U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM

6,684 posts, read 3,649,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
This is from 50 HuffPost and I have no idea what agenda InternationalLiving.com has so can't give any reason for the rankings. Panama #1? Read @ The World's Best Places To Retire In 2014*|&nbspInternationalLiving.com
I guess Panama is fine if you like living in a sauna every-time you set foot out of doors. For a desert rat like myself, that would be torture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 AM

5,172 posts, read 2,042,962 times
I did some research on retiring outside the USA, but found out some things they don't tell you, in most cases. First, to live cheap, you have to live more like the natives, which means often giving up modern conveniences. There are high import taxes on many things in these countries, so purchasing some items can get very expensive vs. USA. I finally figured out, that it the lifestyle you want to live with have more to do with your retirement cost than where you live it. Its quite possible to live very cheap in the USA, and that's what I plan to do. If I run into an expensive medical procedure I need, then I just be a medical tourist.

Besides that, these lists are bogus. Mexico? Not anymore. Kidnapping, drug cartels? No thanks. Its questionable whether its all that safe in Mex. unless you stay right in the tourist area, like Jamaica.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 PM

264 posts, read 169,337 times
Augie, that's what my husband and said about security but he always looks on the down side of everything. Like Panama, security, when will it be "taken over" and Ecuador , same thing, Instability of another country. So he is partly right....? Has my bubble burst ? Thank you

Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM

226 posts, read 127,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
This is from 50 HuffPost and I have no idea what agenda InternationalLiving.com has so can't give any reason for the rankings. Panama #1? Read @ The World's Best Places To Retire In 2014 - InternationalLiving.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Links and info about the web site and magazine.
International living - Live, Retire and Invest Overseas.

International Living Magazine - Since 1979

International Living will broaden your horizons in every issue.
[b]

Seems like it is a niche magazine with a targeted audience and not a broader public like that when linked by Huffington and other web services etc etc. Clearly not for everyone but for someone.

Hope this helps bring clarification as folks discuss.
I was a paid subscriber to International Living for a couple years, and still get almost daily missives from them. Their agenda is making money, and I've found if I respond with cash I get yet another invitation to spend yet more cash. I'm surprised anyone got that list "for free". When I clicked the link promising to tell me the top places to retire in 2014, there was a long (very long) vague essay followed, at last, by the "order now" button. There's certainly nothing wrong with this, but I prefer Expat Exchange for doing research on other countries. John Brady is an example of a blogger who has monetized his blog (and I'm assuming this) by affiliating with 55+ communities. But he has tons of information available, fora, etc. And of course, here we are on City Data, another example of win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Is there anyone that has moved or thought of moving to Panama or Ecuador ? We are retired and live on 2800.00 a month. These two areas seem so beautiful on line. Can't imagine what it's like to move there? Any info appreciated. Thanks Where would we start ?
tarajane, I've been to both and Ecuador is one of my favorite countries. I'd consider living there, but I'm only considering part time ex-patrification at most. I live in the rural midwest and I defy anyone to beat the COL/standard of living ratio anywhere else in the world. Granted, the only waves I see from my deck are amber waves of grain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement