Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:49 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I remember my boyfriends' truck vibrating from the volume when we played The Doors in 1969.
And being given dirty looks or being yelled at - by people of the older persuasion.
We usually weren't polite in our responses.

The more things change, the more they stay the same
Yeah, so all that great Doors music is still available. Only now, when you play it so loud your gas mileage suffers, the dirty looks come from people of the younger generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Many years ago, a convenience store owner found that his store was the hang-out for MANY of the local teens. While he liked the business, it was driving away other customers. He started blaring out classical music during those afterschool hours and the crowds greatly thinned out.

I think that a lot of retailers are doing the same to seep the customers moving out rather than lingering.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
What has contributed to the current obliviousness to the health hazards of Noise today, stems from Reagan's gutting the Noise division of the EPA back in the 1980's, according to Noisefree.org. That needs to be reinstated, along with policing powers, in the form of decimeters, which are quite cheap to buy. Anyone can buy one, under $40, and register the decibel levels yourself for danger levels.

Examples:

Normal conversation: 50-65 decibels
Garbage disposal: 80 decibels
Jet fly-over/1000 feet: 103 decibels
Chain-saw: 110 decibels
Thunderclap: 120 decibels

Beyond the threshold of pain: 125 decibels

Shotgun firing: 130 decibels
Boom cars: 145 decibels

Here, in Las Vegas, I understand we have a Noise Patrol vehicle on the Las Vegas Strip, which monitors boom cars coming to the Strip. All we need is a parade of boom cars driving up and down the Strip here to scare our tourists away!

And if one arrives in your neighborhood, and the owner lives there, people would be surprised how easy it is to rid your neighborhood of these vehicles. There used to be a older senior in my neighborhood who used to do this, and there was no point in asking him how he achieved it, as his only response would be a devilish smile on his face!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM

554 posts, read 745,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What has contributed to the current obliviousness to the health hazards of Noise today, stems from Reagan's gutting the Noise division of the EPA back in the 1980's, according to Noisefree.org.

<SNIP>

And if one arrives in your neighborhood, and the owner lives there, people would be surprised how easy it is to rid your neighborhood of these vehicles. There used to be a older senior in my neighborhood who used to do this, and there was no point in asking him how he achieved it, as his only response would be a devilish smile on his face!
Pray Tell ... HOW did he do it? Our neighborhood has a regular "parade" of 'boom cars' (and trucks) going by - people who live in the neighborhood, as well as those who are cutting-through to get somewhere-else. I'd love to know how to perfunctorily cause them to quit working without breaking into their vehicles. Magnets? Degaussers? Lasers?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:15 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
Pray Tell ... HOW did he do it? Our neighborhood has a regular "parade" of 'boom cars' (and trucks) going by - people who live in the neighborhood, as well as those who are cutting-through to get somewhere-else. I'd love to know how to perfunctorily cause them to quit working without breaking into their vehicles. Magnets? Degaussers? Lasers?
The poverty of your imagination!!! Ever notice how much more imagination and daring one might have at 3 in the morning, when everyone is sleeping?

Remember the ad for Brylcreem? A little dab'll do ya!

A woman in FL actually filed a noise lawsuit against someone driving thru her neighborhood with one of those boom cars, but have no idea if she won or not!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Gee, what a surprise: A thread in the so-called senior forum dedicated to complaints about people and places playing music too loudly.
You're missing the true irony of this--apart from trendy shops that cater to the youngest shoppers, what a lot of these places are playing so loud is--classic rock and other styles of the period; IOW "older people's music." I mentioned the neighborhood grocery store upthread--today I was in there again and heard "Barbara Ann" for about the third time in a row that I've been there. They've also been playing a lot of country, but I don't know enough about country music to say whether they were playing oldies or not.

It makes no sense.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Louder oldies for the hard of hearing actually makes a certain kind of sense.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:26 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Louder oldies for the hard of hearing actually makes a certain kind of sense.

Before too long, retirement homes will be full of residents demanding Jimi Hendrix at about 100db.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement