U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,307,508 times

Advertisements

Since I retired, I have thrown caution to the wind and let my true personality come out. I am still nice to people and try to be polite, but I am far less concerned with what people think of me. As a result I start conversations with lots strangers just to visit. Many times I get no where, like with my neighbors, but I am shocked how open and candid other middle aged- or older- people can be if you make the first move.

When I was younger, I generally would not talk to people unless we shared a common activity, were neighbors, coworkers, relatives or shared friends. The rest of the people were invisible to me.

Now I am getting into interesting conversations with people who sit next me at the shopping mall, service people, repair men, hairdressers, and people who are waiting in line with me, etc. Many of them react somewhat defensively initially but when I keep talking and they see I don't need anything from them, they suddenly get more relaxed. I can tell they wish more people were friendly like me but initially don't know what to make of it in the normally unfriendly DC Metro area.

How about you, do you chat to more strangers since you retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
I tend to get into casual conversations now around kids, grandkids, and dogs. I didn't do that while working.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM

11,103 posts, read 12,494,246 times
I live in a small mountain town where everyone talks to you. So yes, it's kinda neat.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:28 PM

460 posts, read 853,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Nope. And I don't meet nearly as many strangers since I retired, either.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:20 PM

3,459 posts, read 2,258,479 times
I do, though I've always been pretty friendly to folks I've met along the way. I've apparently passed it on to my son who frustrates his wife by getting into lengthy conversations with cashiers and passers-by when his wife just wants to keep moving. I had a lovely conversation with the manager of the service department at my local car dealership the other day -- I guess I just have more time to "visit" than I used to.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

6,131 posts, read 9,098,506 times
Yes. I am becoming my mother. She always would say " I can talk to anyone." and she could and did.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM

39,578 posts, read 47,812,904 times
I have no choice, I live in a retirement community.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:49 AM

19,839 posts, read 19,937,680 times
Both my husband and I have always done so, not just since retirement.
What other reason to exist do all those other people that you run across every day have if not to entertain and amuse you?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
I have found that since I moved to the South native strangers will talk to anybody about anything. I like it.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM

4,766 posts, read 5,445,032 times
So which version are we to believe? This

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Since I retired, I have thrown caution to the wind and let my true personality come out. I am still nice to people and try to be polite, but I am far less concerned with what people think of me. As a result I start conversations with lots strangers just to visit. Many times I get no where, like with my neighbors, but I am shocked how open and candid other middle aged- or older- people can be if you make the first move.

When I was younger, I generally would not talk to people unless we shared a common activity, were neighbors, coworkers, relatives or shared friends. The rest of the people were invisible to me.

Now I am getting into interesting conversations with people who sit next me at the shopping mall, service people, repair men, hairdressers, and people who are waiting in line with me, etc. Many of them react somewhat defensively initially but when I keep talking and they see I don't need anything from them, they suddenly get more relaxed. I can tell they wish more people were friendly like me but initially don't know what to make of it in the normally unfriendly DC Metro area.

Or this?

I like to say weird things to people to see how they will respond!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or