U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM

21,843 posts, read 14,349,419 times

Advertisements

I have been inspired by Gave my notice today! to ask for your last day retirement stories. How did you go off? In a blaze of glory? Quietly, shedding some tears?

For me, I showed up and had a party (which I was not enthusiastic about, but had to acquiesce to) and then at about 1 pm I left. I was too full of emotion to stay. Part of me felt bad about bailing early, and part of me couldn't wait to get out of there.

During the previous week, I had done a bunch of jobs for my manager, and I had deleted all my files, and had given away a couple of things I thought some others might want. I was so done.

I went home. DH came home later and gave me a watch! And we went out to a great restaurant later. I was too excited to enjoy it. I had two more days left on my insurance, so I went to the doc the next day, and got myself brought up to date on all shots and had a physical.

I have never regretted retiring when I did. I regard it as a marvelous gift which I gratefully accepted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:26 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quietly.

I moved from Ohio to California a little over four months before my retirement. I flew back to Ohio a few times for a couple of weeks each to work on location, but worked from home for most of the last four months. The last three weeks were from my home, and my retirement was official about an hour after a major conference call where I went over the actions that still required subsequent actions after my departure.

I received a very nice thank you message from my boss at the end of that day, and an electronic copy of my retirement papers to sign and fax back to headquarters. I did so, and then received a confirmation that they received and processed my final paperwork. They also gave me a message that I would be getting a notice from the Office of Personnel Management the first day of my retirement, the following Monday.

I did so, and that was that. A quiet end to a rather action packed 34 year career.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 PM

460 posts, read 852,904 times
Went in, signed the papers, and went home.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:54 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
spent last few hours finger painting at my desk. arranged for my clients to come in to see me last day, they did not.
was careful to go quietly stopped off to say goodbye to everyone, they all treated me like a dead man leaving in a hearse. im ok with that-- i was especially careful to not say or do anything on the way out. got in the car, left the parking lot went home. stared at the kitchen floor til dark listening to santana. enormous silence.
and this poem
when you have slain the dragon
the village does not in fact turn out to cheer
and the beautiful princess does not in fact fall in love with you

Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
As huge as it was for me, I thought it'd be a ripple for co-workers. I said "no party, dinner, or gift" and they honored my wishes but I was taken aback by the emotions and good will they expressed. Our customers/patrons, also. I figured they'd all be saying "thank god and greyhound she's gone". That they seemed genuinely sad to see me leave, well that made it one of the nicest days of my life.
There were several times during the day when people (coworkers or customers) approached me with that look and I had to hold up a hand and say "stop, please don't say anything, or I'll cry". Then they astonished me by crying themselves. My main thought that day was ~if I'd had any idea they cared so much, I'd never have done this (announced my retirement). The best part was the cards and notes given to me at the end of the day, so I could read them in the safe cushion of home.

I love being retired but gee I'm misting up now just remembering that last day…

Oh yeah, dh and I went to our favorite steakhouse - the one with our favorite bartender - that night. Top shelf cocktails and the most expensive things on the menu. Yeah, that was nice.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM

11,082 posts, read 12,461,714 times
I had already cleaned out all my personal stuff and turned in all my issued property and signed a ton of paperwork, so the last day was a retirement party, a cake, some gifts, a very nice plaque. I said my goodbyes, and left. It was quite the emotional roller coaster after 35 years.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,623,409 times
I said no party, no fuss, but my boss said I couldn't get away with that. So I said, okay a small party. Ohmigosh, what a blowout it was! We have a gallery of fifty or so portraits in one of the office hallways - they put my face over every one! In my department they made a tree on the wall formed of photos of me over the years. My desk was covered with wrapped gifts, floral arrangements and bouquets from staff and vendors I'd worked with. Someone composed a song for my retirement and sang it in front of everyone in the building. There was cake, there was food, there was a large gift certificate to my favorite garden center. I had always intended to slink away quietly but sometimes that's not possible after 25 years.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 PM

119 posts, read 104,674 times
My last day? It was Friday January 1, 2010, a paid holiday.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 AM

15,016 posts, read 4,795,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
spent last few hours finger painting at my desk. arranged for my clients to come in to see me last day, they did not.
was careful to go quietly stopped off to say goodbye to everyone, they all treated me like a dead man leaving in a hearse. im ok with that-- i was especially careful to not say or do anything on the way out. got in the car, left the parking lot went home. stared at the kitchen floor til dark listening to santana. enormous silence.
and this poem
when you have slain the dragon
the village does not in fact turn out to cheer
and the beautiful princess does not in fact fall in love with you
At least you are finished with the 8 to 5 grind and have much more free time. Congrats!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:43 AM

188 posts, read 170,500 times
My last day was Tuesday February 28, 2001. Small party in meeting room at the end of the day.

As it turns out, Ash Wednesday was on March 1 that year so I gave up work for Lent!

I had to get up extra early on Wednesday to hop a 6:30 AM flight for a two week trip to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or