near a va hospital means lots of retires.Living in the migs of all ages means you can help each other.
Facilities Locator Home Page - Facilities Locator & Directory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement